Swine Flu

April 25, 2009, 9:18 p.m.

I thought that was Syncro.

Kn.

OMFG!!! L0LZerzZZZZzz

spelting FailLure for you.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 25, 2009, 10:53 p.m.

http://www.3news.co.nz/News/Auckland-stude...rticleID=101256

Auckland students being tested for swine flu
3NEWS FIRST
Sun, 26 Apr 2009 4:05p.m.
video

A group of 25 staff and students of Rangitoto College on Auckland's North Shore are being tested for the deadly swine influenza after returning from a school trip to Mexico.

The group of 22 senior students and three teachers arrived into New Zealand after spending three weeks in Mexico.

After some of the group presented symptoms of an influenza-like illness, the Auckland Regional Public Health Service (ARPHS) is conducting preliminary tests to determine the cause of the illness.

"We are taking this very seriously and doing everything necessary to manage this situation in Auckland," says ARPHS Clinical Director Dr Julia Peters. "The Ministry of Health is managing the response to this issue at a national level."

More than 80 people in Mexico are believed to have died and over 1,300 are sick as a result of catching swine flu which has led to the closure of schools in Mexico City.

There have also been cases of the swine flu reported in New York, California and Kansas and a British Airways pilot has been hospitalised in London with flu symptoms after returning from Mexico.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the outbreaks a "public health event of international concern" and said they could cause a pandemic - a global epidemic of serious disease.

Normal border control procedures were in place, and the WHO has asked all countries to "intensify surveillance for unusual outbreaks of influenza-like illness and severe pneumonia".

The New Zealand Ministry of Health it is in contact with the WHO and was liaising with Australia over its response.

"We are implementing the early stages of our pandemic response plan," a spokesman said. "However at this stage there is no indication that this will be needed."

The best things you can do to stop the spread of any type of influenza virus is to:

• Stay at home and away from others if you are sick
  • Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue
  • Put used tissues into a rubbish bin
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth - germs spread that way
  • Be careful to wash hands often with soap and dry them thoroughly - hand hygiene is critical: even when you start to feel better there is still a risk of infecting others, so keep to the 20/20 rule - 20 seconds washing and 20 seconds drying
  • Keep surfaces clean at home, school and work.

Travellers returning from Mexico or the affected parts of the United States who have symptoms of influenza are advised, before returning to work or school, to contact their GP or an after hours medical centre by phone, for advice about what to do and how to get checked out.

Anybody experiencing warning signs of severe influenza illness such as rapid breathing, difficulty breathing, chest pain, severe vomiting or if a child is not responding or is difficult to wake up, should get urgent medical attention.

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

April 26, 2009, 12:33 a.m.

Anybody experiencing warning signs of severe influenza illness such as rapid breathing, difficulty breathing, chest pain, severe vomiting or if a child is not responding or is difficult to wake up, should get urgent medical attention.

lol wow… really??

April 26, 2009, 10 a.m.

Possible cases in Vancouver now.

Interestingly, from what I gather, it has a 10% infection rate and only kills about 6% of those infected, so we are looking at .5% which is not that much higher than any other flu is it?

But, Mexico's government now has sweeping powers to detain and treat people, and Baxter (the same company that "accidentally" sent Bird Flu around the world in Vaccine shipments, is going to make vaccines immediately.

Keep an eye on this one folks.

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

April 26, 2009, 10:20 a.m.

sensationalist media is sensationalist.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

April 26, 2009, 11:05 a.m.

Similar avatars are similar.

This space intentionally left blank.

April 26, 2009, 11:41 a.m.

should I still be scared of terrorists?
what about the recession?

please tell me what i should fear now so i can buy into whatever agenda is being pushed.
thank you.

Nail "meat" head…

Maybe it's gods way of punishing all the non-jews for eating pork…:/

I know we have to be vigilant, but living your life in fear is the American way, I
left there to be here.

What we have to worry about is the virulent strain of fear and mass panic that
infects 50% of Americans, before it reaches pandemic proportions again.

Immunize yourselves against that. You still have a better chance of being run
over by a car on your way to the store, then getting a deadly flu.

Doesn't mean I'll be making any plans to head to Mexico anytime soon, but
I'm not going to lock myself in my house "till it blows over" either.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

April 26, 2009, 11:48 a.m.

On my home late last week, as I entered Aldergrove, I noticed a massive increase in the number of people on bikes - like 10 times as many. Looked close and I realized it was the yearly influx of Mexican farm workers. They must have arrived that day, and probably all decided to check out the town.

I wonder now, if we're going to see the flu out here.

On a related, but off-topic note: Last year, I resurrected 5 old bikes that had been laying around the house, and took them to one of the farms for the labourers to use. Funny to once in a while spot one of my old bikes around town.

April 26, 2009, 12:26 p.m.

And now time for some facts….
"BC Centre for Disease Control laboratories have preliminary confirmation that two individuals
in British Columbia have tested positive for the swine flu virus that has caused illness in the
United States and Mexico….." Read more (.pdf)

Linky, for the latest updates.

:mexico: :canada:

April 27, 2009, 6:52 p.m.

cover your mouth when you cough jerk…

and don't pick your nose rub your eyes or lick your fingers or the hand rail in the bus.

and don't take the prescribed flue vaccination whatever you do.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1601062,00.html

April 27, 2009, 7:32 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB5-Y08qbjo

April 27, 2009, 7:53 p.m.

Any one else wondering why the haven't shut the border yet if there is such a chance for a pandemic?

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

April 27, 2009, 7:59 p.m.

bacon is good.

porkchops is good.

April 27, 2009, 8:09 p.m.

bacon is good.

porkchops is good.

bacon wrapped porkchops is good.

April 27, 2009, 8:14 p.m.

Any one else wondering why the haven't shut the border yet if there is such a chance for a pandemic?

This whole thing was concocted by the Mexican drug cartels to get the press off their back.

Either that, or it's an alien virus brought back to earth by PIGS IN SPACE.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells