The Camper, Trailer or Adventure Vehicle Thread

June 2, 2016, 6:33 p.m.

With all this fabricating needed. How is the under carriage/ rear bumper area to try get a receiver hitch fabbed on their to hold a bike rack. That way you wouldn't be compromising the water proofing of the top.

Reading forums apparently this is not a great idea, because the structure isn't that strong.

Found a picture earlier while I was at work of a padded wooden frame that has a couple of steel bars running across it that I could attach my Thule racks onto. Then the whole thing is strapped around the trailer with cargo straps. It's certainly a less invasive solution than bolting through the roof, but strength could be an issue.

This was another idea that could be pretty cheaply knocked together:
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=340B86F54757E2F0%21120[HTML_REMOVED]cid=340B86F54757E2F0

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

June 2, 2016, 6:33 p.m.

With all this fabricating needed. How is the under carriage/ rear bumper area to try get a receiver hitch fabbed on their to hold a bike rack. That way you wouldn't be compromising the water proofing of the top.

you could probbaly put a reciver on the back of a tent trailer

we had a receiver welded onto the back of a 13' trillium for 75$ (boler knockoff) to carry a couple of touring bikes on a top-tube clamping type rack and even that small amount of weight all the way out there would undo the bolt holding the rack on the trailer hitch so I had to rope the bikes to the bumper as well

L hutz definatley has a more bomber setup but that was my experiance

I dunno if the top of a tent trailer would be any better but IME bikes on the back of a trailer get REALLY dirty btw

you won't be able to carry a canoe while you could with racks on your tent trailer if that is important

people drill holes in canopies all the time to mount racks and leaking is not an issue, I have never seen mine leak

June 2, 2016, 6:36 p.m.

This was another idea that could be pretty cheaply knocked together:
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=340B86F54757E2F0%21120[HTML_REMOVED]cid=340B86F54757E2F0

that ^^ looks like a good idea!

June 2, 2016, 6:44 p.m.

I had the receiver hitch welded to the rear bumper.

However, Austin fabbed up a set of brackets to beef up the bumper and better tie it into the frame.

Fully loaded - I think I need to shift more weight forward. I am taking it to a local business that has a scale next time a buddy of mine works nights. My guess is I need a couple hundred lbs moved forward to get the distribution right.

June 2, 2016, 6:51 p.m.

yeah Austin is great, he did the receiver on the trillium

you got the load leveling hitch I assume, maybe you need one of them things that dampens swaying if there is such a thing?

where did you buy that rack from, who sells them up here?

June 2, 2016, 8:40 p.m.

I've been slowly working on my $500 tent trailer I bought last fall and the outside is almost done. I was going to wait for the inside to be complete before sharing, but I wanted to share the fruits of my labour!

It definitely isn't as fancy as some of the other rigs in this thread (a little jealous here!) but I've been trying to do this for around $1000 all in.

Does anyone know where I could get this thing weighed? I took the kitchen out as I really don't want to cook in a tiny cloth tent trailer (The curtains behind the stove were about 3" away!). I believe the original weight was around 750 lbs and I've been trying to get it down as my tow vehicle is my Hyundai wagon.

The foam and covers for the new cushions is proving to be a bit expensive, does anyone have a source for inexpensive foam?

I will post more pictures of the interior when it comes together.

I picked up the foam for my trailer from Ikea, 5" foam mattress and cut to size for what I needed.Under $200 compaired to over $500 from The Foam Shop.

June 2, 2016, 8:57 p.m.

I had a rack made off the bumper of the tent trailer and in front off the tongue. it was a bit of a pain because you have to make it so that it comes apart when you open it up. mine held a 12 foot aluminum boat

on closer inspection it was exactly like that one. a 75 bonair

June 3, 2016, 8:24 a.m.

Ok so this is what I found, looks like a cheap strap-on option for a tent trailer. I might see about fabbing one up over the next couple of weeks.

I've got a pair of proper Thule racks, just need some sort of crossbar to mount them to.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

June 3, 2016, 8:28 a.m.

I wouldnt do that on an old 70s tent trailer. there basically held together with staples and dry rotted wood.

June 3, 2016, 9:04 a.m.

yeah Austin is great, he did the receiver on the trillium

you got the load leveling hitch I assume, maybe you need one of them things that dampens swaying if there is such a thing?

where did you buy that rack from, who sells them up here?

yah - I have a load leveling hitch. I am not sure I want to go to dampening yet. I think if I move the two downhill bikes (80lbs) to the cap roof and add some tongue weight I should be right. Balancing the load to get the proper tongue weight is step one I think.

I went with the NS Rack because I can keep the cap on the truck (my old system had the bikes in the bed)- but the family added a second dog so it's nice to keep the cap on all year. The NS rack is also easier on bikes and truck I think. Since this truck is my first ever brand new, right off the lot, straight from Texas to me, vehicle I have owned in my life - I thought I would treat it nice. I wanted it on the camper so I could basically have it with me for shuttling purposes once we get to the destination (just flip it off the camper and on to the truck). The transportation of bikes to the biking destination while on the trailer is just a plus really.

The weights are
- 75lbs (rack)
- 40lbs my dh bike
- 40lbs Mrs dh bike
- 33 lbs Mrs am bike
- 30 lbs My am bike
- 30 lbs Munchkin bike
= 250 ish - and I am no enginerd but I am thinking that having it attached on basically a pivot point might require shifting [HTML_REMOVED] 250lbs forward of the balance point to equal it out.

I ordered the rack right from NS - I think it was 50$ shipping by bus. It was here in a couple days. Great service from the NS people. Very happy with the rack.

June 3, 2016, 9:09 a.m.

I wouldnt do that on an old 70s tent trailer. there basically held together with staples and dry rotted wood.

Yeah I've got an 06 trailer so I'm not as concerned, but I see your point.

June 3, 2016, 12:51 p.m.

Can confirm!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

June 3, 2016, 1:09 p.m.

all those old trailers [HTML_REMOVED] tent trailers are rotten wood

the exception is the boler types of FG travel trailers, my buddy had one he affectionately referred to as "the septic tank"

they don't rot and they don't leak cuz they are built on that very same principle

an old FG trailer is worth 3 times what it sold for in 1975

June 3, 2016, 1:19 p.m.

all those old trailers [HTML_REMOVED] tent trailers are rotten wood

the exception is the boler types of FG travel trailers, my buddy had one he affectionately referred to as "the septic tank"

they don't rot and they don't leak cuz they are built on that very same principle

an old FG trailer is worth 3 times what it sold for in 1975

frames on old shit like that (old tent trailers and bolers) are also rusting apart. funny thing is someone stole my old 75 bonair that I had planned to take to the dump one day. only piss off is they got my camping chairs and hotdog sticks

June 3, 2016, 2:33 p.m.

seriously jonesing for one of those! my buddy has one and it's a beast. handles the logging roads like a champ! what year is yours?

The Tundra?

It's a 2015. It has the TeRD package and it does indeed run the logging roads like a champ.

I think the main reason you don't find a ton of them working in the bush is that combining an old school 5.7lt engine with a 70 ltr tank means you don't pass a whole lot of gas stations without stopping- although I think the 2016s have larger tanks. The range is under 500km from full. Not the best bet if you plan to be on the road for a day w/o a gas station on route. (for trips up to Dease Lk - carry a jerry Larry).

It sure doesn't pull like the diesel but it does everything else better than my old truck. (Oh except the integrated brake controller that Toyota put in is a certified Piece o'Poo. - My old $150.00 Canadian Tire one functioned better).

That and the weirdest remote start I have ever used - you lock it three times to start the truck. Then as soon as you unlock the truck it shuts down. Starting your truck twice each am in the winter is slightly annoying.

Still I love the truck.