That Oscar's night. Academy Awards

March 28, 2022, 12:14 p.m.

Today I was really surprised by what happened at the Awards.

Most of us in Western culture live in a society in which violence is not public. It happens during the night, under the influence of drugs, or behind closed doors. But not publicly. 

On the other hand, our Western culture and lifestyle is steeped in violence. We watch boxing, UFC, action movies and whatnot but then, during an awards night, an actor (Will Smith) goes on stage to a comedian and slaps him, afterwards yelling that said comedian should keep his wife's name out of his mouth. At least over here the majority of people comment by condemming said slap. 

What does NSMB think of this? 

As we are all older than the average pb user, I am really curious about your thoughts on this one.

Me personally, the older I get, the more I catch myself thinking sometimes that quite a few people should know how such a slap feels, which I do not like, kind of.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Last edited by: Mic on March 28, 2022, 12:17 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 28, 2022, 12:23 p.m.

Rules 1 through 10....dont make fun of a guy's wife's condition...especially a guy who already doesnt like you. Wanna be a dick? Be prepared for the consequences.

March 28, 2022, 12:33 p.m.

While I understand someone wanting to protect/defend their wife/significant other, I still think it was extremely childish behavior.  The joke was tasteless, but hitting someone over a joke is ridiculous.

March 28, 2022, 12:35 p.m.

Violence is always a bad idea, a lot of people smack talk about how they are gona beat someone up but that can really get you into shit

last fall some idiot at the craft brew calls my buddy outside they go outside buddy trys to walk away idiot grabs him and my buddy pounds the shit out of idiot  literlay beating him into the gutter,  idiot calls the cops, cop asks us all what happend we all said yeah the idiot started it & had it coming, cop told us it is not actualy illegal for a couple of guys to to square off and that was the end of it for the cop so I am assuming consensual violence is not illegal

buddy's wife gave him shit, what were you thinking you got a family/ kids/ a real job WTF ?? so i don't think he will do that again

one or the other of them could have been knocked out / brain damage/ even killed,  violence is a really bad idea

Last edited by: XXX_er on March 28, 2022, 12:57 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 28, 2022, 1:38 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

Rules 1 through 10....dont make fun of a guy's wife's condition...especially a guy who already doesnt like you. Wanna be a dick? Be prepared for the consequences.

If someone makes fun of my wife, I'm not going to assault someone on live television in front of 10's of millions of viewers. It's just idiotic and goes to show how these people live in a privileged bubble.

March 28, 2022, 1:41 p.m.

The joke was in poor taste but Will just plain/simple lost his shit, and went way overboard. There may or may not be guidelines for what's acceptable comedy at the show, but there are definitely rules and laws against physical violence. Interesting that there were no signs of security responding to anything afterward, and they just let Will go on spouting obscenities before eventually accepting his award.

March 28, 2022, 2:07 p.m.

The guy laughed about it at first, then gets his panties in a knot after she gets all pouty about it and smacks him? Like c'mon man it was a joke, everyone gets a turn at taking the piss. Pretty pathetic in the circumstances IMO

March 28, 2022, 2:14 p.m.

In retrospect, yeah just so monumentally stupid and privileged. What a way to sabotage the biggest night of your life.

In the moment though? Yeah maybe more like what 3-Sheets said.

Who knows, maybe he dealt with some bullshit growing up and when things pass an arbitrary line that background program just takes over.

Anyway, glad Chris Rock was ok, that was lucky. Will Smith still moves like a trained boxer after Muhammad Ali.

Last edited by: Hepcat on March 28, 2022, 2:17 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 28, 2022, 2:40 p.m.

the moment doesnt matter cuz If Chris rock wanted to press charges they would stick and  it would be so easy cuz the vid is all over the place

March 28, 2022, 2:41 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Who knows, maybe he dealt with some bullshit growing up and when things pass an arbitrary line that background program just takes over.

a couple of guys who were up to no good

Started making trouble in my neighborhood

I got in one little fight and my mom got scared

She said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"

March 28, 2022, 3:15 p.m.

maybe it was fake ?

March 28, 2022, 3:46 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

maybe it was fake ?

Doubtful with the F-Bombs getting dropped after the slap.

March 28, 2022, 4:16 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

Posted by: Hepcat

a couple of guys who were up to no good

Started making trouble in my neighborhood

I got in one little fight and my mom got scared

She said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"

Perfect. 💯

West Philly is maybe the better part of town, North Philly is where it can be dangerous..?

March 28, 2022, 4:40 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Posted by: XXX_er

maybe it was fake ?

Doubtful with the F-Bombs getting dropped after the slap.

Keep in mind he is a professional actor. 

I think they did it so they could make the two of them present an award together next year and make record ratings.

March 28, 2022, 5:09 p.m.

If it was a stunt, I think they’d have let the audience in on it.