The Camper, Trailer or Adventure Vehicle Thread

June 3, 2016, 3:19 p.m.

The Tundra?

It's a 2015. It has the TeRD package and it does indeed run the logging roads like a champ.

I think the main reason you don't find a ton of them working in the bush is that combining an old school 5.7lt engine with a 70 ltr tank means you don't pass a whole lot of gas stations without stopping- although I think the 2016s have larger tanks. The range is under 500km from full. Not the best bet if you plan to be on the road for a day w/o a gas station on route. (for trips up to Dease Lk - carry a jerry Larry).

It sure doesn't pull like the diesel but it does everything else better than my old truck. (Oh except the integrated brake controller that Toyota put in is a certified Piece o'Poo. - My old $150.00 Canadian Tire one functioned better).

That and the weirdest remote start I have ever used - you lock it three times to start the truck. Then as soon as you unlock the truck it shuts down. Starting your truck twice each am in the winter is slightly annoying.

Still I love the truck.

Good to know. Buddy in his f150!says he gets 900k to a tank. Seems like a better way to go.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 3, 2016, 3:34 p.m.

Good to know. Buddy in his f150!says he gets 900k to a tank. Seems like a better way to go.

I get 900-1000 per tank in my ecoboost but its a 136 liter tank

June 3, 2016, 3:39 p.m.

I get 900-1000 per tank in my ecoboost but its a 136 liter tank

Ya the big tank is definitely a selling point. I don't get why manufacturers insist on the smallest gas tank possible.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 3, 2016, 3:43 p.m.

The Tundra?

It's a 2015. It has the TeRD package and it does indeed run the logging roads like a champ.

I think the main reason you don't find a ton of them working in the bush is that combining an old school 5.7lt engine with a 70 ltr tank means you don't pass a whole lot of gas stations without stopping- although I think the 2016s have larger tanks. The range is under 500km from full. Not the best bet if you plan to be on the road for a day w/o a gas station on route. (for trips up to Dease Lk - carry a jerry Larry).

It sure doesn't pull like the diesel but it does everything else better than my old truck. (Oh except the integrated brake controller that Toyota put in is a certified Piece o'Poo. - My old $150.00 Canadian Tire one functioned better).

That and the weirdest remote start I have ever used - you lock it three times to start the truck. Then as soon as you unlock the truck it shuts down. Starting your truck twice each am in the winter is slightly annoying.

Still I love the truck.

Add to this that their C channel frames are nothing to be desired, they are quite flexy with any load. Bit of a saying around here that the Tundras drive on the roads that other trucks build. Not sure if they have boxed frames yet or not, if not, they should - like every other truck from midsize up.

**should add that Ford does use stupid stiff C channel frames on their F250 and F350

June 3, 2016, 3:43 p.m.

Ya the big tank is definitely a selling point. I don't get why manufacturers insist on the smallest gas tank possible.

the fuel mileage is good but when you tow it goes to shit.

June 3, 2016, 4:15 p.m.

the fuel mileage is good but when you tow it goes to shit.

I never tow or haul. Just want to cruise logging roads with up to 4 adults comfortably.
Xterras and tacos just aren't built tough enough.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 3, 2016, 4:21 p.m.

check this bad boy out

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/rvs/5609646587.html

OK crazy price but neat build

June 3, 2016, 4:32 p.m.

No sure I'd ever trust British engineering to get me out of van isles back woods.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 3, 2016, 6:41 p.m.

Add to this that their C channel frames are nothing to be desired, they are quite flexy with any load. Bit of a saying around here that the Tundras drive on the roads that other trucks build. Not sure if they have boxed frames yet or not, if not, they should - like every other truck from midsize up.

**should add that Ford does use stupid stiff C channel frames on their F250 and F350

It's boxed where it needs to be and c where it can be (Seem to remember the old man's logging truck having a C frame - and well it was stiff enough). Stiffness has not been an issue for me and - I doubt it will be. I think the Toys got a bad rep (deservedly from the rust issues 15 years ago)

As for ford - more expensive, less resale value horrible sync crap (could not for the life of me get the hands free to recognize my meaning through my manly northern brogue- hated it) and I don't want to be a test bunny on the aluminum body.

Comparing the two on logging roads (the famous McDonnel Lake Fsr 500 test- ps never buy the demo vehicle in a town with such easy access to roads such as these). I was much, much happier with the Toyota.

Many of the other tests were ford hands down - cabin size, mpg, hp in the 8cyl, redneck appeal.

Really came down to the Toyota folks giving me the better deal.

June 3, 2016, 8:11 p.m.

It's odd that Toyota makes one of the cheaper 1/2 tons these days. Looks like there's about 15 new Titans sitting on the lot near my place, I wonder when the big discounts are coming on those.

June 3, 2016, 8:14 p.m.

my favorite test loop is to mat it up babine and come back on billeter where you got the sweeping downhill 180 degree turn on a gravel road with a bunch of pot holes and stutter in the middle where IME the tacoma rode superiour to the ford but I've done enough shuttles with other people's PU's to say the Tacoma is my favorite "just drive it like you stole it" ride

The toyota dealer also did a promotion where they donated 25$ to SMBA for every member who test drove a toyota pretty smart of them, some good Karma points for them

yer just a kid, pretty soon the only thing that will get stiff anymore is yer back

June 3, 2016, 9:47 p.m.

It's boxed where it needs to be and c where it can be (Seem to remember the old man's logging truck having a C frame - and well it was stiff enough). Stiffness has not been an issue for me and - I doubt it will be. I think the Toys got a bad rep (deservedly from the rust issues 15 years ago)

Yeah, C channel can be done right, but Toyota hasn't done it right. It's not hard to Google Tundra frame flex. Kinda like saying all lawyers are the same, which I think you would argue otherwise for good reasons.

My neighbour has had a few and he loves his Tundras. I like Toyotas, I have just never warmed up to the looks of either the Tundra or the Titan. I will be upgrading to a full size on my next truck (and pulling a trailer as well), but I am really watching the market to see what would best suit my needs and also have some kind of personal appeal.

June 4, 2016, 8:41 a.m.

Ya - drive em and see what you like. I drove a friends f150 from here to van a few weeks ago. Def think I picked the right truck- but the 12-14l/100km would be nice.

June 5, 2016, 3:16 p.m.

Reading forums apparently this is not a great idea, because the structure isn't that strong.

Found a picture earlier while I was at work of a padded wooden frame that has a couple of steel bars running across it that I could attach my Thule racks onto. Then the whole thing is strapped around the trailer with cargo straps. It's certainly a less invasive solution than bolting through the roof, but strength could be an issue.

This was another idea that could be pretty cheaply knocked together:
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=340B86F54757E2F0%21120[HTML_REMOVED]cid=340B86F54757E2F0

What are you towing it with? It might be a lot easier to get a setup on the vehicle than the tent trailer and you can get the bikes and canoe to places when you don't have the tent trailer.

I'm the best at being modest !

June 6, 2016, 1:13 p.m.

2017 Armada anyone?