stuff that makes you happy

Aug. 10, 2016, 9:35 a.m.

Trick with that beauty surf kayak is to find some waves that aren't breaking over shallow granite rocks covered in barnacles! :o

Looks like fun epitomized enjoy! :)

Thanks I think my first time I'll probably be at McKenzie beach in Tofino to get a feel for it.then maybe off to chesterman
Usually paddle my squirt boat

for surfing so this will be very different

Aug. 10, 2016, 9:40 a.m.

100 M limit for what? All cetaceans?

Under the Canadian Marine Mammal Regulations the disturbance of whales is strictly prohibited. Summary convictions carry a fine of up to $100,000, a prison term not exceeding 12 months, or both. Indictable convictions carry fines up to $500,000, prison terms of up to 24 months, or both.

Under the US Marine Mammal Protection Act it is illegal to disturb or harass marine mammals. Penalties include a civil penalty of up to $10,000 for each violation or criminal prosecution with a fine of up to $20,000, or imprisonment for up to one year, or both.

Whales don't follow the rules.

If the whale approaches the boat, that's okay - operator must shut down motors and let the whale pass. Boat cannot approach a whale under its own power to a distance of less than 100 m. These two boats were on opposite sides of the whale and appear to both be within 100 m, so at least one must have approached too close. Applies to pretty much all marine mammals.

http://www.lifeforcefoundation.org/pdfs/wwg.pdf

Single vessel -[HTML_REMOVED] "You should not approach any whales, dolphins or porpoises within 100 metres/yards. In Marine Protected Areas, such as the Robson Bight Ecological Reserve boats are not allowed. Check nautical charts for the location of various protected areas.

More than one vessel -[HTML_REMOVED] In addition to the single vessel guidelines, avoid any position that would result in encircling the whale(s). When parallel stay in a line on one side.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 10, 2016, 9:41 a.m.

This thread makes me happy as well.

Anyone on here into Surfskis? I have a buddy that has been into it the last few years and is trying to sell me his Epic V8, but I am not sure how different the experience is from kayaking. I am going to go up to the SSC and try it in a few weeks.

Tippy very tippy . But fast as hell and gets you a good core workout.

Aug. 10, 2016, 10:38 a.m.

Tippy very tippy . But fast as hell and gets you a good core workout.

Well I could use a core work out so that is good I guess. I am told the V8 isn't that tippy compared to their more expensive models but I guess I will find out soon enough.

Aug. 10, 2016, 11:55 a.m.

Well I could use a core work out so that is good I guess. I am told the V8 isn't that tippy compared to their more expensive models but I guess I will find out soon enough.

I meant compared to most kayaks , waveskis are much more tippy:)

Aug. 10, 2016, 12:34 p.m.

Under the Canadian Marine Mammal Regulations the disturbance of whales is strictly prohibited. Summary convictions carry a fine of up to $100,000, a prison term not exceeding 12 months, or both. Indictable convictions carry fines up to $500,000, prison terms of up to 24 months, or both.

Under the US Marine Mammal Protection Act it is illegal to disturb or harass marine mammals. Penalties include a civil penalty of up to $10,000 for each violation or criminal prosecution with a fine of up to $20,000, or imprisonment for up to one year, or both.

If the whale approaches the boat, that's okay - operator must shut down motors and let the whale pass. Boat cannot approach a whale under its own power to a distance of less than 100 m. These two boats were on opposite sides of the whale and appear to both be within 100 m, so at least one must have approached too close. Applies to pretty much all marine mammals.

http://www.lifeforcefoundation.org/pdfs/wwg.pdf

Single vessel -[HTML_REMOVED] "You should not approach any whales, dolphins or porpoises within 100 metres/yards. In Marine Protected Areas, such as the Robson Bight Ecological Reserve boats are not allowed. Check nautical charts for the location of various protected areas.

More than one vessel -[HTML_REMOVED] In addition to the single vessel guidelines, avoid any position that would result in encircling the whale(s). When parallel stay in a line on one side.

So…harpooning. Is that frowned upon?

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 10, 2016, 1:57 p.m.

So…harpooning. Is that frowned upon?

If they're in the water, yes. Land whales, on the other hand …

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 11, 2016, 3:43 p.m.

"Goats of the Sea" is the correct zoological term. As coined by Sir David Attenburough, the ridiculously British narrator of nature films:

"Here we see a pod of magnificent whales, the goats of the sea, capsizing a boat to get at the tender pink humans cowering within."

Had no idea it was even a thing lol, corrected I suppose.

viperfunk.com

Aug. 14, 2016, 11:48 a.m.

with some of the talk if the Indian Arm trips i decided to go on a little adventure yesterday that resuklted in a few smiles.

more pics here:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?p=2923231#post2923231

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 26, 2016, 10:38 a.m.

I had to add this in: Dirt jumpers.

I've had a few over the years, but the geo of the new crop of dj's is something else. The steel Norco 125 I picked up is just happiness epitomized.

I take this bike out with my young kids around the neighborhood for daily romps, and we regularly visit the pump track when it's open. Everytime ridiculously happy. I've been searching for that elusive childhood BMX fun factor forever, and this bike really seems to have captured it.

The cost to fun ratio is unbeatable. It was like $450, and I've ridden it probably 5 days a week for 7 months now and been completely stoked everytime. Plus the kids get to share in the stoke. :D

Now I'm wondering about the mega stoke factor of a higher end DJ, like a NS Metropolis 1…

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Nov. 27, 2016, 8:32 p.m.

From 3:56 on…:woot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZP7qRyaNgs

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 28, 2016, 4:49 p.m.

Music, camping, bikes, fishing, good friends, good food, booze, drugs, warm house on a cold day, cool girls, although that is a dying breed these days.

Well, well I been movin' down to Florida.
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game.
Well I'm gonna cut off my leg down in Florida, child.
And I'm gonna dance one-legged off in the rain.

Nov. 28, 2016, 5:38 p.m.

5 pages, /\first mention of girls. What a bunch of bike nerds :lol:

https://nsmba.ca/product-category/memberships/

Nov. 28, 2016, 6:27 p.m.

We have the gas stove in the basement [HTML_REMOVED] it sure is nice. So good to come home to a warm house on a cold, miserable day.

Thread killer

Nov. 28, 2016, 6:28 p.m.

From 3:56 on…:woot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZP7qRyaNgs

This makes you happy?? Sicko