The Camper, Trailer or Adventure Vehicle Thread

Jan. 8, 2016, 1:52 p.m.

Here is the FB page for Delica's in Canada.

https://www.facebook.com/Delica-Canada-422783867786928/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 8, 2016, 2:35 p.m.

Cool thanks for the input, I think I'm ready for van-life.

After alot of research I'm now looking at a petrol L400 with the 3.0l V6 - acceptable fuel mileage for what it is with alot more get up and go than the 2.8 coal burner and a better track record in cold winters - the 3.0 petrol engine is the same (with different layout) as the Chrysler 3.0 found in alot of NA minivans so shouldn't be too hard to figure my way around.

I'd love the 2.8td and have it converted to WVO but lack of willing mechanics across the board means I'll be fixing anything myself. Petrol engines = simple, diesel engines = I do not have a fucking clue and the last thing I want to do is teach myself how to rebuild an injection pump on the side of the highwhay.

$580 for a new rad and hoses (assuming new coolant and clamps thrown in too)…expensive but if you're paying full retail for quality parts that's not much more than any other vehicle on the road

parts aren't that hard to get. of course i'm in the Mecca of Delicas on the island, but Coombs Country Auto can ship parts to wherever you need - inlcuding if you are on a road trip.
check out the forums at www.delica.ca i have a 96 high roof crystalite L400 that i have had for 3 years, with no plans to get rid of it. the transfer case is great .. RWD in good weather, AWD in bad weather plus 4 hi and lo for when you need it. it's my wifes daily driver, i use it for winter logging road access for skiing with front and rear chains, summer time it's a logging road explorer for camping and discovering. the RHD is easy to get used to, and is only an issue with some left turns if there is a box van. but to be honest, it's the same visibility with my Honda Fit in the same situation. a lot of people hate them, but it's a great little van ( unless you need to get into underground parking ! )

Jan. 8, 2016, 5:28 p.m.

parts aren't that hard to get. of course i'm in the Mecca of Delicas on the island, but Coombs Country Auto can ship parts to wherever you need - inlcuding if you are on a road trip.
check out the forums at www.delica.ca i have a 96 high roof crystalite L400 that i have had for 3 years, with no plans to get rid of it. the transfer case is great .. RWD in good weather, AWD in bad weather plus 4 hi and lo for when you need it. it's my wifes daily driver, i use it for winter logging road access for skiing with front and rear chains, summer time it's a logging road explorer for camping and discovering. the RHD is easy to get used to, and is only an issue with some left turns if there is a box van. but to be honest, it's the same visibility with my Honda Fit in the same situation. a lot of people hate them, but it's a great little van ( unless you need to get into underground parking ! )

This, i usually order stuff from them.

just more of a pita then anything else i guess is what i tried to convey.

i plan on having mine forever…

i hope it looks like this one day
also trailworker this is a series 2 van

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

Jan. 8, 2016, 5:37 p.m.

I was told by a guide who had rolled a cab-over that the newer delica's handle better?

i believe they do yes, i only have driven l300's a few times, but the l400 is superior all around but doesnt look as nice…

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

Jan. 10, 2016, 3:06 p.m.

this is good info, can I ask if you're running the 2.8td or the petrol engine? Any major repairs in the course of 3yrs of ownership?

Jan. 10, 2016, 5:05 p.m.

2.8 TD
only think i did was swap out glowplugs.
i bought from CCA, and i paid the premium for their import / inspection / repair services. however, with that more expensive initial outlay, i have had an issue free van to date.

Jan. 14, 2016, 10:50 p.m.

Anyone see this?

http://lamzac.com/product/lamzac-hangout-may/

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 15, 2016, 6:40 a.m.

I'm obsessed with these pop up campers, New prices are out of my realm.

Jan. 15, 2016, 6:43 a.m.

how much do they weigh?

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 15, 2016, 8:33 a.m.

I'm obsessed with these pop up campers, New prices are out of my realm.

The Four Wheel ones look rad, Jayco and other traditional manufacturers make pop-ups as well. I assume that they're less pricey than the Four Wheel.

Jan. 15, 2016, 9:12 a.m.

check out the hallmark pop up campers

nice but expensive, id like a milner for my f150

Jan. 15, 2016, 9:48 a.m.

i'm into them as well. the FWC are insanely priced now and it get's worse every day with the dollar. and you can't even tell the price by the FWC Canada website as there are many additional fees plus options and choices. at least 20 grand for a small basic model like on the Fronty pictured. they are light and the highest quality camper out there though and made to be offroaded. most vehicles will still require some suspension bolstering though. then think of the gas mileage…. either way it's only for those with considerable disposable/discretionary income that's for sure.

Jan. 15, 2016, 11:08 a.m.

If I was looking for a new vehicle I would consider one of these.

http://www.mercedes-benz-vans.ca/en/sprinter-4x4/cargo-van

I love the full height ceilings on the sprinters but man, pricing on used ones is just insane compared to a plain old e150 or something like that. Im looking at vans for potential summer living/travel. And fuel economy doesnt mean shit right now with such cheap gas. The only saving grace is being able to recoup much of that cost when it gets resold. Some of the murican vans sit forever on craigslist. Just wish i could get a cheap murican van that i can stand up in.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 15, 2016, 12:09 p.m.

I love the full height ceilings on the sprinters but man, pricing on used ones is just insane compared to a plain old e150 or something like that. Im looking at vans for potential summer living/travel. And fuel economy doesnt mean shit right now with such cheap gas. The only saving grace is being able to recoup much of that cost when it gets resold. Some of the murican vans sit forever on craigslist. Just wish i could get a cheap murican van that i can stand up in.

Watch for high top camperized vans. Sometimes there are older models with low miles relatively cheap.

Not so cheap: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/5392889383.html

Cheap, but probably needs a paint job: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/rvs/5356324863.html

Cheap: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/cto/5377755354.html

You get the idea: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5381191784.html

Jan. 15, 2016, 12:31 p.m.

i'm into them as well. the FWC are insanely priced now and it get's worse every day with the dollar. and you can't even tell the price by the FWC Canada website as there are many additional fees plus options and choices. at least 20 grand for a small basic model like on the Fronty pictured. they are light and the highest quality camper out there though and made to be offroaded. most vehicles will still require some suspension bolstering though. then think of the gas mileage…. either way it's only for those with considerable disposable/discretionary income that's for sure.

My current plan is to buy a canopy and build a light sleeping platform, even that is a ways away.