Texas school shooting - 18 elementary kids dead.

May 26, 2022, 8:15 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

I have just learned that a Shogun named Marcus is currently unable to post in NBR due to complaints by unthinking leftists. Is this a communist website? What happened to free speech & the exchange of opinions? Agree or disagree with his opinions, he should still be able to post them like anyone else should be.

I posted an update on forum moderation in the NBR moderation thread.

May 26, 2022, 8:27 a.m.

I have just learned that a Shogun named Marcus is currently unable to post in NBR due to complaints by unthinking leftists. Is this a communist website? What happened to free speech & the exchange of opinions? Agree or disagree with his opinions, he should still be able to post them like anyone else should be.

What is the down side ?

Mostly he acts like a asshole

( as oposed to being an asshole)

don't get going on 1st amendment rights

but if you do get your countries straight

Last edited by: XXX_er on May 26, 2022, 8:28 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 26, 2022, 8:57 a.m.

Posted by: Madman

There's another board I read that's pretty much the antithesis of NBR. They think arming teachers will solve this issue 100%. Also, signs to warn that the staff is armed.

Five years from now following a school shooting perpetrated by an armed teacher, they'll be calling for students to be armed as well.

May 26, 2022, 9:15 a.m.

I think we can all handle Marcus, but nsmb.com is not a public service and the it can be regulated.  Shogun was doing his usual, which is to say he was trying to lead us into a conspiracy theory about this being a false flag or some other nonsense.  I am all for the right to free speech but if someone on here is trying to spread disinformation and degrade the magnitude of 20 little children gunned down in their school I 100% understand and support giving him some time to reflect and allow us to have a real conversation about it.  The spreading of conspiracy theories over the Sandy Hook was one of the most disgusting lies told and the gang that allows us this space has every right to say "Not today!"

May 26, 2022, 9:21 a.m.

^^ agreed with all of what Chup just wrote.

I will save my outrage for the obstruction that is the inevitable GOP response to 19 murdered children.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on May 26, 2022, 9:23 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 26, 2022, 9:24 a.m.

If you have complaints about the moderation please save them for the appropriate channels. This thread is not one of those channels.

May 26, 2022, 9:48 a.m.

Might be a hot take, but when it comes to arming teachers, the Police were armed and gathering outside the school, but were unwilling, or at least slow to intervene in the shooting, to the extent that parents were taking about rushing the gunman. I don't actually think this is unreasonable of the Police, it's a job, we as a society can't expect someone who earns $70k a year to rush into a classroom to face down a loaded AR-15, despite their extensive training. Somehow we're supposed to expect teachers, with minimal training to do this? 

Apparently we can't pass any new gun regulations. 

Can't rely on the Police, despite events like this driving a massive militarization of our Police forces. 

Can't rely on school security.

Not going to be able to rely on teachers with guns. 

So I guess we just do nothing? Maybe more backpacks with armor plating?

May 26, 2022, 10:07 a.m.

make america more happy/ less fucked up so they don't want to kill people

May 26, 2022, 10:59 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

make america more happy/ less fucked up so they don't want to kill people

I think it's fair to also point out that kid in Texas would never have acquired guns if he was Canadian.

May 26, 2022, 12:13 p.m.

I can't imagine any single teacher I know being able to confidently shoot a gun in normal conditions never mind hold off a crazed gunman.  Elementary school teachers should be sweet and kind hearted, not Rambo.  The men that snap and shoot up a school have absolutely no fear of dying.  Arming teachers is one of the stupidest "only in America" ideas I have every heard.

May 26, 2022, 12:49 p.m.

Chup, really appreciate reading your words of rationality. All the time here, but especially now. My stomach is knotted up thinking about those murdered children. And the children who wintessed the murders, and the parents. I have children around this age. My God, I don't know how those parents are going to go on.

The people that enabled and continue to enable this are perpetuating evil, nothing else. 

I swear I'm going to slap the next person I hear spout off with the right wing more guns rhetoric.

May 26, 2022, 1:36 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I can't imagine any single teacher I know being able to confidently shoot a gun in normal conditions never mind hold off a crazed gunman. Elementary school teachers should be sweet and kind hearted, not Rambo. The men that snap and shoot up a school have absolutely no fear of dying. Arming teachers is one of the stupidest "only in America" ideas I have every heard.

Absolutely. There is an epidemic of trained Police officers, with tons of weapons training, shooting unarmed people across the US, because they're so terrified of being killed or injured. We can't and shouldn't even rely on them to rush headlong into an active shooter, but now we think Ms. Yummytum, the 2nd grade teacher from classroom 3A is going to do it because she took an evening workshop and gets a $4 shift premium for packing a weapon?

Last edited by: Schnickelfritz on May 26, 2022, 1:37 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 26, 2022, 2:04 p.m.

Until a significant number of Republican voters change their stance on this issue AND make it a voting issue, Republican politicians will not change their stance and thigs will continue ad absurbdum. Politicians do what gets them elected and not enough Republican voters are willing to vote Democrat or push their representatives to change their position, so nothing will change. The right to own firearms is so engrained in these people that they will exhaust all other options and considerations before they will consider any significant form of firearms restrictions legislation. They view this as an all or none situation, that any introduction of restrictions is the path to firearm bans; there is no rational or logical thinking on the issue. In recent polling only 1/4 of Republicans support tighter firearms laws, and what's worse, 1/4 of Republicans want looser firearms laws. The only thing that seems certain is that Americans are going to continue killing each other with the guns they seem to love more than life itself as it is part of the greater American psyche.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/3501380-more-than-half-of-americans-want-stricter-gun-laws-poll/

Edit: good article that gets into the politics of how a few people can control the direction of the nation

"...gun control is one of many issues in which majority opinion in the nation runs into the brick wall of a Senate rule—the filibuster—that provides a veto over national policy to a minority of the states, most of them small, largely rural, preponderantly white, and dominated by Republicans."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2022/05/senate-state-bias-filibuster-blocking-gun-control-legislation/638425/

Last edited by: syncro on May 26, 2022, 2:08 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 26, 2022, 2:06 p.m.

The same GOP that foments mistrust in teachers to the point they'd threaten lawsuits if they talk about LGBT people in Florida also trusts them enough to pack heat in the classroom?   

What's the lawsuit going to look like when a kid gets shot in class by a teachers gun? 

Here's an idea.  No one gets to own assault weapons.  You want to shoot one?  You go to a range, you rent the gun, you shoot it there.

May 26, 2022, 4:45 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

The right to own firearms is so engrained in these people that they will exhaust all other options and considerations before they will consider any significant form of firearms restrictions legislation. They view this as an all or none situation, that any introduction of restrictions is the path to firearm bans; there is no rational or logical thinking on the issue. In recent polling only 1/4 of Republicans support tighter firearms laws, and what's worse, 1/4 of Republicans want looser firearms laws. The only thing that seems certain is that Americans are going to continue killing each other with the guns they seem to love more than life itself as it is part of the greater American psyche.

The irony of it is there are literally thousands of firearms related regulations in the US and there's no federal standard so it's different from state to state. It also comes as no surprise that most of the recent regulations came in when groups like the black panthers started to exercise their 2a and collect guns. So gun control already exists in some form in every state to varying degrees but because state rights it's impossible to enact any kind of standard at the federal level.

It might be hard to believe but there are shotguns that are categorized as unrestricted and legal in Canada to PAL holders that aren't legal anywhere in the US due to their short length. We're also allowed to transport firearms across provincial lines provided the firearm is unloaded and trigger locked.

What really impressed me about the Canadian process was how my spouse and two people who have known me for over three years had to sign off on the application. In addition directly below the fields was a phone number they could call to place an anonymous concern/tip about me owning a firearm in the case they were filling it out under duress. If I have gone through a job loss, divorce, bereavement etc.. it's a crime to not report it on my application with the possibility of a phone interview occuring regarding the matter.

tl;dr by applying for the right to own a firearm I am volunteering to have my mental health scrutinized and I think that's a good thing and it would have totally prevented what just happened in Texas.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on May 26, 2022, 4:48 p.m., edited 2 times in total.