Stupid news and stupid police

May 1, 2008, 1:10 p.m.

Since I started driving a ticket has gone from a simple 75 dollar fine, to 175 dollars plus points if you are over 4 points or whatever it is and yet they keep saying year after year that there are more speeders and speed related collisions.

that's almost as huge a jump as gas prices.
:lol:

Really though, it is nothing more than a thinly veiled tax grab.
I got my first ticket in 8 years a few months ago. I was caught doing 72 in a 60 zone. I have had a total of 3 tickets in my 17 years of driving, and was following the flow of traffic. They picked out the 2 vehicles in the right lane, myself, and the minivan behind me. It was nothing more than picking who to ticket, since our whole group was travelling between 70-75 kmh.

This is in rural Langley too.

:rolleyes:

I agree with much of what you said in your second post - but re-read your first and then talk to me about retorical bullshit.

I only used the term "performance based" because there are a lot of car on the market right now that have good handling, over 200hp, 4 wheel disc brakes, and a full array of safety equipment. These are cars like the new Honda Accord, or the Lexus IS. Average vehicles on the road today.

I didn't want to implicate the cars like the Echo, Yaris, Fit, etc. Those are simply commuter vehicles. What I consider as performance based, is nothing more than a fun car to drive.

It's not against the law to enjoy driving. Really, I love the S2S highway, and I don't even need to break triple digits to do so. The problem is, if I go 70kmh on some spots on the S2S, a speed that's not out of the ordinary for many of today's vehicles, I'm breaking the law.

It's almost silly now.

No need - and I agree. However, if we're going to go down the "better training" path - how much bitching and whining will occur when we tell people that they require a real Driver's training program (6mos-1yr) rather than the pablum we currently feed out?

*claps

As a lover of driving, and someone who takes his driving very seriously, I wholeheartedly concur.

I propose a system like Germany, where it costs thousands to get your license, and the testing includes skils like first aid, and accident avoidance.

In the driver's manual it focusses on how far from the curb you must park.

But it says nothing about what to do if a drunk comes into your lane.

May 1, 2008, 1:23 p.m.

*claps

As a lover of driving, and someone who takes his driving very seriously, I wholeheartedly concur.

I propose a system like Germany, where it costs thousands to get your license, and the testing includes skils like first aid, and accident avoidance.

In the driver's manual it focusses on how far from the curb you must park.

But it says nothing about what to do if a drunk comes into your lane.

It'll never happen. Even though it should.

North Americans think that driving is a right… it's something that you should just 'get to do' when you turn 16. No politician would have the balls to stand up and suggest what you suggest.

Even though owning and driving a car is statistically more lethal than owning a gun.

The graduated system was a step in the right direction - but they need to push it further. A very simple start would be to pull over any douchebag who has taken his green N and cut it out so that it's a black Z and barely legible - ask for his liscence/registration - then shred it on the spot, with an explanation that they can now start from Square frigging 1 in the system, their car is being impounded and they walk the fuck home…

OK - maybe I got off track there.

May 1, 2008, 1:28 p.m.

Can't wait til this guy pulls over Norman for speeding

May 2, 2008, 2:15 a.m.

Ive had my N for 7 years hahah. I can finaly get rid of it in september.

May 2, 2008, 2:36 a.m.

North Americans think that driving is a right… it's something that you should just 'get to do' when you turn 16. No politician would have the balls to stand up and suggest what you suggest.

Even though owning and driving a car is statistically more lethal than owning a gun.

Did you forget? We also think that wielding a gun is a right. ;)

May 2, 2008, 7:25 a.m.

Did you forget? We also think that wielding a gun is a right. ;)

That's working out pretty well for you. :)

May 2, 2008, 11:10 a.m.

zing!

May 2, 2008, 1:55 p.m.

Note the winking face at the end plz.

May 2, 2008, 11:44 p.m.

Maybe if it wasnt so damn easy to get a drivers lisence. Our low speed limits, while piss the hell out of me, are probably for the best. 50[HTML_REMOVED]#37; of drivers have no clue as it is, ad another 20kph to the mix and its asking for trouble… expecially on highways like s2s.

As for bikes… Im pretty sure almost half the people riding are uninsured. Just by riding on the highway or crossing the bridge on my bike I've violated my lisense.

May 3, 2008, 1:21 a.m.

Can't wait til this guy pulls over Norman for speeding

RESPECT MY AUTHORITAAAAAYYY!

May 3, 2008, 2 a.m.

Now if only they'd target a campeign like this against inattentive drivers.

Or inattentive posters :P (double post).

I would love to see the statistics on speeding "related" accidents when they
take out:
When alcohol was a factor
and
On the cell phone, putting on makeup, yelling at the kids

We have the highest alcohol related driving death rates in the US here in
Hawaii. I see no check points ever, yet I can't drive more than 3-4 hours without
getting zapped by radar.

I wouldn't blame the cops, it's just the politics of it all. It's all about the "perception"
of danger, not the actual danger itself. It's just like sharks, people worry about
sharks when they go swimming, but 600,000 are mauled by dogs every year
in the US, you have a 10X greater chance of dying from a coconut falling on
your head in Hawaii or better chance of being killed and consumed by a pig in
the US or a 2X better chance of dying in a deer related accident while-at-work
in the US than being bit by a shark in the US. YET we are more afraid of the
shark.

How can people get 3,4 or more DUI's? Shouldn't they be in jail? Heaven forbid
someone goes 65 in a 50 on a highway with no other cars. Nothing you can
do about it…throw the dice I guess.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

May 5, 2008, 11:15 a.m.

Well hibullet, you know what they need to do now?
Ban coconuts.

Really though, the perception of safety is exactly what it is.
Being one of the few lower mainlanders who has a set of snow tires, I'd like to see road checks in the winter looking for that. It would save ICBC millions in claims if people weren't sliding into each other while wearing summer rubber.

May 5, 2008, 11:28 a.m.

Or inattentive posters :P (double post).

We have the highest alcohol related driving death rates in the US here in
Hawaii. I see no check points ever, yet I can't drive more than 3-4 hours without
getting zapped by radar.

He begs to differ :P

May 5, 2008, 11:36 a.m.

^

well played man!

May 5, 2008, 4:47 p.m.

i dont feel like reading this thread but i will agree that cops are dumb (most of the time), when i was leaving a party the other week 6 cop cars cause my friend skipped out on a 20$ cab fare, SIX, and they nearly arrested me cause i look like him

fuck lmm

I like how he casually dropped the "I'm famous" bomb.
LMM, if I ever see you at Whistler, make sure Schne is close by to take a picture of me punching you in the balls.

i dont post anymore unless its a lmm thread
such a tool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonfrodomacfarlane/sets/