Texas school shooting - 18 elementary kids dead.

May 30, 2022, 11:12 a.m.

Posted by: heckler

lol, that's when school shootings started.

The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution protects the right to keep and bear arms. It was ratified on December 15, 1791

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Id have no problem with keeping the Second Amendment as is, IF they still had the guns from 1791. Muskets and flintlocks aren't really designed for mass shooting situations.

May 30, 2022, 11:17 a.m.

Posted by: shoreboy

Posted by: heckler

lol, that's when school shootings started.

The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution protects the right to keep and bear arms. It was ratified on December 15, 1791

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Id have no problem with keeping the Second Amendment as is, IF they still had the guns from 1791. Muskets and flintlocks aren't really designed for mass shooting situations.

Yes, and in the political climate of the founding years it made sense, kind of, if we look at European history and the fights against feudal troops in, say, Berlin in the early to mid 1800s. 

But not in the 20th century, or nowadays. Most right wingers do not agree, but....

May 30, 2022, 11:49 a.m.

Republicans spouting the NRA talking point of 2nd amendment absolutism is a con-job.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Well. Regulated. Militia.

Republicans/NRA are advocating for Zero regulations.  Period.  Fuck them.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on May 30, 2022, 11:51 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 31, 2022, 5:09 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Republicans spouting the NRA talking point of 2nd amendment absolutism is a con-job.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Well. Regulated. Militia.

Republicans/NRA are advocating for Zero regulations.  Period.  Fuck them.

Yes, they more or less publicly state any form of a regulation is the Democrats' idea of fascism and/or the ascent of Communism. In their eyes both would result in less freedom, which is absolutely ridiculous. 

Now, my original question is more or less since when has this been the case, just out of curiosity. In the development of the Civil Rights Movement it became clear that the divide between North and South is still there, I have never been to the US but I could imagine it might still be an issue

May 31, 2022, 9:10 a.m.

If you look at American history (and to some degree Canadian) I don't really see a time when guns were not a big part of American life.  I think the gun fetishism that we have today is relatively new but the original l13 colonies were at war with the native people from the day they landed and rural lifestyles made gun ownership necessary.  As they expanded to the west and young men came from all over to make their fortune guns and gun deaths became ubiquitous.  They partied and drank hard all across America at this time too, so saloon shoot'em ups were very real back then.  Apparently the rivalry of the North and South was present in every western town as well since it was a mix of young men from all over.  A small frontier town like Tombstone (10,000 people) would have an annual murder count of about 10 to 20.  Then reconstruction failed, Jim Crow laws were enacted in the south, mob justice prevailed, and the divisions increased.  This whole time the 2nd amendment was there to make sure no laws could ever do much about it.  With a country already awash in guns it's no wonder the mafia and street gangs in the cities of the 20th century became so violent.  And now here we are today with a million Youtube videos of dudes shooting up shit in their backyards with tens of thousands of dollars in military hardware.  They should just replace the stars on their flag with bullets.

American lore is filled with gun totin' "heroes" from all of these parts of their history from Davy Crockett to Eliot Ness so it is no wonder so many feel that is what the good guy is supposed to look like.

May 31, 2022, 10:24 a.m.

The ol facebook is a treasure trove of comedy today, lots of canadians expressing their support for manitoba.

You think you know some people...gun ownership isnt a right in this country,dumbass.

May 31, 2022, 11:01 a.m.

Unfortunately there is one eqsy way to convince Americans to embrace gun control. 

More POC legal gun owners. 

https://www.history.com/news/black-panthers-gun-control-nra-support-mulford-act

May 31, 2022, 12:19 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Unfortunately there is one eqsy way to convince Americans to embrace gun control. 

Thats how you make a civil war.

I dont think the states can ever turn back from the shitshow theyre in without a massive societal event (maybe thats what covid was supposed to be?) That completely alters the American way of life. 

Its still astonishing to me that a huge proportion of their society feels they need to be armed to protect themselves from their fellow countrymen.

May 31, 2022, 1:44 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

I dont think the states can ever turn back from the shitshow theyre in without a massive societal event (maybe thats what covid was supposed to be?) That completely alters the American way of life. 

Its still astonishing to me that a huge proportion of their society feels they need to be armed to protect themselves from their fellow countrymen.

Shit-show indeed! Pretty disappointing that the mass shooting of Elementary School aged children isn't enough of a 'massive societal event' to facilitate change. It certainly would be in Canada, and most other developed countries.

May 31, 2022, 1:51 p.m.

I thought this was pretty clever. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTCXGAeLGHw

May 31, 2022, 2:42 p.m.

Can you elaborate on how that would start a civil war?

May 31, 2022, 2:52 p.m.

Can you elaborate on how that would start a civil war?

I think that if everybody was armed equally there would be a class/race war. 

Who knows? Maybe that is the solution after all....

May 31, 2022, 3:48 p.m.

I think that if everybody was armed equally there would be a class/race war. 

Who knows? Maybe that is the solution after all....

My point wasn't that everyone should be armed equally. My point was more that if large groups of POC started collecting and open carrying guns then the Republicans will do a 180 on gun control because that's what has happened in the past.

May 31, 2022, 5:44 p.m.

Last edited by: taprider on May 31, 2022, 5:46 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
May 31, 2022, 9:27 p.m.

Posted by: Schnickelfritz
Shit-show indeed! Pretty disappointing that the mass shooting of Elementary School aged children isn't enough of a 'massive societal event' to facilitate change. It certainly would be in Canada, and most other developed countries.

I’m frightened it wouldn’t be but truly hope I am wrong.   What changed in Norway?

Oh.  Seven years later…

https://time.com/6182186/countries-banned-guns-mass-shooting/