Teh new prez

March 5, 2021, 12:16 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

sure - but you soak in the fake garbage from a dozen other platforms.

Maybe I'll cross post in the PQOD but one mans garbage is another mans gold.

March 5, 2021, 5:42 p.m.

@Tungsten (I’m not quoting that mess).

How do you solve the 8 senators that voted against Bernie’s 15$ amendment vote? I’m in full agreement that 15$/hour makes absolute sense, but how do you pass the Senate.

Never mind that those 8 only gets them to 50+1.  Filibuster is still a problem after that.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on March 5, 2021, 5:43 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 5, 2021, 6:01 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

February 25, 2020

Dear President Biden and Vice President Harris,

We are women of color, people of color, women, low-wage workers and organizations that represent and support them. We are writing to urge you to use the full power of your office to bring essential financial relief to all working people in America, by ensuring that a $15 federal minimum wage is included in the budget reconciliation process, regardless of the opinion of the parliamentarian.

As President of the Senate, Vice President Harris has the Constitutional power to disregard the recommendation of the Senate Parliamentarian and include this provision in the COVID relief legislation.

The vast bipartisan majority of Americans support this policy. President Biden simply must rise up for the communities who turned out in record numbers to elect him and support the Vice President in taking this action on behalf of his Administration.

The passage of a $15 federal minimum wage and elimination of the subminimum wages for tipped workers, workers with disabilities, and youth would guarantee a livable wage for all workers for the first time in our country’s nearly 250-year history.

As you know, women and people of color were the deciding force in electing both the President and the Senate in the 2020 elections; a $15 minimum wage was one of the top reasons they voted and will determine whether they vote again.

This single, powerful move will begin to reset the economic system so that millions of low-wage workers — disproportionately of women of color and communities of color — will no longer be treated as second-class citizens.

Thank you.

Warmly,

(A Growing List)

One Fair Wage

She The People

Women’s March

UltraViolet

Center for Popular Democracy

Abortion Access Front

Action Center on Race and the Economy

All* Above All Action Fund

Black Leaders Organizing for Communities

Black Lives Matter Michigan

Black Women’s Roundtable

Black Youth Vote

CASA

Center for Disability Rights

Churches United for Fair Housing (CUFFH)

Closing the Women's Wealth Gap

Communities United

Ella Baker Center for Human Rights

Employee Rights Center

Equal Rights Advocates

Future Coalition

Girls Who Code

Granite State Organizing Project

Howe’s Bayou

Jobs With Justice

Just Strategy

Local Roots

LUCHA Arizona

MA TPS Coalition

Maine People’s Alliance

Make The Road NY

Matahari Women Workers’ Center

Meriden Congregational Church, UCC

Mijente

National Black Workers Center

National Coalition on Black Civic Participation

National Council of Jewish Women

New York Communities For Change

Open Society Policy Center

Our Future West Virginia

Patriotic Millionaires

PCUN Oregon

People For the American Way

People's Action

Presente.org

RAISE High Road Restaurants

Rights and Democracy (VT & NH)

Shriver Center for Poverty Law

Sisters for Justice

Step Up Louisiana

Soup Chefs

Stonewall Detroit

Supermajority

The Urban League

United We Dream

Workers Defense Action Fund

Working Hero Action

Working Washington / Fair Work Center

Workplace Fairness

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FWoEXFYk8IZ1OdzBFNIGFp_xwlsiD8EZXbwCGN2l1JQ/edit

https://medium.com/@WorkingFamilies/the-choice-for-democrats-in-congress-go-big-or-go-home-265ed3f4f4cd

March 6, 2021, 6:57 a.m.

Never mind the U.S. minimum wage, how about our own? I find it hard to swallow that the federal government is not more involved with this. I think it’s time to do more for the working poor. On average in Canada the minimum wage is anywhere from eleven to fifteen bucks. Convert that to U.S. dollars.

March 11, 2021, 3:32 p.m.

It's $14.60 CDN in BC, which is still piss all in Vancouver.  

I remember making 5 bucks an hour at my first job as a kid in the late 80's so I thought I would see if that was minimum wage.  Close, but not quite.  It was $4.75.  That is only $9.42 adjusted for inflation.  I guess only kids had those jobs back then.

March 11, 2021, 4:03 p.m.

$6.25 in the mills in Mackenzie was enough to buy lodging, liquor, drugs and still save money! 

It was 1975 though......

March 15, 2021, 11:40 p.m.

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-sovietization-of-the-american

March 16, 2021, 11:35 a.m.

I worked very briefly at the  hastings & alpha Macdonalds, got a check for 14. 60 $

but that was for 10hrs

March 17, 2021, 11:06 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I worked very briefly at the  hastings & alpha Macdonalds, got a check for 14. 60 $

but that was for 10hrs

Wasn't it called Ye Olde Scottish Burger Tavern back then?

March 19, 2021, 8:24 p.m.

+ Old drug warriors never die, they just become meaner and more malicious…The Biden administration is firing and demoting staffers for past marijuana use.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/03/19/joe-biden-staffers-fired-over-past-marijuana-use/?fbclid=IwAR3CehtnQFrE7CzvnRg6XiVx2JiG3Sg5XdkmppPJO_BGnrZhKe0kWnbnKSk

+ If there’s going to be a purge of pot-smokers in the Biden White House, I hope it includes Kamala Harris, an admitted toker, who then cruelly prosecuted black teens for minor possession offenses…

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/11/politics/kamala-harris-marijuana-legalization/index.html

March 21, 2021, 11:30 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Never mind the U.S. minimum wage, how about our own? I find it hard to swallow that the federal government is not more involved with this. I think it’s time to do more for the working poor. On average in Canada the minimum wage is anywhere from eleven to fifteen bucks. Convert that to U.S. dollars.

I might've said this previously but I thought the min wage was an incentive to better oneselve's... ? Does raising it across the board/country solve the problem? Or does it give companies a reason to implement automation for some min wage jobs in the not so distant future?

March 22, 2021, 3:21 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Posted by: FLATCH

I might've said this previously but I thought the min wage was an incentive to better oneselve's... ? Does raising it across the board/country solve the problem? Or does it give companies a reason to implement automation for some min wage jobs in the not so distant future?

A higher wage wouldn't stall automation for long.  The costs come down for technology too fast.  Robots will have all the McJobs pretty soon.

March 22, 2021, 5:04 p.m.

I duno what wages are like in japan but if you have been  you have seen the vending m/c, they use them everywhere to reduce manpower/cut costs,

you don't need a cashier just feed a machine with a card or money.

April 2, 2021, 11:23 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I duno what wages are like in japan but if you have been  you have seen the vending m/c, they use them everywhere to reduce manpower/cut costs,

you don't need a cashier just feed a machine with a card or money.

They also had vending machines circa 2005 that could temporarily beam a song into your head as you walk by it. Thats not the messed up part. The messed up part is if someone like me mentions voice2skull tech in 2021, I'm somehow the crazy one.

April 2, 2021, 11:26 a.m.

How do you guys feel about the Biden Admin giving a few Hotels a bail out? Its sort of what it is right?