Subsidised Post Secondary Education

July 20, 2013, 8:20 a.m.

According to an article in The Atlantic from April of last year, 53% of new college grads are unemployed or under employed. This suggests that a degree does not hold the same value as it once did. Now, this isn't to say that all degrees are equal when it comes to finding work. One would be hard pressed to find a petroleum engineer in North America graduating without a six figure job offer, but the number of people getting a degree like that vs the number of those at Emily Carr preparing to ask me if I would like fries with that outweighs the engineers hands down.

Thus has led some to suggest that post secondary education, which is already subsidised for most students, should be cheaper or free, because everyone needs a degree. What ug we went the opposite way. Make everyone pay the full cost. Rather than $8,000 a year, charge the full $25,000 or whatever it may be. This would lower the number of students, and force those who remain to work harder for their degree. They may start looking at whether or not that degree can pay for itself. You would hopefully see less parents paying the full cost for their pampered little baby to go party for 5 or 6 years and see more students take personal responsibility for their own future.

Those degrees that are actually worth something probably wouldn't be effected too much. I didn't apply for all the scholarships I could have, and my tuition for 4 years (2 of which I was paying non-resident tuition) only cost me $1500 out of pocket because the free market values a mining engineering degree enough to pay tens of thousands of dollars to put me through college.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

July 20, 2013, 8:37 a.m.

Are you actually raising a valid point or just telling us for the millionth time that you've got a high paying job as a mining engineer?

July 20, 2013, 8:38 a.m.

I think farmers proof that you can go to school to get your fancy piece of paper that says you're this smart, but still be dumb as fuck.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 20, 2013, 8:47 a.m.

Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rlNpWYQunY

July 20, 2013, 8:50 a.m.

So you're advocating that we only allow wealthy people to get post-secondary education? I'd go the other way, and offer free education to everyone who qualifies. Flunk out and be assessed the full cost of your education - a lifetime of poverty would be a hell of an incentive to study hard. In theory, that means competition to get in would be fierce, and that the best minds would be utilized.

It's likely wise to eliminate student's choice of what subjects to study. There are lots of mediocre engineers and doctors out there. We could probably use more plumbers, electricians and carpenters. Early aptitude testing could direct people toward the educational/career paths they're best suited for, and where they will theoretically have the most success.

Ride: Ibis Mojo HD
Club: CMBA
Talent: None
:beer::canada:

July 20, 2013, 9 a.m.

So you're advocating that we only allow wealthy people to get post-secondary education? I'd go the other way, and offer free education to everyone who qualifies. Flunk out and be assessed the full cost of your education - a lifetime of poverty would be a hell of an incentive to study hard. In theory, that means competition to get in would be fierce, and that the best minds would be utilized.

It's likely wise to eliminate student's choice of what subjects to study. There are lots of mediocre engineers and doctors out there. We could probably use more plumbers, electricians and carpenters. Early aptitude testing could direct people toward the educational/career paths they're best suited for, and where they will theoretically have the most success.

My only issue with free education is the sheer number of morons who cram a four year degree into seven yeas on their quest to "find themselves". I don't mind subsidizing a degree with my tax dollars, but watching 100 kids sign up for Vampire Studies at UVic and having that subsidized at the same rate as someone who is actually working their way through their education does kinda piss me off.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

July 20, 2013, 9:10 a.m.

yeah, who the hell wants an educated public anyway, what has that ever done for society?! f'ing freeloading sonsofbitches!

July 20, 2013, 9:21 a.m.

My only issue with free education is the sheer number of morons who cram a four year degree into seven yeas on their quest to "find themselves". I don't mind subsidizing a degree with my tax dollars, but watching 100 kids sign up for Vampire Studies at UVic and having that subsidized at the same rate as someone who is actually working their way through their education does kinda piss me off.

They have Vampire Studies as a real course? I can completely understand your level of annoyance.

Ride: Ibis Mojo HD
Club: CMBA
Talent: None
:beer::canada:

July 20, 2013, 9:22 a.m.

Golf Claps.

July 20, 2013, 9:23 a.m.

I'm sticking to the Gear Forum:coo:

Shed head!

July 20, 2013, 9:38 a.m.

I think farmers proof that you can go to school to get your fancy piece of paper that says you're this smart, but still be dumb as fuck.

Gold!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

July 20, 2013, 10:21 a.m.

One would be hard pressed to find a petroleum engineer in North America graduating without a six figure job offer

i don't think that's even close to the truth?

July 20, 2013, 10:24 a.m.

i don't think that's even close to the truth?

Sure is the case here…guys with two yr tech diplomas are doing better than 100K by a mile.

July 20, 2013, 10:47 a.m.

Sure is the case here…guys with two yr tech diplomas are doing better than 100K by a mile.

that could be the case, but i believe the original statement was for new graduates across north america.

source: i am a professional engineer in BC and a project engineer/manager for the largest mining company in BC, so i have an idea of junior salary breakdown.

plus, have a look at the APEGA 2012 salary survey: http://www.apega.ca/pdf/SalarySurvey/VPS2012.pdf
You'll see the average bases salaries are well, well below $100k for junior-intermediate positions in any specialty.

July 20, 2013, 11:41 a.m.

that could be the case, but i believe the original statement was for new graduates across north america.

source: i am a professional engineer in BC and a project engineer/manager for the largest mining company in BC, so i have an idea of junior salary breakdown.

plus, have a look at the APEGA 2012 salary survey: http://www.apega.ca/pdf/SalarySurvey/VPS2012.pdf
You'll see the average bases salaries are well, well below $100k for junior-intermediate positions in any specialty.

I quoted your comment on petroleum grads, and over 100K IS certainly the case around here. Roughnecks ( labourers ) make over 100K a yr easy. Engineers make way more, fot that matter Consultants make huge money with no degrees except graduating from the school of hard knocks.