The Age of the Mk2 Human... [Goofy thoughts while walking around Toronto]...

Dec. 21, 2021, 11:59 a.m.

I've been thinking about cost of living, cryptocurrency, the metaverse and vr and how it all ties together. 

To me and others it's starting to look like jobs in the future are going to mostly go away in favor of robots and AI. Universal basic income will be implemented but it won't be enough to get anything except a small air filtered and climate controlled room with wifi.  Climate change and ecological collapse will turn the outdoors into a smoldering polluted wasteland and We'll spend 90% of our time wearing vr goggles playing games that are like jobs. These virtual jobs will earn us different crypto tokens we can spend on different vr experiences, virtual real estate in metaverse cities or perhaps a tasty real life food item like a donut instead of your standard flavorless protein ration.  Microplastics in the food will make us all so infertile there will be no pregnancies without medical assistance. These trends will continue until the plot of the matrix becomes essentially the reality of human existence.

Dec. 21, 2021, 1:24 p.m.

One climate change /solution option could be to offer free VR living to people that volunteer for the Life Pods. Live like a VR king/queen and be kind to the environment at the same time. I think there is a ready made portion of the population for this idea. They'd test it out and engineers could use the feedback to make the VR really good. Once they get used to being tube fed and pooping into a bum tube it'll be hard to go back to the "real world". As the VR world gets better and better while the outside world gets worse it'll be easy to move more people to fulltime VR lives.

We'll need some people to stay in the real world to manage the system and other functions that can't effectively be VR. So the people that don't want to go VR will have to take a job from the pool available or be rich enough to pay a tax to not work.

Scientists have been wondering about the idea of a Great Filter that would explain the lack of signs of other intelligent life in the galaxy. It could be that any civilization that gets the tech to build very realistic VR inevitably turns inwards and mostly lives their lives on computers with minimal external signals to detect.

Dec. 21, 2021, 6:03 p.m.

This conversation sounds like that 2018 movie "Ready Player One".

Dec. 29, 2021, 10:19 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

I've been thinking about cost of living, cryptocurrency, the metaverse and vr and how it all ties together. 

To me and others it's starting to look like jobs in the future are going to mostly go away in favor of robots and AI. Universal basic income will be implemented but it won't be enough to get anything except a small air filtered and climate controlled room with wifi.  Climate change and ecological collapse will turn the outdoors into a smoldering polluted wasteland and We'll spend 90% of our time wearing vr goggles playing games that are like jobs. These virtual jobs will earn us different crypto tokens we can spend on different vr experiences, virtual real estate in metaverse cities or perhaps a tasty real life food item like a donut instead of your standard flavorless protein ration.  Microplastics in the food will make us all so infertile there will be no pregnancies without medical assistance. These trends will continue until the plot of the matrix becomes essentially the reality of human existence.

curious as to what you think the timeline is for this new reality. when do you think this will be the case.

Dec. 29, 2021, 12:46 p.m.

Posted by: impressedbyyourwokeness

curious as to what you think the timeline is for this new reality. when do you think this will be the case.

I just want to know what theyre putting i  fast oranges weed....

Dec. 31, 2021, 7:48 a.m.

Next 3-4 decades probably.

Dec. 31, 2021, 7:51 a.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

I just want to know what theyre putting i  fast oranges weed....

Most of that was just me pondering out loud. The microplastics affecting fertility thing is real though. At the moment every human is eating a credit card worth of plastic every two weeks on average. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/mar/28/shanna-swan-fertility-reproduction-count-down

Dec. 31, 2021, 5:25 p.m.

Looks like one more snowfall for Comox before the warmer weather and rains come again. Despite being a "human power' advocate I am kind of over shoveling snow. Especially doing it for multiple houses on our block. I have been invited to a lot of BBQs to say thanks for clearing other people's sidewalks and driveways! So there's that. I hope they know they'll need to serve cyclist sized portions. ;-)

Dec. 31, 2021, 6:07 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Looks like one more snowfall for Comox before the warmer weather and rains come again. Despite being a "human power' advocate I am kind of over shoveling snow. Especially doing it for multiple houses on our block. I have been invited to a lot of BBQs to say thanks for clearing other people's sidewalks and driveways! So there's that. I hope they know they'll need to serve cyclist sized portions. ;-)

Jesus fuck.....you know youre in Canada, right? It snows here. Im old, but not that old. Shovelling snow is just what we do. If its a big thing for kids likel you, we are defenetly doomed.

Dec. 31, 2021, 6:15 p.m.

less manly but just get a snow blower eh

and if you wana make  real difference there is a food cupboard behind heart strings

for the less fortunate,  take what you need or leave what you can

Dec. 31, 2021, 6:44 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

less manly but just get a snow blower eh

and if you wana make  real difference there is a food cupboard behind heart strings

for the less fortunate,  take what you need or leave what you can

Uh, what?

Dec. 31, 2021, 6:47 p.m.

So what i read here, is that you havent spent any time making you and your skills relevant, and youre scared for your future....too bad, because you are an intelligent young man who could have been something. Better luck next year.

Dec. 31, 2021, 7:44 p.m.

Jesus fuck.....you know youre in Canada, right? It snows here. Im old, but not that old. Shovelling snow is just what we do. If its a big thing for kids likel you, we are defenetly doomed.

Sorry. I don't have to enjoy shoveling snow to live in Canada or be Canadian. 

That said I am getting it done for myself and a bunch of the neighbourhood. Not taking care of it would be lame. A bit of moaning is fair game as far as I am concerned.

Unfortunately getting tendonitis in my arms is what came of a lifetime of computer use, digging holes and a variety of sports like mountain biking and climbing. I've got it under control, but shoveling heavy snow/ice is hard on my arms and therefore impacts my trail riding.

Dec. 31, 2021, 7:54 p.m.

When we shovel our driveway / the sidewalk in front of our house, we usually do some or all of the neighbor's as well. The neighbor on one side of us also does this for us. It's kinda whomever gets out there first. The other neighbor is in her late 60's with a disabled husband, so we do a larger portion of her sidewalk. It's something we don't have to do, but it makes a person feel good helping someone else out. (Did a real good job of it last night, only to wake up this morning to see the plow had been thru & made a real mess of things. Back at it with the shovel.) Young folks don't seem to be into this kind of manual labor. If only you could virtually shovel snow.

Dec. 31, 2021, 8:24 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Unfortunately getting tendonitis in my arms is what came of a lifetime of computer use, digging holes and a variety of sports like mountain biking and climbing. I've got it under control, but shoveling heavy snow/ice is hard on my arms and therefore impacts my trail riding.

I have no respectable reply to this. Enjoy your virtual lifestyle.

The rest of us will be out here living life.