Subaru Mechanic

Dec. 2, 2016, 8:16 a.m.

I have an ’07 Outback that I am planning on selling. Recently found out it is leaking oil from the head gasket (seems to be a not-so-uncommon occurrence on NA 2.5 subies). Anyone have a recommendation for a Subaru mechanic on the North Shore? Last thread I found was from 2006.

It’s a pretty big job that’s mostly labour. Another option I am considering is selling it as a project car. Think there may be people out there interested in buying it at a discount and making it a project to either keep or resell and make a few $$? Its pretty low mileage (127K) and in good shape otherwise.

Dec. 2, 2016, 8:32 a.m.

Bummer

First I would talk to Subaru and see if you can get it warrantied. Mine went at 150K
These gaskets are bullshit. Get pissy with them.

Have a 2008. Same deal, engine pull and redo is the answer.
Richard at RJD motors in North Van did mine. He is in Mexico until after xmas but did a great job. He has done many.

On the upside, you get your whole engine pulled, cooling system, rear seal, timing belt done at once. Besides a wheel bearing I have never had any other issues with the car.

Downside cost is 3K….

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Dec. 2, 2016, 8:58 a.m.

Hey Bikesnale …. shoot me a PM …might be interested in taking this off your hands as a "project".

:canada: :england:

Dec. 2, 2016, 9:10 a.m.

my buddy used to get all is service work done in Squamish on his WRX , said theres a killer mechanic up there .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 2, 2016, 9:15 a.m.

head gasket or valve cover gasket?

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 2, 2016, 9:25 a.m.

Just had the head gaskets done on my Legacy (same 2.5 engine, 118K) at Pawlik Automotive. $3400 including timing belt replacement.

I simply looked at craigslist and did the numbers. Selling as a project and buying something similar would have been more expensive, with the risk of running into the same issue again (all 2.5s get this issue at some point). Bummer about the $$$ but it should last for a good while now.

Dec. 2, 2016, 9:37 a.m.

Why buy another subaru? Theres plenty of pretty nice awd options out there these days that don't have known weaknesses like these motors.

Everyone loves subaru's, but your mechanic loves em most because he knows that after you spend $3k on new head gaskets you'll be back within 6 months needing another huge repair.

Dec. 2, 2016, 9:51 a.m.

Why buy another subaru? Theres plenty of pretty nice awd options out there these days that don't have known weaknesses like these motors.

Everyone loves subaru's, but your mechanic loves em most because he knows that after you spend $3k on new head gaskets you'll be back within 6 months needing another huge repair.

Sorry have to disagree

Have had my 08 since new and besides consumables. One wheel bearing.
Yeah the engine was a bummer but the car has been flawless. 220K and still going strong.
2002 Forester . 288K no issues had it 10 years.
Have watched friends pump huge cash into their Audi's, Volvo XC, New Ford escape- what a lemon.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Dec. 2, 2016, 10:36 a.m.

my buddy used to get all is service work done in Squamish on his WRX , said theres a killer mechanic up there .

That would be Pat at Rocket Rally Racing

:canada: :england:

Dec. 2, 2016, 11:51 a.m.

head gasket or valve cover gasket?

This^

Head gaskets don't normally leak oil. I could be wrong tho

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Dec. 2, 2016, 12:16 p.m.

That would be Pat at Rocket Rally Racing

I dont think Rocket does service work anymore.

Double check to make sure its not just the valve cover, ive seen a set on a running vehicle that you could wiggle with your hands.

Dec. 2, 2016, 12:29 p.m.

Head gaskets don't normally leak oil. I could be wrong tho

This is a known issue with the Subaru boxer engines, worse on some years/models than others. They generally last longer if the maintenance has been done by the book, but this is one of the only engines where a head gasket is considered a maintenance issue.

Bikesnale, may I suggest selling it and cutting your losses? Not much point in dumping $3-4K into a nearly 10 year old vehicle in order to sell it for $8K.

My 2002 Legacy is still doing well in the head gasket department at 195K, but it's getting to be time for me to sell it…

flickr

Dec. 2, 2016, 12:33 p.m.

Most NA Subie engines' head gaskets go around 140k-180k. Some don't, but most do. When the engine's cold if there's oil in the coolant you've got something going on.

I don't think Rocket Rally does service, but they might do a swap and wiring harness for you.

Pat Richard is a great guy to work with.

Dec. 2, 2016, 12:34 p.m.

I would field the question for mechanics to the guys on NASIOC.com

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Dec. 2, 2016, 12:45 p.m.

BTW Aldergrove Auto wrecking is and has always been into Subaru's

back in the day I had a rusty 14 yr old suby I didnt wana spend $$$ on so I bought an exhast system,front axle shaft and they even put them in real cheap