The Decline of Vancouver.

Aug. 2, 2022, 8:03 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Plus it's a pre-sale so it will instantly be worth more once it's built.

So much for the ‘it’s a home, not an investment’ theory….

That's going to leave a mark.

Aug. 2, 2022, 8:28 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: XXX_er

different markets but you still gotta take care of an STR no matter where its located and outsourcing the staging eats into your bottom line

wanking about with the airBnB the process involves wanking about with shit head STR renters, the same people will give your STR bad feedback cuz they don't like your choice of granola,

also the situ can change like it did in a pandemic to produce no income or if a town changes zoning/ rules/ ordinances you could be facked

IMO these STR's involve sketchy business practises any time the LL does not live in the property to take care of it cuz it  fucks with any other LTR types living in the same building who have to deal with the STR types coming into the building that do not care so it could all go away just like that and any way your town or city fucks your shit up over the 6 STR's you are doing  a bad job of running in buildings where you don't live ... you deserve 200 %

while a low maintenance/ low hassle/ long term rental just keeps paying that same $ month after month year after year, the total involvement this month was to notice she paid the rent

What's pretty wild is despite all that, the ABnB thing still works quite well for some people.

My point is no matter what you read no STR is hassle free

there is always fucking around for your money

whereas IME  an LTR has been virtually hassle free since 2010

Aug. 2, 2022, 9:03 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

My point is no matter what you read no STR is hassle free

there is always fucking around for your money

whereas IME  an LTR has been virtually hassle free since 2010

Every rental property, short term or long term, will have potential hassles to deal with and/or limits on income, it's the nature of doing the business. It's up to the individual to choose how much risk they want to take on and how much work they are willing to do for the income they want or need. Because of these and other factors, any one person's experience is not necessarily reflective of the rental market as a whole. For example, not everyone can get double the income from an ABnB vs a long term rental; but some people do. 

What I know for certain though is that I never said an ABnB was hassle free, so I'm not sure why you'd want to argue about something I never said.

Aug. 3, 2022, 8:07 a.m.

well in almost 2 decades of wanking about on NBR IME we like to argue and take points off of one another

and sometimes i just post the most stupid thing i can think of becuz its NBR

and so while the money is not the same the effort isnt either

Last edited by: XXX_er on Aug. 3, 2022, 8:37 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 3, 2022, 10:25 a.m.

These people have 19 listings in North Van: https://www.airbnb.ca/users/16472143/listings

Last May my parents stayed in one of their places in Lower Lonsdale, it was the most affordable option close to us and all amenities. Apartment was great, had everything one could possibly need, was professionally cleaned.

But that's 19 rental units off the market for local residents and that just from one investor.

I'd like to see short-term rental permit system that limits the number of short term rentals per owner and per building, maybe even per area.

Last edited by: [email protected] on Aug. 3, 2022, 10:27 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 3, 2022, 10:34 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

These people have 19 listings in North Van: https://www.airbnb.ca/users/16472143/listings

Last May my parents stayed in one of their places in Lower Lonsdale, it was the most affordable option close to us and all amenities. Apartment was great, had everything one could possibly need, was professionally cleaned.

But that's 19 rental units off the market for local residents and that just from one investor.

I'd like to see short-term rental permit system that limits the number of short term rentals per owner and per building, maybe even per area.

It would be interesting to see how that directly affects the hotel industry.  It is tough to compete when even fairly expensive hotels often smell bad, they have outdated TVs with cable, and it is pretty obvious since COVID that they are understaffed.

Aug. 3, 2022, 11:40 a.m.

I think a limited permit system, kinda like taxis, would make the most sense.

I wonder if there is data that shows the number of:

- available housing units
- number that are owner occupied
- number that are LTR's
- number that are STR's
- number that sit empty

I know 100% accurate data isn't available for all those categories, but it would help to show how much of an impact STR's have on the LTR market.

Aug. 3, 2022, 1:25 p.m.

At the building level, many stratas limit the number of units that can be rented, and many ban short-term rentals.  Of course, enforcement is a challenge, and often comes down to neighbours ratting someone out to the strata board when they realize there is a steady stream of strangers coming and going.

Aug. 3, 2022, 3:22 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Plus it's a pre-sale so it will instantly be worth more once it's built.

So much for the ‘it’s a home, not an investment’ theory….

That's going to leave a mark.

Do I have to reference the Matt Boors comic?

Aug. 3, 2022, 3:57 p.m.

Probably. I have no idea who Matt Boors is

Aug. 3, 2022, 4:49 p.m.

Aug. 3, 2022, 4:50 p.m.

Don’t care enough to look. 

Plus you spelled Boors wrong so your point is invalid.

Aug. 3, 2022, 4:53 p.m.

Don’t care enough to look. 

Plus you spelled Boors wrong so your point is invalid.

How would you know I spelled Boors wrong if you didn't look?

Aug. 3, 2022, 4:55 p.m.

Cause it’s in that toon you posted

Aug. 3, 2022, 4:56 p.m.

I love how I complained about career real estate investors owning multiple properties then I make a comment about the economic advantage of buying a pre-sale as a primary residence and now I'm a hypocrite.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Aug. 3, 2022, 4:57 p.m., edited 2 times in total.