Texas republican platform

June 27, 2012, 6:13 a.m.

anyone else see this on reddit?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/texasgop_pre/assets/original/2012Platform_Final.pdf

"We oppose the teaching of higher order thinking skills, critical thinking skills and similar programs…[which] have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority."

words fail me

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 27, 2012, 6:20 a.m.

dont ask questions….you will cause your poor old man cognitive dissidence.

June 27, 2012, 6:40 a.m.

What the fuck…? I hope the internet kills 'em.

June 27, 2012, 7:01 a.m.

dont ask questions….you will cause your poor old man cognitive dissidence.

Dissonance.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 27, 2012, 7:38 a.m.

Whoa, is this for real? Some of it is not all that surprising, but still… here are just a few little snippets from a 5 min browse through the document:

- We strongly oppose those efforts that attempt to use the environmental causes to purposefully disrupt and stop those interests within the oil and gas industry. We strongly support the immediate repeal of the Endangered Species Act. We strongly oppose the listing of the dune sage brush lizard either as a threatened or an endangered species. We believe the Environmental Protection Agency should be abolished.

- We oppose sale and use of the dangerous “Morning After Pill.”

- We oppose any sex education other than abstinence until marriage.

- We affirm that the practice of homosexuality tears at the fabric of society and contributes to the breakdown of the family unit. Homosexual behavior is contrary to the fundamental, unchanging truths that have been ordained by God, recognized by our country’s founders, and shared by the majority of Texans. Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable “alternative” lifestyle, in public policy, nor should “family” be redefined to include homosexual “couples.” We believe there should be no granting of special legal entitlements or creation of special status for homosexual behavior, regardless of state of origin. Additionally, we oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction or belief in traditional values.

- We believe the current teaching of a multicultural curriculum is divisive. We favor strengthening our common American identity and loyalty instead of political correctness that nurtures alienation among racial and ethnic groups. Students should pledge allegiance to the American and Texas flags daily to instill patriotism.

- We support objective teaching and equal treatment of all sides of scientific theories. We believe theories such as life origins and environmental change should be taught as challengeable scientific theories subject to change as new data is produced. Teachers and students should be able to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of these theories openly and without fear of retribution or discrimination of any kind.

and so on…

June 27, 2012, 7:50 a.m.

It's the real deal. If you head on over to their official site, http://www.texasgop.org/, you can find links to the same doc.

Scary, scary shit.

Kn.

June 27, 2012, 8:10 a.m.

I wonder if they realize that they have more in common with muslim extremists than Americans?

Pastor of Muppets

June 27, 2012, 8:28 a.m.

I think I'm hooked now! I'm going to have to read the whole thing to really get a feel for things down there. Ooh, here's another good one:

Classroom Discipline – We recommend that local school boards and classroom teachers be given more authority to deal with disciplinary problems. Corporal punishment is effective and legal in Texas.

This truly is some scary stuff. It's like the exact opposite of everything I was taught as a kid…

Edit: If you want more, take a look at this site - these are the kind of folks who draft up documents like the above: http://www.conservativesforum.com/

June 27, 2012, 8:50 a.m.

I wonder if they realize that they have more in common with muslim extremists than Americans?

i wonder how many of them are secretly GAY !!

June 27, 2012, 9:02 a.m.

UN Treaty on the Rights of the Child ? We unequivocally oppose the United States Senate’s ratification of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

American Identity Patriotism and Loyalty – We believe the current teaching of a multicultural curriculum is divisive. We favor strengthening our common American identity and loyalty instead of political correctness that nurtures alienation among racial and ethnic groups. Students should pledge allegiance to the American and Texas flags daily to instill patriotism.

CHL Laws Applied to Texas Truckers – We call for truckers working within the state of Texas to enjoy the full benefits of the Texas Concealed Handgun License law irrespective of unreasonable and intrusive federal regulations.

Unborn Victims of Violence – We believe a person who injures or kills an unborn child should be subject to criminal and civil litigation.

Business Tax – We urge repeal of the Texas business tax.

Sarbanes Oxley – We support the repeal of Sarbanes Oxley legislation.

That last one might be the most dangerous, and it's just one quiet line buried deep in the document…

June 27, 2012, 9:03 a.m.

June 27, 2012, 9:04 a.m.

i wonder how many of them are secretly GAY !!

Re-post -[HTML_REMOVED] http://www.ranker.com/list/top-10-anti-gay-activists-caught-being-gay/joanne

Kn.

June 27, 2012, 9:11 a.m.

The most disturbing aspect to this is that I am not at all surprised.

June 27, 2012, 9:30 a.m.

Sarbanes Oxley – We support the repeal of Sarbanes Oxley legislation.

More Enron, Worldcom, etc. type scandals, here we come!!

The act was approved by the House by a vote of 423 in favor, 3 opposed, and 8 abstaining and by the Senate with a vote of 99 in favor, 1 abstaining. President George W. Bush signed it into law, stating it included "the most far-reaching reforms of American business practices since the time of Franklin D. Roosevelt. The era of low standards and false profits is over; no boardroom in America is above or beyond the law."

Bush signed it into law with massive support of both houses, yet the Reps suddenly don't like it. Ummm, because their corporate bum-buddies find it inconvenient.

Kn.

June 27, 2012, 9:40 a.m.

We have this sort of person in the Comox Valley - when asked what he thought of the recent Car Free Sunday event, a local taxi company owner had this to say:

"As I see it, they are encouraging youth to be defiant, calling on them to 'take back the streets.' It's like 'Occupy the Streets.' Streets belong to taxpayers and they are designed and built to be driven on.

"Events like this teach kids to be defiant about society's normal rules and protocols," he added.

Full article here…

http://www.canada.com/Future+Free+Sunday+road+closures+could+curbed/6803991/story.html

Not like we ever figure out that our "normal rules and protocols" are wrong…like slavery for instance? Women not being allowed to vote or hold office??

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca