Teacher's Strike

March 7, 2012, 10:44 p.m.

Pension policies in countries like Italy and Greece have had a terrible effect on their economies. For example, women could retire at 55 with a full pension and end up, on average, collecting a pension for almost 25 years. They did not pay in nearly enough to cover that amount of pension payout.

Hopefully pension plans in Canada will have it covered, but with Harper wanting to cut back on OAS I don't have high hopes.

These pension models are built around the assumption that everyone retires at 65 and is dead by 70 …

March 7, 2012, 10:57 p.m.

Easy solution would be to mandate death at 70.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 7, 2012, 11 p.m.

Easy solution would be to mandate death at 70.

Or force everyone to start smoking in high school.

March 7, 2012, 11:04 p.m.

Or force everyone to start smoking in high school.

An immediate increase in tax revenues, and less pension payouts in the future. Sounds like a win-win situation.

Let's get those cigarette vending machines installed into schools asap.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 7, 2012, 11:21 p.m.

Let's keep the HST

March 8, 2012, 5:30 a.m.

I can't say that I've done the fact checking, but when presented with that list, I raise an eyebrow and say "I'm unconvinced of the accuracy of these numbers".

Kn.

This.

…*nd couchserfer appears to be a master in the negotiation game.

Pastor of Muppets

March 8, 2012, 8:48 a.m.

Do Teachers still have a "Defined Benefit" pension?

cough..

"In one year, $337,805,545 was paid to the B.C. teachers pension plan. This was $104,725,123 more than the total of all B.C. school employees total remittance to Canada Revenue for Canada Pension plan, both employer and employee, Employment Insurance, both employer and employee, and Income Tax deductions totalling $233,080,422. Remember the employer portion is the B.C. taxpayer. Of all benefit payments, 37% of the total goes to the B.C. teachers pension plan."

http://www.canada.com/teachers+strike+could+portend+wider+public+sector+unrest/6267229/story.html

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

March 8, 2012, 8:53 a.m.

Doesn't want BC to turn into San Jose..

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/features/2011/11/michael-lewis-201111

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

March 8, 2012, 12:52 p.m.

I can't say that I've done the fact checking, but when presented with that list, I raise an eyebrow and say "I'm unconvinced of the accuracy of these numbers".

It's on the world wide Interweb therefore it is accurate. As the interweb would never lie.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 8, 2012, 8:12 p.m.

Why are people so ready to attack middle class pensions? Instead, we should be criticizing politician's huge pensions [HTML_REMOVED] crown corporation big boss's huge bonuses [HTML_REMOVED] buy-outs. I'm pretty sure most public sector workers have DB pensions. They are way more reliable than DC.

Thread killer

March 8, 2012, 9 p.m.

They are way more reliable than DC.

How are they more reliable?

When I was involved in one, they came in one day and said….anyone who can retire today, will get 100% of their pension, anyone who can retire in the next 2 years will get 75% and after that you get 50%. There was a couple that both worked at the same company that were in their 50's that got royally screwed. I was pretty young and only had 7 years invested, so the hit wasn't too bad.

My dad was also was involved in a DB plan and lost a pretty big amount of his pension due to the plan having difficulties.

I guess if it is a public sector job, it might be safe but other then that…I dont see it.

March 8, 2012, 9:27 p.m.

Why are people so ready to attack middle class pensions? Instead, we should be criticizing politician's huge pensions [HTML_REMOVED] crown corporation big boss's huge bonuses [HTML_REMOVED] buy-outs. I'm pretty sure most public sector workers have DB pensions. They are way more reliable than DC.

crown corp bonuses etc are peanuts compared to private sector.. Ive said it a few times but my ceo made $140M last year. that is fucked up..

DB pensions are only reliably going to screw the read of us.. see san Jose..

March 8, 2012, 9:39 p.m.

I have been teaching for 6 years. To summarize why teachers were/are on strike:

*Notice that wages are the 5th item on the list.

I love my job and work damn hard to make sure that students learn and have fun in my classroom. I offer extra help every morning, lunch, and afternoon. I coach basketball and a running club. I volunteer at dinners, dances, and grad ceremonies. I spend evenings and weekends at school planning quality lessons. From Sept-June, I work many more hours than a person working 40 hours a week for 50 weeks. And then I work some more during the summer. The majority of my colleagues do the same.

I'm not looking for sympathy or recognition, and I'm not complaining about my current situation. I could honestly care less about a raise (I certainly don't expect 15%). However, I do want a government that supports me in providing a great learning environment for my students. I don't want larger class sizes with more special needs students, unfair hiring and firing practices, and a totally loss of professional autonomy. If the government attempts to force these on me, I will stand up for myself and my students and the future of this country.

End rant. :)

March 8, 2012, 9:56 p.m.

I should ask my bro in-law how many hours he volunteered last year between year book committee and coaching HS basketball. We can compare results with the Teachers are paid too much crowd

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

March 8, 2012, 11:08 p.m.

DB pensions are only reliably going to screw the read of us.. see san Jose..

That's why they're going out of style.

However, I do want a government that supports me in providing a great learning environment for my students. I don't want larger class sizes with more special needs students, unfair hiring and firing practices, and a totally loss of professional autonomy. If the government attempts to force these on me, I will stand up for myself and my students and the future of this country.

You've got support, from everyone, for providing a great learning environment.

How many students do you have in your current classes? How many more will be added? What type of unfair firing and hiring practices have been occurring? Or are being proposed?

As for professional autonomy, that's a tough one. Teachers unionized. I would think that being a professional association would have been better. Anyway, people who aren't part of a union are growing weary of job action that is disruptive and detrimental. The illegal strike of a few years ago cost teachers any public support they had, and going out again definitely doesn't give any credence to a stance that the education of the student is most important.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells