The Camper, Trailer or Adventure Vehicle Thread

Oct. 27, 2014, 12:50 p.m.

UJoint Vans…ridiculously affordable and capable…and you could even do the swap in your driveway with basic hand tools if needed.

http://www.ujointoffroad.com/ujor4x4vanbuilds.html

You would have to buy their kit and do the conversion up here.

It would be very difficult (maybe impossible?) to import a 4x4 van into Canada unless it was done by Quigley or other government approved secondary vehicle manufacturer.

Legally you can't even import a Sportsmobile as they aren't on the approved RV manufacturers list for Canada.

Oct. 27, 2014, 12:54 p.m.

I can see how people like collector cars but id want reliability in the backcountry over having a cool van

Yup, and the ability to get service and parts in rural areas of Canada [HTML_REMOVED] US is important too.

That is one of the reasons I didn't go for one of the grey market Japanese 4x4 vans. Good luck finding someone to work on it Colorado.

Oct. 27, 2014, 1:32 p.m.

Yup, and the ability to get service and parts in rural areas of Canada [HTML_REMOVED] US is important too.

That is one of the reasons I didn't go for one of the grey market Japanese 4x4 vans. Good luck finding someone to work on it Colorado.

It's also what you're familiar with. A lot of travellers, especially the vehicle enthusiasts, seems to be very savvy with their own vehicles and know all the ins and outs of getting replacement parts and fixing breakdowns.

Hard to get Land Rover parts here from shops that don't specialize in Rovers yet they are one of the most overlanded vehicles.

I've been working on the same platform for nearly a decade and find it hard to imagine getting anything else to travel to a remote area. Most people wouldn't touch my car with a 10ft pole.

Oct. 30, 2014, 11:13 a.m.

I saw this over on BikeRumour very friggin cool sprinter van conversion:

Oct. 31, 2014, 11:05 a.m.

You would have to buy their kit and do the conversion up here.

It would be very difficult (maybe impossible?) to import a 4x4 van into Canada unless it was done by Quigley or other government approved secondary vehicle manufacturer.

Legally you can't even import a Sportsmobile as they aren't on the approved RV manufacturers list for Canada.

Unless it is older than 15 years.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

Oct. 31, 2014, 12:21 p.m.

[QUOTE=heckler's better 1/2;2844286]Unless it is older than 15 years.[/QUOTE]

Even then you still might have problems importing:
[url]http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/Section2_0.htm[/url]

[QUOTE]
All vehicles (except buses) FIFTEEN (15) YEARS OLD OR OLDER All are admissible, provided they have not been substantially modified (see notes)

Importer must be able to provide proof that the vehicle is fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year of manufacture.
[/QUOTE]

It will come down to what is "substantially modified"?

Nov. 17, 2014, 9:37 a.m.

It was a bit chilly in the trailer the other day. -11 inside when I woke up. The wood stove and furnace quickly had the ice melting though.

I really like the new tires I put on it. Loose gravel, rocks and ice were no problem.

Such a great trip!

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Nov. 17, 2014, 12:33 p.m.

^^^^ ok , you win . . .

that nice rig .

Nov. 17, 2014, 1:15 p.m.

It's also what you're familiar with. A lot of travellers, especially the vehicle enthusiasts, seems to be very savvy with their own vehicles and know all the ins and outs of getting replacement parts and fixing breakdowns.

Hard to get Land Rover parts here from shops that don't specialize in Rovers yet they are one of the most overlanded vehicles.

I've been working on the same platform for nearly a decade and find it hard to imagine getting anything else to travel to a remote area. Most people wouldn't touch my car with a 10ft pole.

call me boring but I am into driving a vehical that does not require on the road repair or preferably any repair at all

my buddy imported a land rover with the diesel from Britain I think he said he got parts from auz anyhow it was a driveway queen which didn't matter cuz he lives [HTML_REMOVED] 4 short blocks from his office … he sold it and bought a Taco

Nov. 17, 2014, 3:27 p.m.

call me boring but I am into driving a vehical that does not require on the road repair or preferably any repair at all

my buddy imported a land rover with the diesel from Britain I think he said he got parts from auz anyhow it was a driveway queen which didn't matter cuz he lives [HTML_REMOVED] 4 short blocks from his office … he sold it and bought a Taco

I also would rather drive it than fix it any day of the week.

Nov. 17, 2014, 4:34 p.m.

^^^^ ok , you win . . .

that nice rig .

Haha, thanks.

The trailer is mine but the truck belongs to my dad. I've got a 3/4t Chevy.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Nov. 17, 2014, 5:55 p.m.

The trailer looks awesome! You see a lot more of these conversions in the bush these day's,make's way more sense than those crappily constructed RV,s or junk haulers. Where you huntin?

Nov. 17, 2014, 8:26 p.m.

Thanks.

I got lucky when I found my trailer as all I needed to add was the kitchen area. Some more lighting and a bigger battery bank are on the wish-list.

We were up in the western part of region 3. I filled my tag hiking up into a spot my dad discovered 30 something years ago.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Nov. 17, 2014, 8:50 p.m.

Even then you still might have problems importing:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/Section2_0.htm

It will come down to what is "substantially modified"?

I know guys from work who get denied trying to import heavily customized choppers and then get flagged, I figure if a 4x4 van looks like it wont pass a VI they'll turn you right around.

yeah bro!!

Nov. 21, 2014, 4:40 p.m.

I have a question about roof racks for people for our SUV.
We have factory roof racks that are quite skinny. Unfortunately the only way we seem to be able to widen them is by purchasing a full kit from one of the big players, which is out of our budget for the purpose.

Basically we want 58" bars to just somehow magically fit onto the current crossbars. Is this in anyway possible. I'm guessing it would involve some kind of MacGuyver type skills. Possibly some kind of coupling device? It would need to be able to support a cargo box and surfboards.

Anyone have any experience with stuff like that? Is it a bad idea?