Stream Hockey with VLC Media Player

March 5, 2014, 4 p.m.

anyone having any luck streaming games these days? I find i have to go back to the ol' firstrowsports.eu for games now..all my vlc links are dead.

I'm ignoring Smedley.

April 18, 2014, 4:30 p.m.

The VLC fix for playoffs.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/237cg6/how_to_watch_every_game_live_during_the_playoffs/

April 18, 2014, 5:10 p.m.

Damn, those are good streams.

Anything similar for soccer?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 18, 2014, 10:17 p.m.

The VLC fix for playoffs.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/237cg6/how_to_watch_every_game_live_during_the_playoffs/

Thanks for that. I don't have cable and there is no NHL package for playoffs since all games are supposedly broadcast down here by NBC. Will try it out this weekend.

April 23, 2014, 9:39 p.m.

This stream works great. I paid for NHL center ice package online during the season, and this is even better quality I think. Seems to be the same service I bought but for playoffs, which isn't even available to purchase. Strange…

April 23, 2014, 10:50 p.m.

Yeah the quality rocks! Thanks Gurney.

Is this same quality available for other sports? Anyone know where/how?

April 23, 2014, 10:59 p.m.

As I understand it, they are the same streams you would get through Gamecenter.

It's hard to believe that the NHL's streaming provider lets it happen, or maybe they just don't care since all the games are on the networks anyway.

April 24, 2014, 9:33 a.m.

They are the exact same. Doesn't make sense to me these streams would even exist when Gamecenter isn't even offered for the playoffs.

April 24, 2014, 10:52 a.m.

It's hard to believe that the NHL's streaming provider lets it happen, or maybe they just don't care since all the games are on the networks anyway.

Oh, they do care, sort of. They applied numerous fixes throughout the season, but someone always figured out how to get around them. They use the same service as the NFL (NeuLion), and from what I understand the NFL paid to have the streams fully encrypted, where as the NHL does not (yet).

May 2, 2014, 7:01 p.m.

Cant get this to work on a Mac.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 14, 2014, 6:11 p.m.

Is this not working for anyone right now?

It was working for me all playoffs so far, up until now…

www.gnarwhale.com

May 14, 2014, 8:50 p.m.

Same here. Its been giving me an error message that the file type is not valid or something. Bummer…..

May 14, 2014, 10:47 p.m.

Me too. Hopefully it's back for the next round.

May 16, 2014, 6:36 p.m.

Hopefully they can find another fix soon. Its gonna get expensive if I have to watch these at my local brewery….

Update 14/05/2014: This no longer works. Neulion have changed the way the encryption keys are accessed. I don't have time to try and fix it for the next couple of days. If anyone has a fix though, I'll update my post.

A couple of months ago, Neulion started encrypting their HLS feeds that we use. The place that they stored the key requires either a special cookie to be set, or for the User Agent to be set to a specific value. Every User Agent we tried ended up blocked, so the only way to get the key was with the cookie.
Fortunately there was a workaround where you could work out what the cookie should be by requesting it at another URL, and then using it for the key (that's what the FuckNeulion jar was doing - making sure it had the cookie before asking for the key).
Unfortunately, that no longer works, and they've now switched to the same system they've been using for the AHL for a while now.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/22waie/improved_vlc_script_shows_game_start_time_in_your/

May 19, 2014, 5:35 p.m.

Google search pulled up another free stream linked to from some christian site of all places. No popup ads and quality is meh, but its free. Seems ok.

http://www.vipboxus.co/sports/ice-hockey.html

Edit… Primary Flash Stream 1 (and adblock)