Swine Flu

April 25, 2009, 11:31 a.m.

Started in Mexico City, and is now suspected in Cali, New York, and Texas.

Combination of 2 Swine, 1 Bird and 1 Human virus, thought to be highly unusual by WHO.

Mexico City is on restricted activity and they are talking about the possibility of a city-wide quarantine.

My ex GF is in Mexico City, and has already been sick with 3 days in the hospital due to an unknown stomach ailment.

The Stand anyone?

Google Interactive Map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8[HTML_REMOVED]hl=en[HTML_REMOVED]t=p[HTML_REMOVED]msa=0[HTML_REMOVED]msid=106484775090296685271.0004681a37b713f6b5950[HTML_REMOVED]ll=22.22809,-111.357422[HTML_REMOVED]spn=35.796953,63.896484[HTML_REMOVED]z=4

News Links:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/25/swine.flu/index.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8018356.stm

Montreal, possible:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090425/swine_flu_090425/20090425?hub=TopStories

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

April 25, 2009, 12:06 p.m.

yikes, Avian bird flu, mad cow, and now Swine… whats next Night of the living dead…lambs?

Just because I like boys doesn't mean I want to go out with Mike.

April 25, 2009, 12:18 p.m.

Solution.

1. Kill all the pigs.
2.Eat bacon all day
3.?????
4. Profit.

April 25, 2009, 12:51 p.m.

http://www.grist.org/article/2009-04-25-swine-flu-smithfield/

Swine-flu outbreak linked to Smithfield factory farms.

The outbreak of a new flu strain

April 25, 2009, 1:01 p.m.

dont pirates get this?

April 25, 2009, 1:13 p.m.

har har har

that is the most reatrded thing ever even a retarded would say thats retarded

April 25, 2009, 2:53 p.m.

the world

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 25, 2009, 3:09 p.m.

this is shitty :( my friend just went to Mexico Thursday :(

has anyone read anywhere if there are any cases in Cancun?

April 25, 2009, 3:19 p.m.

should I still be scared of terrorists?
what about the recession?

please tell me what i should fear now so i can buy into whatever agenda is being pushed.
thank you.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

April 25, 2009, 3:29 p.m.

[tinfoil hat]why do they have a large supply of an anti-virus for a flu that has been around for only a limited amount of time?[/tinfoil hat]

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

April 25, 2009, 3:48 p.m.

When I was a kid, flu was just something that made you sick. You stayed home for a couple days, got better, went back to school. No big deal.

Now it's a "killer" with quarantines like crazy. Hmmm …

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 25, 2009, 4:03 p.m.

Blow the bridges before it reaches the shore!

April 25, 2009, 4:16 p.m.

When I was a kid, flu was just something that made you sick. You stayed home for a couple days, got better, went back to school. No big deal.

Now it's a "killer" with quarantines like crazy. Hmmm …

Kn.

That's because what you got was a common cold and not influenza.

Influenza is harsh. The Spanish flu killed 50 million people.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 25, 2009, 7:42 p.m.

this is shitty :( my friend just went to Mexico Thursday :(

has anyone read anywhere if there are any cases in Cancun?

there have been outbreaks of this since march 15th apparently.

my ex is around cancun and she had some sort of unexplained illness that put her the hospital for 3 days, and they did not know what it was.

its got a long gestation period, what that means, you have it, and are contagious for a long time before you feel the symptoms, so its the perfect virus for spreading.

i dont know what the latest is, but for sure new york, texas and california show cases, but no one outside of mexico has died, as far as they are saying.

first hand doctor accounts from mexico city say the figures are much worse than the official ones.

they may quarantine the city, last i heard.

your friend may need to hang out for a while, and if not, i would hold off on any affectionate welcome back celebrations.

April 25, 2009, 8:10 p.m.

This part is frightening. The decree allows Calderon to regulate transportation, enter any home or building for inspection

I wonder how many people will be arrested from the discovery of illegal actvities during one of these searches. Seems like a perfect way around a search warrant.

And the guy who recently showed Obama around during his recent Mexican visit died the day after the visit.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087[HTML_REMOVED]sid=aEsNownABJ6Q[HTML_REMOVED]refer=worldwide

Mexico[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s Calderon Declares Emergency Amid Swine Flu Outbreak

Share | Email | Print | A A A

By Thomas Black

April 25 (Bloomberg) - Mexican President Felipe Calderon declared an emergency in his country[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s swine flu outbreak, giving him powers to order quarantines and suspend public events.

Authorities have canceled school at all levels in Mexico City and the state of Mexico until further notice, and the government has shut most public and government activities in the area. The emergency decree, published today in the state gazette, gives the president authority to take more action.

[HTML_REMOVED]#8220;The federal government under my charge will not hesitate a moment to take all, all the measures necessary to respond with efficiency and opportunity to this respiratory epidemic,[HTML_REMOVED]#8221; Calderon said today during a speech to inaugurate a hospital in the southern state of Oaxaca.

At least 20 deaths in Mexico from the disease are confirmed, Health Minister Jose Cordova said yesterday. The strain is a variant of H1N1 swine influenza that has also sickened at least eight people in California and Texas. As many as 68 deaths may be attributed to the virus in Mexico, and about 1,000 people in the Mexico City area are showing symptoms of the illness, Cordoba said.

Obama[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s Visit

The first case was seen in Mexico on April 13. The outbreak coincided with the President Barack Obama[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s trip to Mexico City on April 16. Obama was received at Mexico[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s anthropology museum in Mexico City by Felipe Solis, a distinguished archeologist who died the following day from symptoms similar to flu, Reforma newspaper reported. The newspaper didn[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;t confirm if Solis had swine flu or not.

The Mexican government is distributing breathing masks to curtail the disease[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s spread. There is no vaccine against the new strain of swine flu, health authorities said.

Museums, theaters and other venues in the Mexico City area, where large crowds gather, have shut down voluntarily and concerts and other events canceled to help contain the disease. Two professional soccer games will be played tomorrow in different Mexico City stadiums without any fans, El Universal newspaper reported. Catholic masses will be held, the newspaper said, although church officials urged worshipers to wear breath masks and to avoid contact.

Schools will likely remain closed next week, Calderon said in the Oaxaca speech. The decree allows Calderon to regulate transportation, enter any home or building for inspection, order quarantines and assign any task to all federal, state and local authorities as well as health professionals to combat the disease.

[HTML_REMOVED]#8220;The health of Mexicans is a cause that we[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;re defending with unity and responsibility,[HTML_REMOVED]#8221; Calderon said. [HTML_REMOVED]#8220;I know that although it[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s a grave problem, a serious problem, we[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;re going to overcome it.[HTML_REMOVED]#8221;

Normal Airport Operations

Mexico City[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s international airport, which handles about 70,000 passengers each day, is operating normally, said Victor Mejia, a spokesman. Passengers are given a questionnaire asking if they have flu symptoms and recommending they cancel their trip and see a doctor if they do. The measures are voluntary, Mejia said, and no case of swine flu in airport passengers, workers or visitors has been confirmed.

Authorities throughout Central America have issued alerts to prevent the outbreak from spreading. Guatemala ordered tighter control yesterday of its northern border with Mexico, according to EFE. Gerberth Morales, who[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s heading the Guatemala government[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s response, said no cases of swine flu have been reported in his country, the Spanish news agency reported.

Brazil is intensifying vigilance in ports, airports and borders to check travelers[HTML_REMOVED]#8217; health, luggage, aircrafts and ships in a preventive action against the outbreak in Mexico, the Agency for Sanitary Vigilance said on its Web site.

To contact the reporter on this story: Thomas Black in Monterrey at [email protected]

Last Updated: April 25, 2009 16:45 EDT

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"