Subsidised Post Secondary Education

July 20, 2013, 2:28 p.m.

Nothing wrong with the arts, the wife and I regularly attend improvisational theatre and support the arts. That said our education system is in crisis,schools are facing funding cutbacks, teachers are being laid off,and schools are crumbling. What benefits society more, teachers, medical professionals or the vampire studies?

Money spent on vampire/zombie studies would be better spent to fund courses that provide real measurable benefits to our society in general and not pissed away on useless courses on fictional beings in films and culture. Wasting money to fund
Quote "Even for those that do, it's nice to take a course that's unrelated to their studies that they may enjoy" instead of using it for providing funding for educating elementary students or say…healthcare, is wasteful and disgusting.

I'm going to disagree here. It's one course, it's not a huge deal. Again, this course is mainly for those who are studying in film studies/the arts. So those in the medical fields, or other probably don't even know such a course exists. You do also know that these courses aren't all that free either, and that tuition pays for it (which isn't cheap at all). The only reason why such a course offered is because people are interested in taking it as well. If students were not interested in this course, then it would not be offered.

I stand by that sentence I made about people enjoying the course even if it's not relevant to their major. Students can get burnt out if they just take a bunch of courses related to their major. There are reasons why there is such electives, so they can take a break studying what they are majoring in and learn about something else. I don't think these types of courses are a waste at all. I bet they don't even cost much in terms of the overall scheme of things and there is much more wasteful spending that the government does which could be cut back and used for education and healthcare…

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

July 20, 2013, 2:29 p.m.

How exactly do you justify funding bullshit like vampire studies when people are dying waiting for treatment?
Every cent wasted on this bullshit takes away from our betterment and healthcare…every cent.

Indefensable..

( subsidies for the energy industry and other government wastrelisms have to stop too )

July 20, 2013, 2:31 p.m.

I'm not here to add any relevant opinion. Just to mention how hard I laughed reading dot ca's defence of twilight learning.

Please tell me more about the cultural importance of garbage films for teen girls. Or do you need to take the course first?

July 20, 2013, 2:32 p.m.

Again, I'm just going to say that the course is geared towards those in film studies… Those who are studying about films, making films, etc, etc… (and they probably don't even watch Twilight in the class, it's more films such as Dracula)

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

July 20, 2013, 2:39 p.m.

I'm not here to add any relevant opinion. Just to mention how hard I laughed reading dot ca's defence of twilight learning.

Please tell me more about the cultural importance of garbage films for teen girls. Or do you need to take the course first?

^^^^^ well said sir, well said.

Why buy MRIs or have less students per classroom in elementary school when clearly we need to fund the study of fictional beings in our culture.

lololololololololo

July 20, 2013, 2:46 p.m.

I don't think such an issue is so simple as you try to make it out to be. I bet if you removed the course, it wouldn't help fund anything… The money wouldn't go into healthcare/elementary/high schools (if there even is much money to fund this course, besides what the students pay in their tuition). I don't find such a huge issue with one fucking course compared to a lot of bullshit we subsidize in this world (the entire oil industry for one).

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

July 20, 2013, 2:46 p.m.

so how much of your money is going to poor people studying vampires and university?

seriously this is pretty pathetic to get worked up that much over money spent on education.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 20, 2013, 3 p.m.

ARG I'm so fucking tired of the government spending money to fix potholes on roads i 'even drive on! /farmerino

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 20, 2013, 3:08 p.m.

seriously, who didn't take (or at least look at) a bird course when in uni/college…who fucking cares who does what with their electives…how can you get worked up over shit like that. there is even a website dedicated to it http://birdcourses.com/

July 20, 2013, 3:23 p.m.

Just going to interject with a piece of information that seems to be missing,

The "university/ school" gets a lump sum of money regardless of what they teach in order to subsidize the tuition rates. They get to decide the value of each course and set the tuition rates accordingly in order to cover the remainder of unsubsidized costs (it is a bit more complex then this but this is the general idea). So, because of this, a university must decide on how to bring in students (thats right… it is a business that needs customers). No students no class. Would you rather go to a school that looks and feels like the prison that SFU (just using the architecture as an example) is where you study all day long the same subject OR would you rather go to a school that has the same courses and same level of education as the prison but offers other classes and sports and events in order to break up the monotony of study study study. People learn better when they are having fun so it is in the best interest of schools to provide a well rounded education of life rather then just a specific topic. More life, more students. More students, a better level of education can be provided.

Your tax dollars do not subsidize zombie studies directly, they subsidize operating costs of the school.

Final thought (for now). All of you thinking that these classes are useless think of this. These classes appear to be an extension of English class. You know, the one where you study literature and art. By your logic English should be removed from curriculum. I hate to say it, but if you remove classes like this (english class) then you remove any understanding of diversity of culture within society. And that leads to a break down between cultures. Our Global economy would cease to exist. You cannot learn to understand subtly, or creativity without classes like english, or zombie, or vampire, or superhero.

Don't forget… While you sit there and bitch about paying for me to learn about the history of zombie movies, I might also be learning what it takes to replace you in your own job at a later date. And my quality of life will be better in the long run.

Beow Beow….. be be boew boew. boh boh. beow beow…… repeat:rave:

July 20, 2013, 3:45 p.m.

I do recall when I was working the rigs as a kid that most of us ( myself too ) used to get pretty thin money wise over break up.

And I have a question for ya xxxer, why do you seem so negative, do you have a problem with people that get an education or are successful through their own hard work? That is a question NOT an accusation so don't take it wrong.

what could my point possibly be, maybe that you are just throwing out "The figure" without adding up all the real costs and how it really turns out, is that the reason the time honored tradition is to make all that fucking money working 12hrs a day but not have enough $ to make it thru breakup?

To add up all the costs, to take into account what actualy happens in real life, to plan for the hard times IS how you become a financial sucess, the education or hard work will not actualy guaranty financial sucess cuz the world is full of people who simpley didn't hang on to all that money they made but yes I DO believe in financial success and may possibly be one … depending on yer POV

I don't make art/literature/music myself but I am a patron of the arts, I am supportive of arts even if I do not understand it and I maintain that the world is better for someone having made art, if you think its a waste just look around you tell me what product you can see right now that didn't use art in the making … a graphic designer had to design the label on this can of stella I am drinking

July 20, 2013, 3:48 p.m.

Thus has led some to suggest that post secondary education, which is already subsidised for most students, should be cheaper or free, because everyone needs a degree.

That's where you're wrong. Everyone doesn't need a degree, obviously proven by how many pukes sat down, learned some shit and hit the real world thinking they are the best ever in whatever chosen genre, only to be shown they aren't more than a petty barrista with a piece of paper that showed they learned something from a textbook.

Those with motivation will go far and make money, the other 95% will dick around, take useless courses and ultimately complain that there degree that cost them(or most likely their parents) money didn't do them anything(surprise surprise).

The typical Vancouver attitude is to think the world owes you something.

Clunking is for retards.

July 20, 2013, 5:50 p.m.

Random hero- I think we are agreeing with each other. What waste taxpayer money creating baristas who can analyze twilight?

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

July 20, 2013, 6:13 p.m.

Three pages an no KenN pontificating outrage?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

July 20, 2013, 7:55 p.m.

farmerino

Hahahahabahahahaha. That's fucking funny

9/10