sup nsmb

Dec. 13, 2010, 8:22 a.m.

I'm starting back at school in Jan too, part time, and work is paying most of it, which is sweet.

giv'er

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Dec. 13, 2010, 9:19 a.m.

If you go into a program at BCIT (probably other places too, but that is where I went) the key is making the right friends. You will be in the same set with the same people the whole time so if you have the right group for studying it makes a big difference. When I went there I studied with 4 others guys in my program and we each specialized in one or two of the harder courses so we always had someone that fully understood the material at crunch time.

Good luck man.

Dec. 13, 2010, 9:53 a.m.

i guess working 60 hours a week for 3 years, having 1 day off a week and destroying my social life really got to me.

if that got to you then you're still not ready for real life.

good luck tho.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 13, 2010, 9:59 a.m.

if that got to you then you're still not ready for real life.

good luck tho.

I worked 60-70 hours a week for the last year. It didn't get to me, but who says that's how life has to be? I'm no longer working that job, that's for sure. Cut into my riding time!

I notice a lot of people act tougher/pretend to deal with more shit than they really do, just to make majin feel like he's useless.

Faithless…good luck with school, and sorting your shit out man.

Bicycles!

Dec. 13, 2010, 10:04 a.m.

This board sometimes renews my faith in humanity. This is one of those times.

Hang in there Faithless. Getting out in the woods often helps me when I'm losing it some.

Dec. 13, 2010, 10:05 a.m.

don't worry, he won't get that day a week off at BCIT

chupacabra has it right. I don't think anyone gets through that place on their own. I graded from the mining program back in may, and that is the only way that everyone I know did it. Having transferred to uni to finish off my degree, I would say the big difference is that nothing at BCIT is hard on its own, but there was just so much that you needed everyone else. Now, I have way less (20 credits vs 35) but they are individually harder. I still think that this is easier. Its exam week, and I only have 3 exams coming up, instead of 8 or 9.

Don't worry about your age. You'll still be younger than many of your classmates. I went there with a guy who went to school with my parents. I would say our average age was close to 25, with the school avg at 29 iirc. We only had 2 out of the 15 of us who graduated that were straight out of high school.

I know a girl who survived nursing there while I was in mining. You're talking [HTML_REMOVED]full time school work, and working for free close to full time to get your volunteer hrs in at a hospital or whatever.

Oh, and you lucky bastard. 4th floor SW1 is definitely easier on the eyes than the mining / trades area was.

Good luck. You'll need it.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Dec. 13, 2010, 10:25 a.m.

Good luck. It is never too late to go back to school, especially at 24. I have a family member that have up and quit his career in his 40s and started fresh in the medical industry- he loves it and is great at it.

Like already mentioned, surround yourself with people that are serious about being there and you will succeed easier.

Good luck but remember there is a good chance you'll be working hella long hours as a nurse as well. But at least you'll be doing something you really like.

Dec. 13, 2010, 10:28 a.m.

Oh, and you lucky bastard. 4th floor SW1 is definitely easier on the eyes than the mining / trades area was.

:lol: When I came back for second year in mechanical engineering we had a BBQ with 300 people and 3 of them were female. :(

Dec. 13, 2010, 10:40 a.m.

lol did you do a thumbprint or something?

see god, be god.

Dec. 13, 2010, 10:45 a.m.

in before geretr0ll

and

good for you! School is always a good option. Just don't assume that it will be easier than your current life.

GPABoosters: SFU/UBC course review database
:ukraine:

Youtube clips are about as useful to me as a miniskirt in Iran.

Dec. 13, 2010, 10:57 a.m.

good for you! School is always a good option. Just don't assume that it will be easier than your current life.

This.

Work is easy compared to school. After spending 8 years as a student, just working is relaxing. Even on nights when i have to do an hour or two of work at home… I dont mind. During school, I tended to be studying 7 days+nights a week… and still not able to get everything done. I was probably putting in 80-100 hour weeks most of the year.

Dec. 13, 2010, 10:58 a.m.

This board sometimes renews my faith in humanity. This is one of those times.

Hang in there Faithless. Getting out in the woods often helps me when I'm losing it some.

werd

majin, don't listen to the "don't pop pills" advice… instead go see a mental health professional

but please don't get hooked on ativan

you are young and have all the time in the world to find a path, just get moving in the right direction.

positive thinking is the only path, let go of complaints and negativity. your future is what you make it

Dec. 13, 2010, 11:26 a.m.

Sorry to hear, everyone goes through rough times and it sounds like you are dealing with it in a very clear and thought out way. Don't worry about being "old" and going to school, you won't be anywhere near the oldest person there. Concentrate on doing your best and not rushing, take your time and do the best job you can. We live in unsettling times, it's rough for a lot of people.

You just gotta power through it and know that it'll be better, you can't afford to think too negatively.

Dec. 13, 2010, 12:40 p.m.

Screw people who think you're too old.
I'm 44 and back at school working on a PhD that, to be honest, is more for fun than for actual job security.
As far as doing any volunteer work or prerequisites, all I can say is "get it in writing." Make sure you get credit for doing anything not actually in your program.
And being a nurse is cool - my wife was an RN (now a nurse practitioner) and loves it. You can work pretty much anywhere on the planet (although you'll probably do a lot of night shifts).
Good luck

Dec. 13, 2010, 1:02 p.m.

I can't believe you guys are actually getting sucked into this bullshit, this is what? Majin's fifth breakdown? It's like watching a family being terrorized by a five year old throwing tantrums one minute, then coddling him the next, only to be shocked when he starts calling people "Little nammer bitches" and being ignorant again.