stupid unions

May 1, 2004, 8:11 a.m.

Originally posted by counterpoint
And gwhore - you keep going back to "get and education or a skill" shit. Easy for you - you're a young white male with probably parents with some coin. Not so easy for those trying to raise kids on minimum wage jobs trying to pay for that incredibly expensive education.

I imagine he is but he's probably also trolling. It's easy to talk smack when the condo's are selling as easy as pie. We'll talk to him again when the economy goes down and he's only selling a house every 3 months.

Blaine, I really don't know you but from what I've read on the boards for the last few years. I really don't think that you should talk about something until you really have been in the workforce for a few years and not in school. Honestly it sounds to me like you are afraid of work and to your admission are a professional student. Once you quit hiding at Uni come and talk to us.

May 1, 2004, 9:31 a.m.

Originally posted by flowrider
**I imagine he is but he's probably also trolling. It's easy to talk smack when the condo's are selling as easy as pie. We'll talk to him again when the economy goes down and he's only selling a house every 3 months.

1. element = :lol:

2. Actually this is a very tough market to be a realtor. with stuff selling so quick and very little inventory, it is hard to get a piece of the pie. but the perception from people like you is that realtors are getting rich hand over foot so you have alot of new realtors coming in and making the pieces of the pie even smaller.

when the market slows, it is not a bad thing, the bottom 25% or so of realtors will quit because there is not enough business, the middle 50% will keep on trucking and the top 25% won't even notice that things have slowed.

And even if the market was making me easy $$, does that disqualify me from having an opinion? i worked a union job, i have friends now that work union jobs, and i know a little bit about a littlebit

like my opinions or don't, but don't dismiss them as trolling, it is the way i feel

turn off sigs…it will change your life

May 1, 2004, 9:40 a.m.

Originally posted by Zedbra
**Well, I was referring that if people get mistreated in another sector or profession, such as realty, not ALL realtors get slacked. If one union member does something wrong, or one union is in the news - ALL unions are slacked. It's media driven narrow mindedness - and you play into it.

first off, realtors are seen as shady right from the get go because of a few slimy guys out there.

and second, if your realtor screws you over, you can fire your realtor and hire another one (or complete this transaction but don't use them next time)

if (and when because it happens alot) a union or union member screws people over, there is NOTHING a company can do… the union is forced upon a company.

i like how peter wall has said over and over that if the wall centre hotel goes union , he will shut it down, and people know he means it , so union reps don't even bother walking around and trying to recruit people into their "lazy cult"

the other one was the crowne plaza hotel's restaurant. it was losing money and when the union contract came due, all they wanted was a 3 year freeze on wages and they would not lay anyone off - union talked the members into voting no and the the restaurant owners simply shut the restaurant down :lol:

unions have too much power and not enough worth

May 1, 2004, 10:23 a.m.

Blaine, I really don't know you but from what I've read on the boards for the last few years. I really don't think that you should talk about something until you really have been in the workforce for a few years and not in school. Honestly it sounds to me like you are afraid of work and to your admission are a professional student. Once you quit hiding at Uni come and talk to us. **

i worked for 10 years in the oil patch and as a graphic artist/programmer. i was programming unix/c when i was 16. don't tell me i need to be in the work force. the only time in the last 20 years that i have not had a job was these last 2 that i just finished. a lot you know. i'm a year older than you so you know i've got a few years of work behind me.

May 1, 2004, 10:29 a.m.

Honestly it sounds to me like you are afraid of work

hey, if blaine really is afraid to work, maybe you can get him a union job? that way he can get a steady paycheck and only work when he feels like it. sure he'll have to go through the hassle of punching in and out his time card, but he'll manage

May 1, 2004, 3:12 p.m.

Originally posted by Zedbra
However, a Compassionate Capitalist is an oxymoron. I guess you can ask your boss how his 4 week vacation to Batswana was.

Botswana? :S

Not totally true about the capitalist. I've worked at a couple non-union companies that looked after their employees very well. One was a small company (10 employees when I started, 65 when I left), as well as a very large one (now 30,000 employees). Salaries were quite good, there were quarterly bonuses, and in the case of the large company there was very lucrative stock options. Both companies were very successful because of the way they treated their employees. Owners made a lot of money, as they rightfully should, and shareholders did well too.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 1, 2004, 4:15 p.m.

Rich People Hate Unions.

Buisness People Hate Unions.

My beloved mother (RIP), was working as a cafeteria worker, at richmond hospital. She made 19 dollars an hour because of the union. But what some of you dont understand, is my mother came from greece, to a city, where its expensive to buy a house. With 20 dollars an hour, she didn't even make enough money, to pay her morgage, pay the bills, feed us. Why should it be unfair, that people who come here from other countries, be living on the streets?

Unions offer job security. I understand that companies can't afford it. But thank god Superstore is unionized, it gives people with out an education, or younguns, fair wage increases over the years. (brother started when he was 16, he went from 8 dollars an hour to 20 dollars an hour, and hes a teacher :P)

PS. Gearwhore you have bad examples of companies that shut down because of unions. Not all jobs should be unionized, but why don't you talk about companies that are succesful, that have unions.

May 1, 2004, 4:32 p.m.

just thinking about how they will privatize certain jobs…

think they will privatize nuclear medicine departments?

May 1, 2004, 4:49 p.m.

i've had lots of job security and good pay with non-union jobs. job-security and pay should be based on performance, not your standing with the union and how long you've been a member. lol, fucking bc government is a bunch of pussies, ralph klein would eat BC unions for a snack. jesuz i hate unions so fucking much. i have family that are unionized workers and they hate unions as much as i do. sorry, but you people that have been brainwashed need to give your fucking heads a shake. the unions are killing our bc economy right now.

May 1, 2004, 4:54 p.m.

If you wanna get rid of unions and make everyone happy,

LOWER THE STANDERD OF LIVING.

why dont you try comparing buying a house in calgary and buying one here.

May 1, 2004, 5 p.m.

Originally posted by MajinHurricane
**If you wanna get rid of unions and make everyone happy,

LOWER THE STANDERD OF LIVING.

why dont you try comparing buying a house in calgary and buying one here. **

dude, one of the main reasons the standard of living is so high here is because unionized labour is sucking the economoy dry. its a vicious circle and i hope the government plays hardball. fucking fire everyone who strikes as far as i'm concerned. there are a lot of people out there who need jobs and are willing to work non-union. i have no sympathy whatsoever for the union's cause at this time.

May 1, 2004, 5:04 p.m.

they need jobs because the need to live, and living off welfare.

May 1, 2004, 5:20 p.m.

Originally posted by MajinHurricane
they need jobs because the need to live, and living off welfare.

:???:

shop smart, shop s-mart, mhm

May 1, 2004, 5:25 p.m.

yea i was just as confused by that statement. lol

May 1, 2004, 5:29 p.m.

buhahha

i ment, they need the jobs too live a life. But i dont know the situation of every canadian in bc. But the same people that get laid off or privatized will just go back to work, because thats all they can do.