The Critical Thinking Thread

Sept. 15, 2021, 7:24 p.m.

From time to time some good things get posted here in regards to critical thinking and philosophy. I thought it might be cool to have some of that content congregated in one place. 

So the first thing to share is a fallacy quiz from the School of Thought website. I think this should be relatively easy for most of us here, especially if you're at all familiar with common logical fallacies. That said, unfortunately I expect KenN may struggle more than the rest of us with it so we should all give him some encouragement. 

https://www.schoolofthought.org/critical-thinking-quiz

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 15, 2021, 7:40 p.m.

That's pretty good.  Shame it's only 10 questions.

Sept. 15, 2021, 9:06 p.m.

Maybe pirates do prevent global warming.. .

Sept. 16, 2021, 10:54 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

Maybe pirates do prevent global warming.. .

Depends how many cannons they have I suppose.

Sept. 16, 2021, 11:43 p.m.

What I don't like is that it's easy to discredit everything based on these "fallacies."  Limits critical thinking imo.  I passed 10/10 and I don't really know/understand all the definitions of fallacies or care to.  "Science" is the new normal and can't be denied...right?

Sept. 17, 2021, 7:38 a.m.

Right

Sept. 17, 2021, 8:11 a.m.

Posted by: thefishtailbites

What I don't like is that it's easy to discredit everything based on these "fallacies." Limits critical thinking imo. I passed 10/10 and I don't really know/understand all the definitions of fallacies or care to. "Science" is the new normal and can't be denied...right?

I guess congrats on getting all of them right even if you're not sure of all the definitions. However, it's not "easy to discredit everything based on these fallacies." Fallacies are tests, or basically truth statements, and have strict definitions even though some of them may have weird names. Like a light switch they're on or off, so a fallacy will only discredit something if it's incorrect. Fallacies don't limit critical thinking, but they are an integral part of it and help define the boundaries. Without any rules and checks, critical thinking would be nothing more than unsupported opinion where anyone could claim anything. I think where some confusion can happen with fallacies is they sometimes get applied incorrectly or people misunderstand their use. That page above has lots of good info on fallacies and the rules of critical thinking and it's worth taking some time to check it out imo.

Re science, it's not the new normal and it can be denied if done or applied incorrectly. Like fallacies and critical thinking, science has a general set of rules to be followed and some branches of types of science might have specific rules. One thing that guides science is the scientific method. You sometimes might see it described/defined in slightly different ways, but it follows a pattern of observe, question, hypothesize, test, analyze, and most importantly reproduce/retest. Good science is reproduceable, meaning different people can do the same testing and get the same results as the original experiment.

Edit: We all use critical thinking and fallicies, often in an informal way, in our lives every day. Everytime you question something you're using critical thinking to asses how true or accurate something may be.

Last edited by: syncro on Sept. 17, 2021, 8:12 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 19, 2021, 10:20 a.m.

What I don't like is that it's easy to discredit everything based on these "fallacies."  Limits critical thinking imo.  I passed 10/10 and I don't really know/understand all the definitions of fallacies or care to.  "Science" is the new normal and can't be denied...right?

Being able to spot a fallacy when one is used does help with critical thinking.  Being able to identify that fallacy by name and call it out helps make some people feel superior when they are arguing on the internet.  The first thing is obviously way more important than the second thing.

Sept. 19, 2021, 4:53 p.m.

Good posts above and I do agree.  From watching recent politics (leader's debate etc) there are a lot of fallacies used to (not) answer questions.  I think I will brush up on them.

Sept. 19, 2021, 5:24 p.m.

lol - watching politicians talk is the perfect way to spot fallacies

Sept. 19, 2021, 7:03 p.m.

Behavioral Psychology is a very real field of scientific endeavor. So much so, one of the early disciples from the likes of Kahneman is a Nobel laureate for economics.  (Assuming you believe psychology in of itself is useless).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Thaler

Sept. 20, 2021, 11:10 a.m.

Fallacies do not limit critical thinking, they are an ESSENTIAL part of it. Critical thinking requires self-regulation, which is the practice of examining and correcting errors in your thinking, fallacies are just 'errors in our thinking' that are so common, we've given them specific names.

Even if you've come to the 'right' conclusion, but you've done so through fallacious reasoning, it's sort of like getting the correct answer on a math test, but when you show your work, your methodology is wrong and you've essentially stumbled onto the correct result.

Sept. 21, 2021, 8:01 p.m.

Posted by: Schnickelfritz

Fallacies do not limit critical thinking, they are an ESSENTIAL part of it. Critical thinking requires self-regulation, which is the practice of examining and correcting errors in your thinking, fallacies are just 'errors in our thinking' that are so common, we've given them specific names.

Even if you've come to the 'right' conclusion, but you've done so through fallacious reasoning, it's sort of like getting the correct answer on a math test, but when you show your work, your methodology is wrong and you've essentially stumbled onto the correct result.

Actually, exactly like math. In university I got a math credit for a logic class. 🍺

It was fascinating turning dialogue into a page of mathematical formulas.

Oct. 14, 2021, 11:10 a.m.

Kinda cool and related TED vid about turning your life over to an algorithm that randomly picks everything you do.

https://www.ted.com/talks/max_hawkins_i_let_algorithms_randomize_my_life_for_two_years

Nov. 23, 2021, 7:54 p.m.

Free will - yay or nay?

https://philosophybreak.com/articles/free-will-illusion-sam-harris/

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/06/theres-no-such-thing-as-free-will/480750/

Last edited by: syncro on Nov. 23, 2021, 8:05 p.m., edited 1 time in total.