The Camper, Trailer or Adventure Vehicle Thread

Sept. 5, 2016, 11:03 p.m.

Looks nice, I like the trunk in the bed, bed lights and tie downs. [HTML_REMOVED] 6' box is a deal breaker for me though.

Your wish is my command! New 2017 Ridgeline:

https://www.honda.ca/ridgeline

Before everyone chips in: yes, its not really a "truck" - and you did say a "proper" one so I guess this doesn't cut it. it is built on the Honda Pilot platform. So its a unibody SUV-ish-like pickup thingy. But much less ugly than V1.0, which I kinda liked too.

Would like to swap our Element for one of these. But the Element is hard to part with. And there's that matter of the $30K+ additional cost, of course.

Sept. 6, 2016, 7:52 a.m.

so the new n improved ridgeline is still unibody ?

Sept. 6, 2016, 9:17 a.m.

I can see the Ridgeline working well but I prefer my Frontier for its capability and price. If I was to sacrifice the truck qualities I'd go with a Forester, I just wouldn't make use of the 5ft bed. That said my truck is a comfortable pavement pounder and not terrible on fuel.

Sept. 6, 2016, 11:13 a.m.

Nissan needs to improve the auto in the Frontier/X and I'd switch to a CrewCab. I'm sure there is some hokey Titan Tranny swap that could be done but that seems pretty effort-y

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 6, 2016, 12:52 p.m.

Nissan needs to improve the auto in the Frontier/X and I'd switch to a CrewCab. I'm sure there is some hokey Titan Tranny swap that could be done but that seems pretty effort-y

No good? Ive never driven the auto. The 6spd keeps me happy.

Sept. 6, 2016, 1:44 p.m.

I just have a screw in the end of some 5 ft peices of pole which used to fit in a thule box and now in the bacck of my PU, they don't break downb but the price was rigth

Just checked the local Princess Auto and found these.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/4-ft-x-1-3-4-in-army-surplus-fibreglass-tent-pole/A-p8412736e

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 11, 2016, 3:27 p.m.

Don't know if I saw this before.

http://www.buildagreenrv.com/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Sept. 12, 2016, 9:52 p.m.

Good link, will visit again.

Oct. 26, 2016, 4:05 p.m.

Took a little roadie in THE DERGE, made a quick sleeping platform in the back to avoid tenting. Me, dawg and bike all fit in there real nice like. I discovered that my canopy leaks a bit, but it was waaaaay better than tenting in the Kootenays in October.

Thing I'll change for the future:
- big drawer under the platform so accessing stuff is easier, possibly little doors to access the areas in front and behind the wheel wells. The one near the cab would be good as a stash spot for my flashlight, book, glasses and a beer as these things always seem to just be jammed into a corner and are nice to have at hand.

- Hinged top panel to widen the top when the bike is out and it's sleepy time. It's currently about 32" wide to match my big plush ThermaRest, but wider could have some advantages. Although I figured out how to get the dog comfy, more space is nice, and if it's wider than I won't have to pile duffel bags and his bed to make a nice platform for him. The comfier the dog is the less he squirms around and the less he wakes me up. Also room for the wife I guess, although she's not exactly one for sleeping in a truck down by the river.

- dome light

- maybe raise it up a bit to increase storage capacity underneath the platform. It's currently at wheel well height, and the headroom is nice but some additional storage would be useful to avoid having to shuffle things around so much when switching from camp mode to travel mode to lockup etc.

- I think I'll build a PVC camp shower/sprayer deal. This might just live in the back of my truck on the regular so I can rinse the dog and bike in the wintertime before coming home. A buddy made one for his truck and it seems pretty simple and awesome.

pics:

The super sophisticated platform:
IMG_3221 by tashipeacock1, on Flickr

All ready for sleeps at the Halfway River Hot Springs rec site:
IMG_3284 by tashipeacock1, on Flickr

The half width leaves room for tailgate dangling. This is two bikes at Keystone Standard Basin trailhead. No we didn't bother attempting it in the snow.
IMG_3315 by tashipeacock1, on Flickr

I like this setup quite a bit 'cause I can just roll in to a rec site and get comfy. Morning Angry Pot in a beautiful spot and I'm on my way! Just outside the East Gate of Manning.

IMG_3353 by tashipeacock1, on Flickr

Nov. 21, 2016, 2:21 p.m.

I will leave this here in all its matt black glory
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5833991072.html

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Nov. 21, 2016, 6:13 p.m.

I will leave this here in all its matt black glory
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5833991072.html

I follow a similar build on instagram

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 23, 2016, 1:40 p.m.

Headed for adventure

Nov. 24, 2016, 10:22 a.m.

So I ended up buying a chev 2500, cant remember the year. Lets see if I can post pics without my tablet exploding.

hey Bryce how'd this work out for you, still living in the van? I'm starting to shop for a cargo van to do some extended travelling around BC and good ol USA next year, anything in particular that made you go with the Chev, anything you regret about that vehicle in particular?

Nov. 24, 2016, 10:41 a.m.

http://www.sprinter-rv.com/sprinter-rv-conversion-sourcebook/

invest in this , very informative on building a camper van , it,s based off the Sprinter platform but the ideas can be adapted to any van format

#northsidetrailbuilders

Nov. 24, 2016, 10:41 a.m.

Headed for adventure

Envious!