The Decline of Vancouver.

March 25, 2023, 8:23 p.m.

Yeah, it was just an interesting example that was posted up in a real-estate group I'm in.

If you're after a decent sized city though Calgary and Edmonton have great pricing in single family homes compared to anything similar in BC.

March 25, 2023, 9:52 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: Fast-Orange

It's still always the right time to buy a primary residence tho right....right?

I know you're saying this facetiously, but depending on ones' situation and how long they plan to stay in one place in may almost always be an okay time to buy. I think anyone who's a first time buyer had been taking on a huge amount of risk getting into the market in the past 5yrs though. The thing is that there are so many different variables to consider that it makes it difficult to put the choice of buying a home into a simple one or two factor equation. Kinda like buying your first mountain bike. The real wrench for Canadians has been the population increase - most of that immigration - and everyone needs somewhere to live. We really haven't kept up with creating enough accommodation for everyone and/or making sure that the housing that is here is being made available for use.

You could move to small town Nova Scotia and buy a great house on a few acres with an ocean view for peanuts compared to what it would cost to buy a clapped out studio apartment in Vancouver.

Check this out:

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/25393136/3623-highway-1-st-bernard-st-bernard

No I asked that because we just bought a condo in new west.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on March 25, 2023, 9:52 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 25, 2023, 10:18 p.m.

Wow. I remember you thinking about it before but saying you weren’t sure for a few different reasons. Hopefully it makes your life better both short and long term.

March 26, 2023, 7:24 a.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

You don't have to go all the way across the country for a cheap ocean view...

Where ya thinking? Gold River? Thasis?

March 26, 2023, 7:38 a.m.

I live on port mcneill now. No regrets afrer a year and a bit

Last edited by: Adam-West on March 26, 2023, 7:39 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 26, 2023, 8:10 a.m.

I took a look at Sayward pre-pandemic when it was a lot cheaper. Port McNeil is cheap by Vancouver standards, but it's still not cheap relative to average incomes - at least with the price increases in the last couple of years. This could be the right opportunity for someone at $465K though

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/25101361/2024-camosun-cres-w-port-mcneill-port-mcneill

March 26, 2023, 8:47 a.m.

House prices went up for 40 yars and almost nobody remembers them going down

OR interest rates doing what they have just done

I don't know what the housing prices will do or if buying one is a good idea

I know a lot of people all over Canada can't afford what they bought

March 26, 2023, 9:10 a.m.

I spent a summer working there and in Port Hardy and Alert Bay.  Beautiful place.  So much outdoor stuff to do.  Have you checked out Devil's Bath?

March 26, 2023, 4:11 p.m.

Posted by: switch

I spent a summer working there and in Port Hardy and Alert Bay.  Beautiful place.  So much outdoor stuff to do.  Have you checked out Devil's Bath?

We're pretty much fixtures at the bar in the devils bath after our back road adventures. 

We moved here to be closer to the west coast beach camping we like to do and the back road adventures are practically limitless. We went out for 8 hours today and it was pretty  busy, we saw 3 other trucks.. lol

A big plus is the closest traffic light 200km away in campbell

Housing  has gone up a lot here in the last little bit.  Definitely  wouldn't wanna be starting out now.. but for us i cant think if a better town  to live in. Campbell river is still really nice but the homeless there are making it a bit rough again..

March 27, 2023, 4:09 p.m.

Wow. I remember you thinking about it before but saying you weren’t sure for a few different reasons. Hopefully it makes your life better both short and long term.

Yeah I hope it was a good choice too. For short term it's been pretty stressful but I think it was the right thing to do for our long term situation. Thankfully our mortgage is relatively small and our monthly payments with strata fee are still less than a similar unit would rent for. We had almost 50% for the down payment and locked in for 3 years at 5.12 %

Strata seems decent so far. Depreciation report looked good. Stuff is getting replaced on time and there are already funds in place for future maintenance. It's also a fairly live and let live environment. Nobody is telling people what they can or can't have on their balcony.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on March 27, 2023, 4:24 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 28, 2023, 12:35 p.m.

I took a look at Sayward pre-pandemic when it was a lot cheaper. Port McNeil is cheap by Vancouver standards, but it's still not cheap relative to average incomes - at least with the price increases in the last couple of years. This could be the right opportunity for someone at $465K though

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/25101361/2024-camosun-cres-w-port-mcneill-port-mcneill

Damn.  That is a lot of house for $465 for the perspective of a guy living in Squamish.  It looks like someone gave it some lipstick and rouge to flip it but ran out of cash before they get to the exterior.

Personally if I am moving back to the sticks I would want more privacy.

March 28, 2023, 1:21 p.m.

click on it, the exteriour is stained shakes ^^ not chip board if thats what you are saying, I duno if i like it ? my neighbor's house was chip board & ship lap for quite awhile

people used to ask me if it was my unfinished shop.

Last edited by: XXX_er on March 28, 2023, 1:22 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 28, 2023, 3:14 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Damn.  That is a lot of house for $465 for the perspective of a guy living in Squamish.  It looks like someone gave it some lipstick and rouge to flip it but ran out of cash before they get to the exterior.

Personally if I am moving back to the sticks I would want more privacy.

I mean I get that yeah, but being able to walk everywhere for all your needs is pretty great.

and if you want to be  private.. how could you not enjoy life when this is "close" to home.

March 28, 2023, 7:50 p.m.

YMMV I lived right across from the best vue in town with 2 water falls but after 5 years I never looked at it

moving into town 2 blk from main st/ close to the craft brew was more my speed and people wanted to rent my basement suite which is not a given if you are 10kms out of town but everone has different needs and wants

my house is 2 story but all the houses around me are one story so I don't see them

March 29, 2023, 6:48 a.m.

Yeah I hope it was a good choice too. For short term it's been pretty stressful but I think it was the right thing to do for our long term situation. Thankfully our mortgage is relatively small and our monthly payments with strata fee are still less than a similar unit would rent for. We had almost 50% for the down payment and locked in for 3 years at 5.12 %

Strata seems decent so far. Depreciation report looked good. Stuff is getting replaced on time and there are already funds in place for future maintenance. It's also a fairly live and let live environment. Nobody is telling people what they can or can't have on their balcony.

Don't forget the benefit of not having to worry about getting kicked out of your rental and being in a panic of trying to find a new place to live.  Having good neighbours is a huge plus too.