Suits, shirts, ties...

Oct. 30, 2012, 9:44 a.m.

I second Connor. Try http://www.indochino.com/ and let us know the results.

Way back when I had to dress nice for work I had a fleet of nice dress shirts. It sucks buying them at full prize if you need a number of them now, if you can troll the sale racks you save a bundle. Banana Republic always delivered good cut good quality shirts on a budget.

Online also check out Frank [HTML_REMOVED] Oak out of Montreal. They do a monthly subscription where you can sign up and they just send you stuff every month, you try it on have a look and send back what you don't want. No idea on the quality, it's direct to consumer so price is good.

Oct. 30, 2012, 9:59 a.m.

I like Ben Sherman for the tall lanky. Good if you like thin button-down collars (and wearing skinny ties), slim-cut shirts, etc. They have a really good selection at the Bay, and it's relatively affordable.

I tried some of the Topman stuff on - super cheap, and cheap looking. No better than H[HTML_REMOVED]M.

Oct. 30, 2012, 10:06 a.m.

Recent purchases:

For dress shirts I've been buying the higher end shirt that Tip Top sells (I think the brand is Grafton).

For sports coat I've bought CK from Tip Top.

For dress pants, check the sale racks at the Bay. Bought some Kenneth Cole.

Last suit I bought was from Rosen but that was a few years ago.

Ties, I've bought from Tip Top, Bay [HTML_REMOVED] Rosen. Now I usually just ask for them as gifts from relatives, with requests for specific material, colours [HTML_REMOVED] patterns.

Oct. 30, 2012, 10:18 a.m.

I second Connor. Try http://www.indochino.com/ and let us know the results.

Best fitting suit I've ever owned came from Indochino. Came fast, great quality too. Also comes with a form to take to a tailor if you need adjustments, you send the completed form back to Indochino so your next suit doesn't need any adjustments.

Oct. 30, 2012, 10:39 a.m.

My dad told me he got a suit made on the way thru hong kong velly fast velly cheap only one day he was so impressed he ordered some shirts

Oct. 30, 2012, 10:45 a.m.

The best piece of advice I can give you is spend a day on the weekend and head down to Seattle. Nordstrom's Rack is a godsend for high quality clothing at palatable prices. I bought my last two suits, one Hugo Boss and one Calvin Klein for $750 for the pair! At Holt Renfrew I would have been lucky to get the jacket to my Boss suit for that kind of money… They also have a pretty healthy selection. On your way home, stop at the outlets in Tulalip… Calvin Klein store, Hugo Boss store, Burberry store, even Banana Republic if any of the stuff strikes your fancy.

Mark

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop

Oct. 30, 2012, 10:56 a.m.

For shirts I have found TM Lewin to be great. Been wearing their shirts for 3-4 years. Last well, good fit (look at the slim fit ones).

http://www.tmlewin.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-tmlusd-Site/en_US/Default-Start

For suits, I have kind of a funny shape (short, fairly slim, big shoulders) so only custom really fits well.

Oct. 30, 2012, 11:04 a.m.

I visit this guy once a year for custom fits: http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/

Because that's just the way I roll…

Oct. 30, 2012, 11:10 a.m.

On your way home, stop at the outlets in Tulalip… Calvin Klein store, Hugo Boss store, Burberry store, even Banana Republic if any of the stuff strikes your fancy.

Mark

I find it rather ironic that many high end brands fight against knock-off versions of their stuff in order to retain the "integrity of their brand". Then go ahead and create cheap knock-off versions of their own stuff and sell it in factory outlet stores, essentially undermining their own argument.

http://shine.yahoo.com/financially-fit/what-outlet-malls-dont-want-you-to-know-2535354.html

Outlet malls have exploded in popularity in recent years, becoming one of the fastest-growing segments of American retail. For many shoppers, this siren song of bargains and high-quality designer merchandise at a low price is too irresistible to avoid, and they simply must stop to shop. But beneath all the fancy sparkle and fresh spackle of the countless outlets popping up all over the country, do they really deliver all they promise? It turns out that outlets have a few sneaky ways of tricking us into thinking we're getting a much better deal than we actually are.

The original outlet and factory stores sold overstocked, discontinued items, and imperfect merchandise unfit for retail sale; that's what made the prices so cheap. But nowadays, the majority of common outlet stores supplement their stock with merchandise created especially for outlet-store sale. These lines carry the brand name, but they're made with lower-quality fabrics and cheaper construction techniques. The companies depend on customers' inability to tell the difference between the quality of real designer merchandise and the lower-quality knockoffs carrying the same label. The knockoffs may be cheap, but that cheapness comes at the expense of quality.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 30, 2012, 11:18 a.m.

I'm 6'4", 205lbs, and have a 33" waist. I.e. tall and heavy but not fat thanks to a large frame.

The 2 best options I have are indochino.com (bit of trial and error on their dime) and shopping in Amsterdam. In Amsterdam I can walk into Dutch retailers and buy off the rack.

In terms of cost and time Indochino.com is a better bet than a trip to europe for pants.

If the OP is much lankier than me stuff off the rack at Mexx and Club Monaco might work.

Oct. 30, 2012, 11:20 a.m.

I may have missed it but - what do you need the suit etc. for?

If it is a daily driver - you might want to pay a bit more for quality.
If it is a "interview/funeral suit" you may want to spend a little more on the fitting.

As for suits themselves - I have had good luck at the Bay and Dunns. At Dunns I had to repeat my job description and place of residence to the salesperson a few times before I could find something conservative.

As for shirts, if it is for daily wear, hit up Winners once in a while - they sometimes get nice enough shirts in. - Usually a year or two out of style but if what you are looking for is a white or blue shirt it can work. Same with ties.

Oct. 30, 2012, 11:36 a.m.

I had to wear the suits for working on computer hardware so I would tell the sales person " Just give me something that looks good when its dirty " I got some really funny looks

IME Tweed jackets wore the best and looked the best with a little toner/dust/grease after 3 yrs the arms wear thru so you get the leather patches put on, the pockets wear thru from carrying random small pieces of HW, at 5 yrs the sleeve ends wear thru and the jacket is done

Oct. 30, 2012, 11:39 a.m.

IME Tweed jackets wore the best and looked the best with a little toner/dust/grease after 3 yrs the arms wear thru so you get the leather patches put on, the pockets wear thru from carrying random small pieces of HW, at 5 yrs the sleeve ends wear thru and the jacket is done

You must have looked like Dr. Who with a tweed jacket and pockets filled with random spanners.

Oct. 30, 2012, 11:48 a.m.

Dr Suzuki actualy

Oct. 30, 2012, 1:38 p.m.

Good I need to look for a suit next time Im in the city. Giving me some options here

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.