The Camper, Trailer or Adventure Vehicle Thread

May 15, 2016, 6:16 p.m.

Well we ended up going a different route than many in this thread. We've owned a small 17ft trailer for a few years and decided that a bigger trailer would allow us to go on longer trips and a toy hauler would allow us to hide the toys if we were doing a different sport for the day. Trailer is a 23ft with a rear slide out that allows for a living space of 27ft when you are all set up. Toy hauler room has a bulkhead so it is separate from the main living space. It also has extra bunks and storage.

We did a test trip to Kelowna to see how things were working. Things seemed great.

after that we did a 11 day road trip with the mtb's and motos down into Washington and Oregon. We managed to ride the moto's 4 days and the mtb's 5. Trip was totally what we were hoping for.

The trailer came with some anchor points but I wanted things solid so I mounted some etrack on a piece of plywood. Super easy to remove if need be. It takes about 5 mins to load but I might get rid of some extra tie downs. The foot peg hold downs are all that's actually needed and work better than the handlebar tie-downs. Super quick to use too

mtb

moto in the same area

The pup also loves the new digs.

looking forward to getting into 2-4 week trips with the mtb/moto and or trials bikes….

May 15, 2016, 7:12 p.m.

That's an awesome set-up, Bryan.

May 16, 2016, 5:56 a.m.

Well we ended up going a different route than many in this thread. We've owned a small 17ft trailer for a few years and decided that a bigger trailer would allow us to go on longer trips and a toy hauler would allow us to hide the toys if we were doing a different sport for the day. Trailer is a 23ft with a rear slide out that allows for a living space of 27ft when you are all set up. Toy hauler room has a bulkhead so it is separate from the main living space. It also has extra bunks and storage.

We did a test trip to Kelowna to see how things were working. Things seemed great.

Hey Bryan,

You posted pics of an Escape trailer earlier in the thread, I think? Did you sell it?

May 16, 2016, 8:05 a.m.

Yes we sold it. Seems they are pretty hard to get a hold of these days. I think it sold within an hour to some guy from Las Vegas for a pretty crazy price due to the weak Canadian dollar.

Great little trailer that is perfect for a small truck or SUV. My Tacoma pulled it with ease, even loaded up with two motos and the extra gear. Sadly it was a little limiting after 4 or 5 days and it would be tough to actually live "in" if weather was nasty for days on end.

May 16, 2016, 11:56 a.m.

Yes we sold it. Seems they are pretty hard to get a hold of these days. I think it sold within an hour to some guy from Las Vegas for a pretty crazy price due to the weak Canadian dollar.

Great little trailer that is perfect for a small truck or SUV. My Tacoma pulled it with ease, even loaded up with two motos and the extra gear. Sadly it was a little limiting after 4 or 5 days and it would be tough to actually live "in" if weather was nasty for days on end.

How long is the box in the new truck? Looks like you have two bikes in there, curious how you make that work with the tailgate closed?

May 16, 2016, 12:18 p.m.

that's a badass setup bryan!

May 16, 2016, 2:56 p.m.

How long is the box in the new truck? Looks like you have two bikes in there, curious how you make that work with the tailgate closed?

i'd love to say voodoo and magic but the truth is the wheels are just in the corner of the box and the rear wheels are meeting in the centre. I too thought that a short box(6'6" not the super short) could not have the tailgate up but i was pleasantly surprised. Sadly the stock tie down points are less than ideal so i've added some extra anchor points. I'm hoping these new anchor points will stop the swaying on rough roads.

One can also tie the bikes down the traditional way and loop the wire tailgate stops over the tailgate latching pins and it will just be left open a bit. Poor explanation i'm sure so maybe i will follow up with a photo.

We have been searching for the ideal set up for about 4 or 5 year and a couple of years ago my friend got this trailer. It seemed to check most of the items on our checklist off. I really wanted a long box truck but was having issues finding a used one. I also really wanted a 4 door and didn't want a super long truck….this will have to do i guess.

May 16, 2016, 5:40 p.m.

I also have a Tacoma and always have my eye open for an Escape trailer. They rarely come up for sale and get snapped up in a hurry (as you know). The second-hand market for those is pretty ruthless, particularly with a discounted Cdn dollar.

May 16, 2016, 8:41 p.m.

Yeah nice set-up for sure .

We ended up at Meridian RV looking for a part for the camper van , and before I knew it the wife was crawling all over the trailers and asking questions and such .

I was amazed at how well they can be specked , one had forced air furnace/ac ducting in the floor and had a fire place , with push out sides and such they get quit roomy .

#northsidetrailbuilders

May 17, 2016, 11:57 a.m.

i'd love to say voodoo and magic but the truth is the wheels are just in the corner of the box and the rear wheels are meeting in the centre. I too thought that a short box(6'6" not the super short) could not have the tailgate up but i was pleasantly surprised. Sadly the stock tie down points are less than ideal so i've added some extra anchor points. I'm hoping these new anchor points will stop the swaying on rough roads.

One can also tie the bikes down the traditional way and loop the wire tailgate stops over the tailgate latching pins and it will just be left open a bit. Poor explanation i'm sure so maybe i will follow up with a photo.

We have been searching for the ideal set up for about 4 or 5 year and a couple of years ago my friend got this trailer. It seemed to check most of the items on our checklist off. I really wanted a long box truck but was having issues finding a used one. I also really wanted a 4 door and didn't want a super long truck….this will have to do i guess.

Thanks - great info. I got a 2015 Ram 3500 diesel and have a 6'4" box - not sure if I can squeeze mine in the same way being 2" shorter…it will need to be a last minute test before the next trip. I need the tailgate up when I am towing our TT.

When you loop the wire stops around the locking pins, are you unclipping them and re-routing, or just doubling the wire back? (trying to understand how that works - just went and tried both ways on mine).

Agree with you on the long box. Mine is a daily driver and a super crew. The long box version would be massive and a pain in the ass to park. I already struggle with the height in parkades, don't need length as another limiting factor.

May 17, 2016, 11:59 a.m.

Yeah nice set-up for sure .

We ended up at Meridian RV looking for a part for the camper van , and before I knew it the wife was crawling all over the trailers and asking questions and such .

I was amazed at how well they can be specked , one had forced air furnace/ac ducting in the floor and had a fire place , with push out sides and such they get quit roomy .

LOL, be careful, it escalates quickly. We went from planning on taking the kids camping (in a tent) to buying a Jayflight 26BH in a matter of weeks! (before the trip)

May 17, 2016, 12:28 p.m.

Thanks - great info. I got a 2015 Ram 3500 diesel and have a 6'4" box - not sure if I can squeeze mine in the same way being 2" shorter…

Let the air out of your tires.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 17, 2016, 12:31 p.m.

Let the air out of your tires.

I never thought of that…that's a really good idea! Thank you.

May 17, 2016, 10:50 p.m.

set-up on a chev, not sure how a dodge is.

May 18, 2016, 12:03 a.m.

No pics yet, but I just picked up a 19 ft Prowler, old, but decent shape, no leaks. Going to Duffy Lake for at least a month, maybe the whole summer. Very excite.

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.