The Decline of Vancouver.

Feb. 22, 2024, 10:38 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: Fast-Orange

How does this even happen? Why was someone under it? Where was the control zone? I fear accidents like this are going to get even more frequent due to how overclocked the industry is now.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/oakridge-cambie-street-crane-incident

Ya, it seems like crane accidents are happening all the time lately. Oakridge is a massive site and they have so many controls on everything it is hard to understand how this could happen.

Once you understand that controls and safety programs are put in place to indemnify the company and not to protect the worker, it becomes a little easier to understand how "accidents" happen.

Last edited by: three-sheets on Feb. 22, 2024, 10:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 22, 2024, 12:40 p.m.

MJ has been legal for 5 years but a carp Buddy of mine has had to quit 2 jobs on the big projects, he wasn't high didnt have any drugs in camp and is not a bad ass but he knew he couldn't piss clean so he just quit which didnt seem to matter cuz somebody high-erd him again

Buddy cut his hand with an olfa knife cuz he is a carpener right, they gave him a bandage, filled out a report and wanted a sample

Last edited by: XXX_er on Feb. 22, 2024, 12:49 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 22, 2024, 4:25 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

How does this even happen? Why was someone under it? Where was the control zone? I fear accidents like this are going to get even more frequent due to how overclocked the industry is now.

Ya, it seems like crane accidents are happening all the time lately. Oakridge is a massive site and they have so many controls on everything it is hard to understand how this could happen.

Once you understand that controls and safety programs are put in place to indemnify the company and not to protect the worker, it becomes a little easier to understand how "accidents" happen.

Fair enough, but they would have a pretty routine plan for running the crane and picking up loads from the street that everyone would have to know.  I have never seen a crane safety plan but what else would they be worried about other than dropping stuff and it's not like the companies want dead pedestrians.  There should not have been anyone below.

Feb. 22, 2024, 5:21 p.m.

Posted by: mammal

I'm not a North Van local, I came from Victoria in 2016, but I'm jumping ship to Ladysmith in April. We bought a home there, because the coastal mainland just isn't approachable from a reasonable mortgage standpoint, and we need to stay close-ish to family on the Island. A secondary factor is that a lot of my friends have already moved away, or have plans to do so. I love the mtb trail and general outdoor accessibility here, but we don't really take advantage of the "city life" benefits, and we're REALLY looking forward to a slower pace environment. The city has really worn us both down over the 8 years we've been here.

If you're not already familiar with them, Old Town Bakery (my inlaws) and Bayview Brewing (inlaws' friends) are great. Also, so much gravel biking from your front door!

Feb. 22, 2024, 5:25 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

I'm not a North Van local, I came from Victoria in 2016, but I'm jumping ship to Ladysmith in April. We bought a home there, because the coastal mainland just isn't approachable from a reasonable mortgage standpoint, and we need to stay close-ish to family on the Island. A secondary factor is that a lot of my friends have already moved away, or have plans to do so. I love the mtb trail and general outdoor accessibility here, but we don't really take advantage of the "city life" benefits, and we're REALLY looking forward to a slower pace environment. The city has really worn us both down over the 8 years we've been here.

If you're not already familiar with them, Old Town Bakery (my inlaws) and Bayview Brewing (inlaws' friends) are great. Also, so much gravel biking from your front door!

Thanks! Yes I'm already an expert on OT cinnamon buns and BV beer/food, all excellent. That family behind Bayview seems super cool.

Feb. 22, 2024, 6:20 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

Fair enough, but they would have a pretty routine plan for running the crane and picking up loads from the street that everyone would have to know.  I have never seen a crane safety plan but what else would they be worried about other than dropping stuff and it's not like the companies want dead pedestrians.  There should not have been anyone below.

This is what I'm confused about. When they're flying tables the procedure is to danger tape the area under the load and have spotters so if something like this does happen there's nobody underneath to get hurt. It's a pretty basic failsafe and for that to not have been observed is a huge dereliction of duty.

Feb. 22, 2024, 6:34 p.m.

Posted by: PaulB

Ah cool! I've been supporting both pretty regular. Lots of nice scenery & views in the woods behind town.

Feb. 23, 2024, 5:19 p.m.

Stop work order on the Oakridge site. Seems like the whole site was a total shitshow. It was the same kind of crap at the Pier West development I was working on for about 9 months. I saw a crane haul an open ended container full of unsecured concrete rubble and other debris over several people working below. I took pictures and told the CSO and she was like "it's fine". 

Worker killed was a mother of 2.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/construction-halted-at-vancouver-site-where-woman-died-as-workers-say-safety-concerns-went-unaddressed-1.6780336

Feb. 23, 2024, 8:03 p.m.

Go fund me for the children of the worker who was killed:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/yuridia-flores?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_content=control1&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Feb. 23, 2024, 9:29 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 26, 2024, 6:27 p.m.

Was in Vancouver today after 2.5 years away. Seems like a lot construction, traffic, homeless people and drugs. 

It’s very sad to see the beautiful city I grew up in turn this way.

Feb. 26, 2024, 9:02 p.m.

Posted by: Putty

Was in Vancouver today after 2.5 years away. Seems like a lot construction, traffic, homeless people and drugs. 

Unfortunately it's been like that for many years.  🙁

Feb. 26, 2024, 9:47 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Posted by: Putty

Unfortunately it's been like that for many years.  🙁

Agreed. But, when you step away and come back it really hits you.

Feb. 29, 2024, 4 p.m.

At least it's not that hippy infested shit-hole known as Vancouver Island.

I kid.

Feb. 29, 2024, 4:07 p.m.

I recently spent 12 hours in ER with a sick kid.  Doctors and nurses were amazing people, truly professional.  But I came away with 2 impressions:

1. Raise $ incentive for doctors and nurses to come here (and allow easy immigration for those doctors and nurses.)  They are truly overworked and underappreciated.

2. Stop all other forms of immigration right the fuck now.

Feb. 29, 2024, 8:25 p.m.

Get rid of the beaurocracy and improve efficiency.  Some simple procedures, like getting a couple of stitches, take far too much time.