The decline of forums

Feb. 16, 2017, 5 p.m.

special interest forums where you can find knowledge and ask stuff are still quite popular

YouTube has a lot of great videos for learning just about anything anything.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 16, 2017, 5:25 p.m.

YouTube has a lot of great videos for learning just about anything anything.

and that's about it. only mad people expect some kind of conversation there. which brings us back to forums ;)

Feb. 16, 2017, 8:25 p.m.

I like to hear what people that don't agree with me think. Even you Tungsten. :)

Awww….shucks. :o

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Feb. 16, 2017, 9:51 p.m.

I think a few of the biggest things would be 1. having a smart phone in your pocket. 2.social media. I use to cruise forums mainly to waste some time, check out maybe a few new things, see whats happening. That can easily be done on your phone with a quick cruise through FB, Instagram and twitter not leaving much time left for forums.

http://carcraftautorepair.ca/

Follow Us On FaceBook

Feb. 16, 2017, 11:10 p.m.

I frequent three forums that I feel are pretty decent communities, this being one of them. As for Facebook, I use it to keep up to date with my favourite bands and businesses. My family has a private group, we use the poll feature to plan event dates and what not. I've joined a few other groups but they all became insufferable at some point.

Feb. 17, 2017, 8:36 a.m.

Educated people are failing us tremendously. No critical thinking, no learning to person by taking responsibility.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberals-forgive-student-loans-again-1.3982728

Its so much more complicated than that.

School is business -[HTML_REMOVED] business' sell -[HTML_REMOVED] schools sell courses -[HTML_REMOVED] rapid tech changes require additional schooling -[HTML_REMOVED] schools focus on profits over pertinent education -[HTML_REMOVED] higher school costs -[HTML_REMOVED] student loans -[HTML_REMOVED] limited job market opportunities -[HTML_REMOVED] stagnant wage growth -[HTML_REMOVED] defaults on loans.

How do you change one part of that cycle without blowing up the whole system or driving it down to ideologies of lib/con, black/white?

When did pillars of our civilization become profit driven? And why have we been so complicit in this?

Feb. 17, 2017, 9:08 a.m.

No worries everyone, once the robots cater to our every need we can do whatever the hell we want, ride bikes, play video games, chit chat here all day, and there won't be any reason to argue about politics because our Supreme AI Leader will have all our shit figured out. And the best part… we are the perfect age to enjoy it and die before the robots turn against us and send out the terminators.

:woot:

EDIT: Woot? Cam, we may need to update these things.

Feb. 17, 2017, 11:18 a.m.

maybe you can get some tech tips or ideas that are of help but its all for free anyway so what do you want for nuthin?

Feb. 17, 2017, 11:28 a.m.

Cam's not listening. He spends all his spare time on Facebook now. (Lol JK Cam)

Feb. 17, 2017, 11:33 a.m.

When did pillars of our civilization become profit driven? And why have we been so complicit in this?

It's a simple question with a complex answer, but if I wanted to boil it down to a sound bite -[HTML_REMOVED] taxes.

For decades, the voting public has been lured by promises of lower taxes with each election cycle. Voting for lower taxes is a purely selfish act that will ultimately result in fewer government services and more paid services.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 17, 2017, 11:49 a.m.

and that's about it. only mad people expect some kind of conversation there. which brings us back to forums ;)

Just don't forget to give everything a thumb's down on YouTube when you are done. C'mon folks - one small step to making everything about the Internet suck.

Feb. 17, 2017, 12:03 p.m.

No worries everyone, once the robots cater to our every need we can do whatever the hell we want, ride bikes, play video games, chit chat here all day, and there won't be any reason to argue about politics because our Supreme AI Leader will have all our shit figured out. And the best part… we are the perfect age to enjoy it and die before the robots turn against us and send out the terminators.

:woot:

I am just hopeful that the robots will be able to ride bikes, play video games and chit chat here all day - just be better at it than us.

Possibly make for better conversation? Def make for less bike wrecks

Feb. 17, 2017, 12:53 p.m.

I am just hopeful that the robots will be able to ride bikes, play video games and chit chat here all day - just be better at it than us.

Possibly make for better conversation? Def make for less bike wrecks

Yeah, robot Stravas are No-Fair!

Feb. 17, 2017, 3:09 p.m.

Its so much more complicated than that.

School is business -[HTML_REMOVED] business' sell -[HTML_REMOVED] schools sell courses -[HTML_REMOVED] rapid tech changes require additional schooling -[HTML_REMOVED] schools focus on profits over pertinent education -[HTML_REMOVED] higher school costs -[HTML_REMOVED] student loans -[HTML_REMOVED] limited job market opportunities -[HTML_REMOVED] stagnant wage growth -[HTML_REMOVED] defaults on loans.

How do you change one part of that cycle without blowing up the whole system or driving it down to ideologies of lib/con, black/white?

Work harder, or work two jobs, take care of your own responsibilities in lieu of throwing stones and blaming 'poor job market'. Starbucks is not below anyone, it is opportunity. The educated should not simply rely on others to the tune of $180 million per year.

Feb. 18, 2017, 4:10 p.m.

Work harder, or work two jobs, take care of your own responsibilities in lieu of throwing stones and blaming 'poor job market'. Starbucks is not below anyone, it is opportunity. The educated should not simply rely on others to the tune of $180 million per year.

I think we should reduce this to bare bones;

Do you believe that as a species we should strive for a consistently increasing quality of life over the course of each generation?

And why?