The Decline of Vancouver.

Sept. 10, 2023, 10:28 p.m.

Certainly helps, but things like the super goofy bus lane merge lights and light for traffic merging from dollarton southbound right at the north end of the second narrows are not setting people up for success, in fact they actually enforce the opposite.

You can design roadways to help encourage that behavior but most of ours seems to actively encourage start/stop traffic and that new interchange is the poster child for it.

In america that would be a set of dual metering lights that actually enforce an alternating zipper merge, and it'd be way better, but we just cannot get our shit together. I lived Minneapolis for a few months on work assignment and they used those alternating zipper merge lights and it was amazing. What was also cool is the timers were only in play during rush hour, off-hours the lights were just green and they were normal merges so you didn't have to stop arbitrarily.

Living on the deep Cove side merging onto the bridge from dollarton southbound at 6am it's just delightful to have to completely stop at a light when you are literally just onto the bridge to wait for phantom buses that don't exist. It's idiotic.

Last edited by: Kenny on Sept. 10, 2023, 10:30 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 11, 2023, 9:27 a.m.

hmmm, how does a semi flip in a highway curve at 6 AM? Must be the bus lanes on Main St...

https://twitter.com/CityNewsTraffic/status/1701227738429047039?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/09/11/traffic-alert-north-vancouver-highway-1/

Last edited by: heckler on Sept. 11, 2023, 9:33 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 11, 2023, 9:28 a.m.

Posted by: Kenny

Living on the deep Cove side merging onto the bridge from dollarton southbound at 6am it's just delightful to have to completely stop at a light when you are literally just onto the bridge to wait for phantom buses that don't exist. It's idiotic.

Oh yeah, I've stopped ever using the Dollarton onramp.  Asinine.

Sept. 11, 2023, 10:13 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

50 km round trip, 3 hours by google but it takes me 4-5 with a beer stop on the way home. 

Not really making a strong case for giving up a car with this.

Sept. 11, 2023, 10:28 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

50 km round trip, 3 hours by google but it takes me 4-5 with a beer stop on the way home. 

Did I mention the ride there is pedal to Waterfront station, hop the Canada line and get to work in an hour and ten?  A mere 25 minutes longer than driving in stop/go along Marine Drive?

The way home is 100% pedal, 100% separated bike path, past sunny beaches with people playing volleyball and swimming, past Stanley Park brewing and a sunny hilltop overlooking the Pacific, then past lines of cars on Stanley Park causeway, and 100% separated bike pack all the way home, past my choice of another 10 breweries, all located within a block of said separated bike path.

My only complaint is the Powell Street section, where I'm forced to ride the middle of the second lane of road/parking lane, preventing cars from squeezing past me.  Now imagine if drivers also advocated the municipality to finish the Powell Street separated bike path on the sidewalk, then they could have their parking lane back!

Sept. 11, 2023, 12:26 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

My wife is going to be stoked when I let her know I've improved our qualify of life by biking to work. All she has to do is pick up and drop off the kids every day regardless of her schedule, make every dinner, and put them to bed herself every night since the only minor downside is I'm adding a couple hours of transit time before and after work. Hehehe. Oh yeah she's gonna be pumped about this.

Sept. 11, 2023, 12:51 p.m.

There was an interesting tidbit on the CBC y'day about how if everyone in the US drove 10% less it would be the equivalent of reducing the annual emissions of 6 coal fired electricity plants. So driving 10% is like driving one less day every two weeks to work. While I agree that it's not always possible/practical to commute by bike, I think a lot of people could do it once per week. Do that trip on an ebike and the time spent commuting probably drops, you're saving money on gas and you're getting in some extra exercise to boot - win, win, win.

While I like heckler's thinking, Kenny makes a good point about how bike commuting doesn't work all the time for all the people. And I was gonna comment earlier how the new interchange is atrocious. I don't understand what they can't have an alternating light system like they have at the Lougheed on-ramp to highway 1 westbound - it makes so much more sense in terms of traffic flow, especially in off peak hours like Kenny mentioned. The MoT also missed a huge opportunity to improve north bound flow onto the IWMB by having the Cassiar on-ramp merge with the McGill onramp, thereby allowing the traffic from the tunnel to flow straight through onto the bridge and putting a huge dent into the backups there.

Sept. 12, 2023, 4:16 p.m.

It seems like every big highway project designed to make things better quickly becomes the worst part of the city to drive.  

Posted by: Kenny

My wife is going to be stoked when I let her know I've improved our qualify of life by biking to work. All she has to do is pick up and drop off the kids every day regardless of her schedule, make every dinner, and put them to bed herself every night since the only minor downside is I'm adding a couple hours of transit time before and after work. Hehehe. Oh yeah she's gonna be pumped about this.

I think you meant "pick up and drop off the kids on her bike".  Why shouldn't she contribute to your families improved quality of life?  /s

Sept. 12, 2023, 5:28 p.m.

I totally jinxed myself with my short commute brag. Somehow my boss sensed it and has sent me to work in chilliwack for a week. After doing that commute once I packed my camping gear and am about to go find a place down by the river somewhere to pitch a tent. 

And that's with me going east/west in the opposite direction of the real traffic crush. I would lose my mind if I had to do west/east every day.

Sept. 12, 2023, 5:48 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

/s

In some circles, that’s called a facepunch. 

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2014/12/10/case-study-average-everyday-complainypants-seeks-redemption/

Sept. 12, 2023, 5:53 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

It seems like every big highway project designed to make things better quickly becomes the worst part of the city to drive.  

Just one more lane bro!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwFydKmOfa5/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Sept. 13, 2023, 7:38 a.m.

Stayed with friends in Lower Lonsdale last weekend. Lots of units sitting empty in their new purpose built rental building. I suppose no matter how tight the rental market is, at some point the pool of tenants able and willing to pay $4K for a 2 bedroom will dry up and perhaps a sign rents may drop down a bit?

Still a great area, would move back in a heartbeat if I was single.

Sept. 13, 2023, 11:44 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Stayed with friends in Lower Lonsdale last weekend. Lots of units sitting empty in their new purpose built rental building. 

This relates to what is probably the biggest hidden or unknown factor that will affect the housing market - empty condos. If people can no longer afford to simply park their money in an empty condo they'll either need to rent them out or sell them if they don't want the inconvenience or renting. Unfortunately though, people who can afford to park money in a condo that sits empty probably aren't affected by rising interest rates. The actual number of empty homes is unknown, but anecdotally it seems to be a lot and is probably having a notable affect on rental rates and housing prices.

Dec. 22, 2023, 7:05 a.m.

It seems that the article that prompted this thread nearly nine years ago is even more relevant today.

https://sofard.tumblr.com/post/113616107456/the-decline-of-vancouver

Also related is our worsening economic outlook. Our per-capita GDP is down more than expected and our population growth rate is double what it has been historically.

https://financialpost.com/opinion/canada-worst-decade-real-economic-growth-since-1930s

https://economics.td.com/ca-falling-behind-standard-of-living-curve

Last edited by: syncro on Dec. 22, 2023, 7:06 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 29, 2023, 6:49 a.m.

I don't like the fact that the city of Vancouver will not be replacing about 3 dozen live-in caretakers who reside in field houses scattered throughout city parks. Once they get old & move, their job will be contracted out. Another example of losing the personal touch. The company with the lowest bid will be the ones loading the 9 o'clock gun, cleaning the restrooms & keeping the place safe for park users.