Switzerland accomodations

Aug. 31, 2010, 10 p.m.

i'm leaving for swiss town in 2 weeks. looking for some accomodations for a few of the nights.

has anyone been down and around to the swiss national park? what about hotels there? we won't have camping equipment or a car.

also we are going to check out interlaken. recommendations of reasonable accomodations there?

stoked!

:heart::coffee::heart:

Sept. 1, 2010, 4:58 a.m.

Sorry, I can't offer any accomodation suggestions (other than for Geneva, where the youth hostel I stayed at was decent), but in case you don't know already, get ready to pay double of what you're used to for everything in Switzerland. I'm not even kidding. A Big Mac meal is $13. If you want to eat dinner for less than $15-20 per person, go to a grocery store and self cater. But go before 7:00 pm, since they all close then. I found this out the hard way, thus necessitating the Big Mac meal. Have fun, I really enjoyed Switzerland (despite the high costs) and I'd love to go back some day.

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

Sept. 1, 2010, 7:35 a.m.

yea i know it's expensive and we figure this will probably be the only time we can afford to go so we are going for it.

we are also going down to verbier to get on some bikes while we're there. if anyone knows of places to stay there that would be sweet to.

:heart::coffee::heart:

Sept. 1, 2010, 7:51 a.m.

Switzerland is expensive towards Geneve, Zermatt, basicly the French end of the country mostly. You should have researched the area your going first before booking your trip, that part of Switzerland it's easy to run out of money real fast. But that's like anywhere else in the world, there's different price ranges They charge for everything even parking is a pain because theirs absolutely nowhere to park for free. Food and lodging is way up there in prices but if you go towards St-Gallen (German part) it's not that bad if you plan the trip. When we go to my wifes family and eat at restaurants it's only 10% more then Montreal average restaurants. Oh, and comparing McDonald's prices in Geneve (Tourist area), pretty silly to go eat there in a country with amazing food of their own.

Sept. 1, 2010, 8:06 a.m.

yea i know it's expensive and we figure this will probably be the only time we can afford to go so we are going for it.

we are also going down to verbier to get on some bikes while we're there. if anyone knows of places to stay there that would be sweet to.

In Verbier, there's a backpacker's hostel that's inside an old nuclear bunker. It's about the cheapest you'll find, and it's right at the bottom of the gondola. Their website seems to be down but contact info is here:

http://www.verbierride.com/verbier/accommodation.html

Sept. 1, 2010, 9:17 a.m.

Oh, and comparing McDonald's prices in Geneve (Tourist area), pretty silly to go eat there in a country with amazing food of their own.

I've been traveling europe for a month and a half now, and that was the only time I stooped as low as McDicks. There was truly no where else you could get a meal for less than $15. But like you said, it's all about researching where you go. The only reason I was in Geneva was for a private tour of CERN :nerd:

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

Sept. 1, 2010, 9:57 a.m.

I've been traveling europe for a month and a half now, and that was the only time I stooped as low as McDicks. There was truly no where else you could get a meal for less than $15. But like you said, it's all about researching where you go. The only reason I was in Geneva was for a private tour of CERN :nerd:

Nice. ;)

Sept. 1, 2010, 10:02 a.m.

There are ways to stay on the cheap en Suisse. Or at least there used to be.

Places like Balmer's in Interlaken if you like frat boys and Sorority girls are cheap - and hostels are cheap everywhere. Most hostels allow you to cook your own food and groceries are reasonable (as is beer and wine!)

My favourite place in Switzerland is in the Berner Oberland. Gimmelwald is across the valley from Grindelwald and often mistaken for it. There is a little hostel there and a small hotel and it's about the most beautiful place I've been. In the shoulder season it's not too busy or too expensive.

Sept. 1, 2010, 10:05 a.m.

^ jebus. i wanna go there!

Sept. 1, 2010, 10:10 a.m.

^ jebus. i wanna go there!

whitehorse looks pretty much the same

Sept. 1, 2010, 10:12 a.m.

whitehorse looks pretty much the same

really? sweet. haven't really looked it up much yet.
:)