Stanley Cup rioter gets 17 months

Feb. 16, 2012, 7:04 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/02/16/bc-riot-sentence-dickinson.html?cmp=rss

Ryan Dickinson has become first person to be sentenced in Vancouver's 2011 Stanley Cup riot, getting 17 months for throwing a newspaper box onto a police car windshield and smashing a store window.

The sentence was handed down Thursday in Vancouver.

Crown prosecutors had asked the court for a sentence as long as 18 months because Dickinson, who was 20 at the time of the incident, was on bail in connection with an assault charge at the time of the riot on June 15, 2011.

Dickinson's lawyer had asked for a sentence of one year.

The sentence for his involvement in the riot was 16 months and B.C. provincial court Judge Malcolm MacLean added one more month for the breach of bail conditions.

Dickinson was given 3.5 months credit for his time in pretrial custody.

In passing the sentence, MacLean said Dickinson was not alone in wrecking unmarked police cars, but he was one of the leaders and may have spurred others.

Dickinson’s lawyer had said in a pre-sentence hearing that Dickinson had got "caught up in the moment" during the riot.

But Maclean said Thursday that evidence did not show Dickinson got caught up in a momentary lapse of judgment and that his actions were conscious and deliberate.

Dickinson had choices and had a chance to walk away many times, but did not, MacLean said.

Vancouver police Chief Constable Jim Chu said he was satisfied with the outcome.

"The sentence that was handed down today is a victory for the victims and citizens of Vancouver," Chu told a news conference Thursday afternoon.

Dickinson, of Coquitlam, B.C., pleaded guilty in January to taking part in the riot that swept through downtown Vancouver after the seventh game of the Stanley Cup finals, which the Canucks lost to the Boston Bruins.

To date, a total of 350 charges have been recommended against 125 accused. The Crown has approved 141 criminal charges against 52 of the suspected rioters.

Feb. 16, 2012, 7:08 p.m.

good. let this set the bar for more justice to come

Feb. 16, 2012, 7:10 p.m.

People who say "17 months is a stiff sentence" are oblivious to the fact that he was out on bail awaiting charges for assault while rioting. What would the sentence have been if he had no prior criminal record or had not been on probation? This guy will be in and out of the so-called "criminal justice system" for the rest of his life. They might as well just slam the door on his cell and never let him out

Feb. 16, 2012, 7:21 p.m.

Finally the courts do something right!

Feb. 16, 2012, 7:30 p.m.

Probably shouldn't throw a newspaper box through a cop car window when you're on probation for assault.

…actually you should probably avoid doing that in any case

Feb. 16, 2012, 8:20 p.m.

Probably shouldn't throw a newspaper box through a cop car window when you're on probation for assault.

…actually you should probably avoid doing that in any case

There's alot of things one shouldn't do on probation. I suspect that other then alot of lip service for good election sound bites. There is not alot of $$ spent on monitoring these guys.

Looked at the local paper and it was the court report. First entry was a sex offender who failed to report to his parole officer and was in a place his probation forbid… $400 fine.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 16, 2012, 9:10 p.m.

This guy will be in and out of the so-called "criminal justice system" for the rest of his life. They might as well just slam the door on his cell and never let him out

ya fuck rehabilitation!

Feb. 16, 2012, 9:40 p.m.

rehab is for quitters

Feb. 16, 2012, 9:52 p.m.

ya fuck rehabilitation!

Apparently the guy was complaining that he's been unemployed lately on account of being in jail. Study after study has conclusively demonstrated you can't rehabilitate stupid.

Feb. 16, 2012, 9:57 p.m.

A buddy of mine knows that kid….haha

Check out my Buy/Sell items on Pinkbike: http://truvativ21.pinkbike.com/buysell/

Feb. 16, 2012, 11:08 p.m.

A buddy of mine knows that kid….haha

Autographed mugshot?!

Feb. 17, 2012, 3:41 a.m.

I wish I could repz that judge.

Be interesting to see how many more people get charged/convicted.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Feb. 17, 2012, 7:20 a.m.

I will be pretty happy if most of them get a criminal record and time served. In the end sending them to prison is just going to cost us more money. For most of them having a criminal record is going to cost them for the rest of their lives.

Feb. 17, 2012, 12:53 p.m.

50 bucks says this will be the stiffest sentence laid down.

Feb. 17, 2012, 12:57 p.m.

Apparently the guy was complaining that he's been unemployed lately on account of being in jail. Study after study has conclusively demonstrated you can't rehabilitate stupid.

Link to some of these 'studies' that say rehabilitation is never effective?