The Critical Thinking Thread

April 18, 2022, 4:41 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

That's a decent vid. A number of times I've seen people mention critical thinking without really knowing what it is. I think most people can instinctively tell when something isn't right, especially if it goes against well established norms or their own personal views, but it can be difficult to put those concerns into proper context if people don't have the underlying info of what critical thinking is and how to apply it. On top of that, there's the huge problem of overcoming bias, whether it's implicit or explicit. So people not only need to have the background info but also have a decent level of self awareness, and maybe most importantly good listening skills to ensure that the message they are hearing is the one that is actually being said.

April 18, 2022, 4:43 p.m.

Posted by: Polymath

And yet, with the internet, there is no excuse for ignorance.  You can find out whatever you want given the will and time.  I remember the times when the encylopaedia was the only way to get general info.

The problem with the internet is that there is also a lot of info that is misinformation and disinformation. So when people don't have the skills to distinguish those things, and are also probably saddled with a large degree of bias, then having all the correct info at their fingertips is unfortunately useless.

April 25, 2022, 8:33 p.m.

Just gonna quote one Cosmo Kramer with:

I'm out.

April 25, 2022, 9:27 p.m.

This seems like as good a place as any to leave this.

The patient was extremely fortunate not to be overcome by toxic gases or sustain injury," the department said.

But how you ask?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/fire-crews-rescue-washington-woman-after-she-falls-headfirst-into-toilet-1.5874205

April 28, 2022, 9:15 a.m.

But the attempt failed, and she slid into the toilet. Fortunately, after 20 minutes inside the vault, she was able to find and use her phone to call 911.

Eeeeeeeeeeeew!  20 minutes she won't soon forget.  Something tells me when she tells the story she will use the word "terlet".  I don't have proof, I just feel it.

May 24, 2022, 3:36 p.m.

Something in my inbox from a page I pay some attention to.

https://philosophybreak.com/articles/

Though we experience the world as being full of color, 17th-century English philosopher John Locke argues objects themselves cannot possibly be colorized independently, as color only exists in the interaction with a perceiving subject.

When you look at a ripe tomato, for instance, the redness you see is not a property of the tomato itself, but a result of light waves reflecting off the tomato into your eye.

To someone from a slightly different vantage point, the color would be slightly different. To a dog or bumblebee or someone who was color blind, the tomato would appear different again. Moreover, if you wore blue-lensed glasses, or the source of light changed to dark purple, the color you’d experience when looking at the ripe tomato would change once more.

Which of these can be said to be the ‘true’ color of the tomato? Why should we favor any of them?

It seems we are forced to conclude, Locke says, that while the tomato appears red (to us) under normal perceptual and light conditions, it is not itself red: it just looks that way to our eyes, brains, and nervous systems under normal circumstances.

And it turns out this is the case not just for colors, but for all our sensory perceptions: how things taste, smell, sound, and feel are qualities not of things themselves, but of our interaction with those things, and such interactions are based on myriad circumstantial factors, and remain utterly private.

We are thus left with the question: once we strip away our private sensory perceptions from the objects we encounter, what remains? ⁣What are things like away from the senses, by themselves?

What do you make of Locke's analysis?

May 24, 2022, 4:46 p.m.

Locke says no fat chicks

May 24, 2022, 4:48 p.m.

When you look at a ripe tomato, for instance, the redness you see is not a property of the tomato itself, but a result of light waves reflecting off the tomato into your eye.

It definitely is a property of the tomato.  The light waves are just exposing that property.

May 24, 2022, 5:37 p.m.

Ok so I'm not out

Posted by: switch

It definitely is a property of the tomato.  The light waves are just exposing that property.

So what about color blind people or people who don't see shades properly?

And this is a bit of a departure but if there's no light in space (ie, no stars in the moon landing pics), then what exactly are looking at?

May 24, 2022, 5:38 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

This seems like as good a place as any to leave this.

The patient was extremely fortunate not to be overcome by toxic gases or sustain injury," the department said.

But how you ask?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/fire-crews-rescue-washington-woman-after-she-falls-headfirst-into-toilet-1.5874205

So without reading this article does it mention why she didn't drown if she was down for 20 mins (gathered from chups  comment).

May 24, 2022, 5:48 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Ok so I'm not out

And this is a bit of a departure but if there's no light in space (ie, no stars in the moon landing pics), then what exactly are looking at?

The tomato has a property that, when exposed to EMF, re-emits EMF of a certain frequency.  Does it whether such a thing as a color blind person exists or they do not.

And no need for conspiracy BS.

May 25, 2022, 8:36 a.m.

Ok so I'm not out

The tomato has a property that, when exposed to EMF, re-emits EMF of a certain frequency.  Does it whether such a thing as a color blind person exists or they do not.

And no need for conspiracy BS.

First for your conspiracy bs, just bc you don't have that answer doesn't mean  it's a conspiracy or me trolling you (bc I'd have to know what you don't ).

As for emf, I get that aspect (really) but it's akin to a tree falling in the forest. Or similar to how in theory we always saw in hi-def just never had the tech for it.

May 25, 2022, 1:30 p.m.

Trees falling create the physical phenomena that we, for our own understanding and nothing else, define as noise. 

Things don’t need to be perceptible to humans to be real.

May 25, 2022, 3:34 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Lol who's crazy now yo?

May 27, 2022, 6:53 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Lol who's crazy now yo?

Not crazy. Human senses are limited, some things that are very real require instrumentation to be detected, if they even can be.