Stone cutting particulate/dust

Aug. 4, 2021, 6:32 p.m.

Anyone know what Vans by-law is regarding this. Dude working next door is just blowing it w/a big fan out towards the ally but of course as wind changes it swirls all over and settles everywhere.

That allowed? Dude has water on the wheel but not effective maybe just doesn't want to wear a mask?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Aug. 4, 2021, 7:24 p.m.

Because the dude is using a fan you'd probably have a case with the bylaw people that he is creating unnecessary airborne dust which is a safety hazard. If the dust is bothering you you could always ask him if he can cut out the use of the fan. Maybe offer him a ham sandwich to break the ice. If he gives you grief call 311 and tell them you have a hazardous materials concern about a messy building site.

Aug. 4, 2021, 9:42 p.m.

If you want to use the big hammer, call WorkSafe BC.  They (rightly) treat silicosis seriously.

Aug. 4, 2021, 10:12 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

If you want to use the big hammer, call WorkSafe BC.  They (rightly) treat silicosis seriously.

Good point about WS but I don't think they can shut down a worksite if it's a homeowner doing their own work. The city at least can put the brakes on things if it's an excessive nuisance to neighbours.

Aug. 4, 2021, 11:25 p.m.

No, this guy is a worker for some outfit based in Newton.

So neighbour and I spent time tonight tarping off section of walkway dude will be cutting/fitting stones tomorrow. Top is stapled on one side to fence between us the other side to neighbours garage and draped over some bushes with a couple tarps set up at either end to try and contain dust. Which it will to a degree far better than today but I was told worker had set up fan to keep "cool". Dude turns it on tomorrow we're gonna' have to have a little chat.

Fuck. Hope neighbour has forsight to tell contractor his worker will need a mask tomorrow. If history is any kinda' metric though....meh.

syncro, you got a special sauce you can recommend to dude for that hammy sammy?

Last edited by: tungsten on Aug. 4, 2021, 11:41 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
Aug. 5, 2021, 4:27 a.m.

He should have a second set of hands and use a shop vac to collect the dust directly from the saw.

Aug. 5, 2021, 8:44 a.m.

I work with concrete drilling regularly. Dust collection is important. This is a legit issue beyond a little mess.

Aug. 5, 2021, 8:50 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Blue Top Street Sauce

Aug. 7, 2021, 4:20 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

It's more of a gravy