Subsidised Post Secondary Education

July 20, 2013, 11:48 a.m.

I think guys with 2 year tech degrees or high end red seal trades are working in camps, lots of OT not much life to gross [HTML_REMOVED] 100K per year

My buddy the geotech was making [HTML_REMOVED] the tech working under him because the tech could book OT while the the eng could not, not all eng's are ot exempt but I have seen a lot of professionals not get OT

the definition of a consultant is a guy with no job, I see consultants make huge $ IF they work but I see them doing 3-4 month of field work, writing the reports, taking huge writeoffs and making high 5 figures when its all said and done

but as pointed out if farmer is what what we end up with why bother with any post sec at all.. close the universities?

July 20, 2013, 11:53 a.m.

Most of the guys I know working as Rig Hands,Engineers or Consultants are working 12 hours a day. My neighbour is a consultant and he makes about 1200 bucks a day.

July 20, 2013, 12:01 p.m.

sounds like a great quality of life and tell us how many of them are broke waiting for breakup to end?

so 365-2x52-12x1200= what the neighbor bud grosses or is there a bunch of time writing reports, unpaid time between gigs, unpaid time spent writing job proposals and a smart consultant has banked 1yr of living expenses for the down time when business is down the tubes?

and how much of that $$ does he hang on to in that life style ?

they DO get to write off everything and its easy to hide personal expenses

July 20, 2013, 12:32 p.m.

They have Vampire Studies as a real course? I can completely understand your level of annoyance.

They have a zombie studies course at Emily Carr to (which I will be taking). I don't see much of a problem with these courses. It's not like their easy, and it's an elective. It's nice to have a course that isn't completely related to your studies that you can enjoy. These courses are about how vampires have came to be, through media, stories, etc, etc. You're studying about the culture of the things, and why they're popular. I bet it's a pretty good course.

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

July 20, 2013, 12:47 p.m.

sounds like a great quality of life and tell us how many of them are broke waiting for breakup to end?

so 365-2x52-12x1200= what the neighbor bud grosses or is there a bunch of time writing reports, unpaid time between gigs, unpaid time spent writing job proposals and a smart consultant has banked 1yr of living expenses for the down time when business is down the tubes?

and how much of that $$ does he hang on to in that life style ?

they DO get to write off everything and its easy to hide personal expenses

He works 20 on 10 off, spends all his days off working on or playing with his toys, riding his quads or his Hog.I don't know if he saves or not for downturns, but he seems to me to be smart enough to. His wife just got a new car (during break up) so I don't think it affects him much.

I do recall when I was working the rigs as a kid that most of us ( myself too ) used to get pretty thin money wise over break up.

And I have a question for ya xxxer, why do you seem so negative, do you have a problem with people that get an education or are successful through their own hard work? That is a question NOT an accusation so don't take it wrong.

Imagine the Social Program spending he supports with his taxes. Someone has to pay the tab for all the useless lay-about drones that sit idle and feast on the honey that the worker bees produce.

July 20, 2013, 1:22 p.m.

They have Vampire Studies as a real course? I can completely understand your level of annoyance.

GMST 454
A Cultural History of Vampires in Literature and Film

It looks like it's changed but when I was at UVic (mid 2000s) I had a friend take it; they basically sat around and watched vampire movies and then discussed them. Most of the mark was participation based, I don't remember her having to do any major projects or reports.

They have a zombie studies course at Emily Carr to (which I will be taking). I don't see much of a problem with these courses. It's not like their easy, and it's an elective. It's nice to have a course that isn't completely related to your studies that you can enjoy. These courses are about how vampires have came to be, through media, stories, etc, etc. You're studying about the culture of the things, and why they're popular. I bet it's a pretty good course.

Sure, I'll bet if you're actually there to study and learn something it's a great course. But I'd also bet that only a small fraction of those in the course are really interested in it, the rest are looking for an easy elective. Then again Emily Carr is also a little more picky about who they let in the door IIRC, so you'll likely have both a better course and a group of students who are actually up for some learning.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

July 20, 2013, 1:26 p.m.

That course sounds just like the ECU one, but ours is zombies and there is one paper or presentation at the end of the course.

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

July 20, 2013, 1:35 p.m.

That course sounds just like the ECU one, but ours is zombies and there is one paper or presentation at the end of the course.

Zombie studies..thats something an employer is sure to look for on a resume..

instead of wasting money on elective bullshit like vampires and zombies the educators should be putting that money into courses that will benefit society like educating teachers, doctors, nurses etc.

wasting a profs salary and a classroom to teach bullshit,pathetic really.

July 20, 2013, 1:44 p.m.

lol.

(i get 650eur each month just to study, studying itself is free besides some 130eur each semester for the administration and my public transportation ticket)

why should education cost something? the state benefits in the long term due to higher taxes

July 20, 2013, 1:52 p.m.

Zombie studies..thats something an employer is sure to look for on a resume..

instead of wasting money on elective bullshit like vampires and zombies the educators should be putting that money into courses that will benefit society like educating teachers, doctors, nurses etc.

wasting a profs salary and a classroom to teach bullshit,pathetic really.

You do know that a lot of these courses are generally made for those in the arts (especially mine cause it's an arts school)… I dont want to hear how arts isnt benefitting society either. Really there isnt anything wrong with a course on the studies of zombies/vampires in films and culture…

Not everyone wants to become a teacher, doctor, nurse, etc. Even for those that do, it's nice to take a course that's unrelated to their studies that they may enjoy.

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

July 20, 2013, 2:05 p.m.

Vampire Studies at UVic

Fucking ridiculous.

July 20, 2013, 2:07 p.m.

Taxpayer money at work so you have time to enjoy watching Twilight.

I think dot ca proves my point. GT, aren't you glad you're paying for this bullshit.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

July 20, 2013, 2:12 p.m.

You do know that a lot of these courses are generally made for those in the arts (especially mine cause it's an arts school)… I dont want to hear how arts isnt benefitting society either. Really there isnt anything wrong with a course on the studies of zombies/vampires in films and culture…

Not everyone wants to become a teacher, doctor, nurse, etc. Even for those that do, it's nice to take a course that's unrelated to their studies that they may enjoy.

Nothing wrong with the arts, the wife and I regularly attend improvisational theatre and support the arts. That said our education system is in crisis,schools are facing funding cutbacks, teachers are being laid off,and schools are crumbling. What benefits society more,educating teachers, medical professionals or the vampire studies?

Money spent on vampire/zombie studies would be better spent to fund courses that provide real measurable benefits to our society in general and not pissed away on useless courses on fictional beings in films and culture. Wasting money to fund
Quote "Even for those that do, it's nice to take a course that's unrelated to their studies that they may enjoy" instead of using it for providing funding for educating elementary students or say…healthcare, is wasteful and disgusting.

July 20, 2013, 2:19 p.m.

Fucking ridiculous.

this ^^^^

I think dot ca proves my point. GT, aren't you glad you're paying for this bullshit.

and this ^^^^^

July 20, 2013, 2:19 p.m.

It's not just watching Twilight (which I doubt they watch in the course), it's about understanding the movie. The plot, the cultural role of the movie, etc, etc. You know, a bit like what film critics do. Look at the impact Roger Ebert has had on society today…

I don't think I prove a point your making, because your view on things seems limited. I'm pursuing an education in something I'm interested in, and a thing I deem worthy. Something I think is culturally relevant and will be giving back to "society." Just cause I don't want to work in the oil field, be a miner, etc, etc doesn't mean that what I'm studying (art, cultural theory, etc) isn't worthy of an education and tax payer funds (you do know that artists pay taxes too…).

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?