straight razors

April 25, 2014, 8:27 a.m.

Does anyone here use a straight razor?

If so any recommendations on where to buy the best ones?

Is it tough to get the hang of?
Is it a lot more uncomfortable?
Does it take longer to shave?

I hate swapping cartridge blades all the time and would love to have something I could use for the rest of my life if well cared for.

www.natooke.com

April 25, 2014, 8:44 a.m.

To buy, you probably won't find much better than this:

http://www.classicedge.ca/

Straights running from about $150 to over $500, plus kits that include the strop and cup.

I've never owned, but when I lived in Ont., the barber I usually went to used a straight for shaving that fuzz off the back of my neck, rather than an electric. Always made me nervous as hell but he never slipped once. Definitely gave a closer shave than the usual methods, but I suppose it's one's own judgement whether worth it.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

April 25, 2014, 9:15 a.m.

I hate swapping cartridge blades all the time and would love to have something I could use for the rest of my life if well cared for.

Grow a wild-man beard. Oppressive societal "norms" which insist - that to be accepted, you regularly scrape your face with a piece of metal to remove hair - must be resisted! Its China all over again, just more subtle (or is that "stubble"?).

April 25, 2014, 9:15 a.m.

I went for a straight shave once. It was good, I guess. Would I do it to myself as a daily routine, no.

Since it is your own razor a solid blade is possible. At a barber they should be using a replaceable razor blade.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 25, 2014, 9:20 a.m.

At a barber they should be using a replaceable razor blade.

The leather belt works fine for sterilization … not!

April 25, 2014, 9:24 a.m.

I use a safety razor. This is a good stepping stone to a straight blade if that's where you want to go. Blades are dirt cheap, and last forever. Get a good brush (badger hair), and some highend soap or cream and you'll be laughing. I used a $5 synthetic brush for a couple of years, and it works, but no where near as good.

April 25, 2014, 9:28 a.m.

The leather belt works fine for sterilization … not!

I believe the belt is for dressing the blade edge…

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 25, 2014, 10:02 a.m.

I got a straight razor shave when I was travelling in Guatamala, best shave of my life - not a single stubble dared show itself for 2-3 days whereas usually I'm due after less than 24hrs. Took quite a while and I can't see myself doing it myself on a day to day basis, especially not first thing in the morning..one little slip and that would be it!

I had a beard for..4 or 5 years or something like that, nothing more liberating than not shaving in the morning BUT when hipsters started getting beard implants and beards become oh-so-trendy I started shaving. Last thing I want is to be mistaken for a hipster!

April 25, 2014, 10:23 a.m.

Does anyone here use a straight razor?

If so any recommendations on where to buy the best ones?

Is it tough to get the hang of?
Is it a lot more uncomfortable?
Does it take longer to shave?

I have a Dovo razor that I really like. It's not too tough to get the hang of it, and I find I get less razor burn than I do with a multi blade Gilette or whatever.

From start to finish it does take longer to shave, yes. I find I end up only using it once a week or less these days as the prep time is long, not so much the actual shaving. Adding to the overall maintenance, stropping only straightens the edge, but eventually you'll have to get it sharpened or buy a whetstone and do it yourself.

I've since picked up an awesome vintage safety razor, and if I was to go back and do it again, I wouldn't bother with the straight razor. Blades are cheap and the shave is every bit as good and close, and faster from start to finish.

The straight razor is still fun, but it's more about taking time and enjoying the ritual of shaving. If you need to quickly scrape your face before dashing off to work? Not so much…

Ride, don't slide.

April 25, 2014, 10:27 a.m.

Anyone else "dry shave"? If I have like 24 hours of growth (I'm a hairy mofo), I can get by with a dry shave. Just razorblade, no soap or water. Takes about 10 seconds so I don't look like George Michaels.

And since the metrosexuals at "AskMen.com" are against it, I assume its all cool.

http://ca.askmen.com/grooming/appearance/top-10-habits-that-ruin-your-appearance_8.html

I'm surprised they forgot to mention moisturizers, skin softeners and exfoliating creams in the article.

April 25, 2014, 10:35 a.m.

I use a safety razor. This is a good stepping stone to a straight blade if that's where you want to go. Blades are dirt cheap, and last forever. Get a good brush (badger hair), and some highend soap or cream and you'll be laughing. I used a $5 synthetic brush for a couple of years, and it works, but no where near as good.

I'll second this. Great shave, less hassle than a straight. Invest in a nice brush and it'll last a long, long time. Don't cheap out on shave cream either, it's expensive to buy but a little goes a long way and it lasts forever.

the teh

April 25, 2014, 12:17 p.m.

And since the metrosexuals at "AskMen.com" are against it, I assume its all cool.

http://ca.askmen.com/grooming/appearance/top-10-habits-that-ruin-your-appearance_8.html

I'm surprised they forgot to mention moisturizers, skin softeners and exfoliating creams in the article.

And this is why I stopped going to AskMen.com years ago…

April 25, 2014, 12:19 p.m.

You can also extend the life of your modern razors by sharpening them on leather or jeans etc.

Looks a bit silly but worth a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2pvzsnewkA

April 25, 2014, 12:59 p.m.

I know it's not what you're looking for, but I finally dropped my electric shaver for a safety razor at the beginning of the year. Still working on my technique, but damn, do I feel like a badass after a shave. Yellow feathers are where it's at. From what I've read, I just don't have the confidence/time to use a straight razor

April 25, 2014, 1:29 p.m.

When I was looking into this I found teh subreddit www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge was pretty good. Lots of advice on both safety razors and straight edges.

Decided to try to grow a beard instead, may look back into it for the summer though. And yea spending more on shaving cream makes a huge difference IMHO.