The Camper, Trailer or Adventure Vehicle Thread

June 2, 2016, 10:17 a.m.

So while Bryan won the thread - Here is the newest version of the Hutz Family Wagon Truckster.

Gone is the Duramax in is the Tundra 5.7 Limited gasser.
In is a 100w solar panel to two 6v batteries
In is a receiver hitch and North Shore 6 bike rack.

June 2, 2016, 1:03 p.m.

I've been slowly working on my $500 tent trailer I bought last fall and the outside is almost done. I was going to wait for the inside to be complete before sharing, but I wanted to share the fruits of my labour!

It definitely isn't as fancy as some of the other rigs in this thread (a little jealous here!) but I've been trying to do this for around $1000 all in.

Does anyone know where I could get this thing weighed? I took the kitchen out as I really don't want to cook in a tiny cloth tent trailer (The curtains behind the stove were about 3" away!). I believe the original weight was around 750 lbs and I've been trying to get it down as my tow vehicle is my Hyundai wagon.

The foam and covers for the new cushions is proving to be a bit expensive, does anyone have a source for inexpensive foam?

I will post more pictures of the interior when it comes together.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

June 2, 2016, 1:05 p.m.

Nice work!!

June 2, 2016, 1:08 p.m.

^retro chic; love it! i have good memories of tent trailering as a kid. i like the idea of them - minimalist.

June 2, 2016, 2:20 p.m.

I have a tent trailer that I want to mount a rack to, something that I can put my canoe and/or a couple of bikes onto. Has anyone either fabbed something themselves or found a good solution. I really don't like the idea of drilling into my roof but I don't think I have much of an option.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

June 2, 2016, 2:34 p.m.

you wana mount some thule/yakima bars/bike trays?

you will probably need to drill

you can get bolt-on metal channels from thule, I bolted some on my canopy to allow the use of yakima bars

really they are just fancy pieces of angle

June 2, 2016, 2:38 p.m.

I have a tent trailer that I want to mount a rack to, something that I can put my canoe and/or a couple of bikes onto. Has anyone either fabbed something themselves or found a good solution. I really don't like the idea of drilling into my roof but I don't think I have much of an option.

It's funny I'm going through this exact problem right now.

What I think I've finnaly settled on is getting an aluminum rack welded up by my neighbor. My plan is to mount it to the sides by removing the fasteners that the roof raising jacks attach to the roof and drilling out the holes through the side of the top and picking up on these fasteners to support the rack.

I don't want to drill holes directly in the top and don't really trust the 3/4 ply the top is constructed of to transfer the load from the top through the sides to the body of the trailer.

Does that make any sense at all? ;)

I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

June 2, 2016, 3:43 p.m.

actualy I have always wondered about putting weight on top of a tent trailer anybody know of a roof being wrecked ???

I think if I were to mount bars on the roof of a tent trailer I would secure aluminium channel front to back down the entire length of the roof as close to the edge of the roof as possible where it would be stronger …just like on the edges of a canopy

if you use several bolts along the edge of the roof and space it away from the FG top, Thule or yakima bars would clamp to the channel where ever you want it, the channel would add strength and you could also use the rails to tie stuff on top of the tent trailer

I wouldn't worry about holes, a dab of silicone and a washer will keep the rain out

June 2, 2016, 3:47 p.m.

actualy I have always wondered about putting weight on top of a tent trailer anybody know of a roof being wrecked ???

I think if I were to mount bars on the roof of a tent trailer I would secure aluminium channel front to back down the entire length of the roof as close to the edge of the roof as possible where it would be stronger …just like on the edges of a canopy

if you use several bolts along the edge of the roof and space it away from the FG top, Thule or yakima bars would clamp to the channel where ever you want it, the channel would add strength and you could also use the rails to tie stuff on top of the tent trailer

I wouldn't worry about holes, a dab of silicone and a washer will keep the rain out

I would stay away from silicone and go for butyl tape and dicor.

June 2, 2016, 4:07 p.m.

Our first attempt at camping in the car. Went pretty good, although the back set doesn't lay completely flat and the camp site was just a big clearing in the trees.

Still need to figure out some window coverings for privacy / light that doesn't involve screwing things into the interior.
Flat Rock-28-05-2016_184339

Flat Rock-28-05-2016_183634

Flat Rock-28-05-2016_182148

Flat Rock-28-05-2016_183029

June 2, 2016, 4:13 p.m.

^^^Nice photos.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

June 2, 2016, 4:22 p.m.

I don't want to drill holes directly in the top and don't really trust the 3/4 ply the top is constructed of to transfer the load from the top through the sides to the body of the trailer.

something inside Like lengths of 2x4 cut to the exact right size so they will transfer excess load to the floor of the trailer but also easily be moved when the roof goes up?

June 2, 2016, 4:26 p.m.

^^^Nice photos.

Thanks!

June 2, 2016, 5:21 p.m.

something inside Like lengths of 2x4 cut to the exact right size so they will transfer excess load to the floor of the trailer but also easily be moved when the roof goes up?

With all this fabricating needed. How is the under carriage/ rear bumper area to try get a receiver hitch fabbed on their to hold a bike rack. That way you wouldn't be compromising the water proofing of the top.

I'm the best at being modest !

June 2, 2016, 5:24 p.m.

So while Bryan won the thread - Here is the newest version of the Hutz Family Wagon Truckster.

Gone is the Duramax in is the Tundra 5.7 Limited gasser.
In is a 100w solar panel to two 6v batteries
In is a receiver hitch and North Shore 6 bike rack.

seriously jonesing for one of those! my buddy has one and it's a beast. handles the logging roads like a champ! what year is yours?

Ha Ha! Made you look.