Tenancy/rental experts

Jan. 6, 2012, 5:20 p.m.

I can't find this information on the BC Tenancy Act website so maybe someone here knows:

If a tenant writes a cheque for rent in February and the landlord forgets to cash it until November or December, at which point it's staledated, is the tenant obligated to write another cheque/get the landlord that money? Would the case be different if the tenant no longer lived there?

www.gnarwhale.com

Jan. 6, 2012, 6:32 p.m.

People still use cheques?

insert 1995 joke

Jan. 6, 2012, 8:19 p.m.

That's a doozy

Jan. 6, 2012, 8:28 p.m.

What's a cheque?

Jan. 6, 2012, 9:27 p.m.

sounds like a twist on the Nigerian's scam.

Jan. 6, 2012, 10:08 p.m.

No clear cut answer. Gonna have to go to the RTO for a decision. They may kick I to small claims. Technically the money was to be paid and never was but a judge or RTO arbitrator could easily tell the landlord it is up to them to have their shit together enough to not wait 6plus months to deposit.

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Jan. 7, 2012, 6:33 a.m.

I can't find this information on the BC Tenancy Act website so maybe someone here knows:

If a tenant writes a cheque for rent in February and the landlord forgets to cash it until November or December, at which point it's staledated, is the tenant obligated to write another cheque/get the landlord that money? Would the case be different if the tenant no longer lived there?

I had a landlord not cash my cheque for 1.5 months after I wrote it, back in my renting days. I canceled it, called him, and told him that if he expected my rent to be paid within 1 week of the end of the month, I expected him to cash it within one week of being paid and try again next month. Got a freebie out of it, he never pursued me.

Jan. 7, 2012, 8:34 a.m.

I had a landlord not cash my cheque for 1.5 months after I wrote it, back in my renting days. I canceled it, called him, and told him that if he expected my rent to be paid within 1 week of the end of the month, I expected him to cash it within one week of being paid and try again next month. Got a freebie out of it, he never pursued me.

Cool story bro, but it doesn't really have any bearing. Your guy just decided not to pursue

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Jan. 7, 2012, 9:29 a.m.

What's a cheque?

It's similar to a check, but you can take it to the bank and exchange it for monopoly money instead of something with dead presidents on it.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Jan. 7, 2012, 9:43 a.m.

Actually, it's a person from the Balkan area of Europe, south of Poland.

And you guys need to brush up on your spelling of Czech!

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 7, 2012, 9:51 a.m.

Cool story bro, but it doesn't really have any bearing. Your guy just decided not to pursue

What I'm saying, in a round-about kinda way, is that pursuit of this one would be kind of douche-maneuver.

Jan. 7, 2012, 10:07 a.m.

You live there.
You pay to live there.
Legally you owe.
Since you attempted to pay, consistently and on time;
Could catch a break from your landlord. It's up to them.
It's best to cooperate with your landlord and them cooperate with you.
You could spread the missed/uncashed payment over four months so it's affordable.
Or take them to court over one months rent, sour the relationship, and possibly be terminated as a tenant.
Not because of this issue. But as a landlord, there are several undisputable reasons to evict a tenant.
Ex) the landlord will be using your unit as their main residence.

Try to work it out. You can't expect to live somewhere for free.

I can jump and turn my bars.

Jan. 7, 2012, 10:56 a.m.

a check written for any reason is good for 1 year from the date on the check and after 1 yr the bank won't cash it, you could check with a bank but that is my understanding, so if I read what you are saying LL hasnt cashed the check which is [HTML_REMOVED] one year old so the bank would cash it but then it could bounce which is going to cost you for the bounced check and you still owe him the money … probably better for everyone to play nice

edit: if buddy forgets until this coming feb and you don't live there anymore you would very likely be home free if he didnt pursue action and he likely wouldn't

Jan. 7, 2012, 11:02 a.m.

If memory serves I think they have a week to cash it.

There are def fail safes for the tenant on this one.

You will not be the first that had a slacker landlord.

Tenants can not have their personal finances messed up because the landlord did not cash the rent cheque in a timely fashion.

Try and find a copy of the Residential Tenancy Act. I have one in a box, if you have no luck I will look for it.

I would bet the farm on this one that the landlord will have to suck it up.

You did your part, he( she) did not.

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

Jan. 7, 2012, 11:35 a.m.

http://www.rto.gov.bc.ca/

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.