Squamish to Vancouver, Anyone commute every day?

Oct. 4, 2014, 1:38 p.m.

And Zed works from home quite often. Next time you're stuck in traffic,check his FB,he'll probably be out riding with his kids or having a "meeting" on the golf course.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 4, 2014, 3:42 p.m.

my Dad lived in Brackendale for many yrs and commuted to Vancouver and then NV for many yrs he put over 400,000km commuting the old highway , i commute from east Maple Ridge to Yarrow for work and if i did not work a 4 day week i would not do it, it makes for long days , the days i work i,m on the road before 6am and do not get home till 6:30ish .

i have family who live and work in Squamish but they are self employed and rent basement suits as house prices are fairly high for a single income .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 4, 2014, 5:33 p.m.

Those are important meetings, I might add.

Oct. 4, 2014, 5:41 p.m.

When I hit the lights right in the morning it's only 11 minutes clear across nam, on the way home it's 23 minutes. (who builds a by pass with traffic lights, honestly?)

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 6, 2014, 2:31 p.m.

These city slickers are right - so stay in the smog hell you call home, let us poor poor rural rednecks wonder what the 'big city' looks and smells like from afar. As I drive in, over looking the sunrise on the calm ocean while traveling at 100kph, make sure you enjoy sucking that exhaust from the car stopped in front of you and rejoice that you don't need to be amognst the hicks up north.

why so defensive?

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Oct. 10, 2014, 8:02 a.m.

Just finished my first week of commuting from granville/broadway area to squamish.
It is not as bad as I originally though. Without traffic it takes me a little under an hour and the drive is really nice. Although if I get caught in rush hour on the lions gate and downtown, I can add easily 1/2hr-1hr to the trip. I am thinking I ll try to pull 10hr day like 8am to 6pm when I go to the office and work from home one or two days a week and it should be more than manageable.
The only really big thing left is going to be the gas bill. I got an Xterra supercharger gas guzzler and at 15L/100km of premium gas, I am looking at almost 150$/week just on gas… Ouch…

I m not sure what I can do to ease the pain

1. I want to keep a 4X4 worthy vehicle able to pull a trailer. I could buy a new Xterra or a small pick up truck, but I am not sure the added investment would be worth the savings.

2. Get a second car like a jetta or golf TDI, but between the cost of a second insurance and the depreciation of the car I am not sure again the added investment would be worth the savings.

3. Get a drz-400 motorbike :D Sounds sweet but GF says that I am going to kill myself ripping the highway, and knowing me, she might be right….

Any though?

Oct. 10, 2014, 8:04 a.m.

I would get a cheap beater, like a Civic or Corolla. Cheap gas, cheap to repair and you won't feel bad putting miles on your cheap car.

Oct. 10, 2014, 8:21 a.m.

Any electric car with [HTML_REMOVED] 100 km range will do. Charge at each end, since you're working the full shift, that'll be more than enough time to recharge while working.

BMW i3 would work perfectly, and be a nice ride. But Chevy Spark, Ford Focus electric, Nissan Leaf would all be capable. Merc B and VW golf electric will do the job also, when available in Canada. All except the Merc and the BMW in the sub $40k range.

Your fuel costs will be next to nothing, so given the distances you're driving daily, the higher price for an EV will be very quickly offset by fuel savings.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 10, 2014, 8:36 a.m.

Move to Squamish? Looks like you've got the worst of both worlds going on at the moment.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 10, 2014, 8:54 a.m.

I just got a job in Squamish and I m going to jump on the commute bandwagon the other way.
My gf and I lives in the broadway/granville area.
My girl loves our apartment and her job downtown. She commutes the bridge by foot every day in 20mn. So she is not too keen on leaving to Squamish as of now.
I am really puzzled on how it s going to turn out.
Getting a room in squamish? Getting a second car since my Xterra is a gas guzzler? Try to work the 4x10 or perhaps convince my boss that I can work from home.
I hope to convince the GF to move to squamish one day. That would be sweet.

Move to Squamish? Looks like you've got the worst of both worlds going on at the moment.

Maybe read more of the thread history?

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Oct. 10, 2014, 9:10 a.m.

Aaaah. Yes.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 10, 2014, 9:36 a.m.

i,d buy something cheaper on gas i was spending over a $100 per week just to drive to work and back with my Dakota , i just down sized to a older 4cyl Tacoma and get the same travel distance with 20/25L less fuel usage . IMO a little Fiat 500 or one of those micro cars from Nissan or the likes would be a great commuter

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 10, 2014, 10:50 a.m.

Cabs used to be old police cars or some other POS converted to NG but nowdays almost every cab in vancover is a Prius

Oct. 10, 2014, 11:22 a.m.

^^^^^^i think some of the reasoning with LNG conversions to the big blocks was extended engine life/mileage as well. I dont know how the hybrids hold up under extreme mileage use. Chances are they just flog em before they get as hi as the older LNG V8 conversions.

WTF, Over?

Oct. 10, 2014, 11:24 a.m.

The only really big thing left is going to be the gas bill. I got an Xterra supercharger gas guzzler and at 15L/100km of premium gas, I am looking at almost 150$/week just on gas… Ouch…

Any though?

Carpooling? I know someone who carpools from Brackendale to Vancouver (City Hall area) daily and has been doing it for awhile so it must work decently. Not sure on the details though. I think they trade who drives? Not sure if its a service to sign up to or if its simply finding other people privately: I can ask if you'd like more info.

Also additional consideration that could tip the scales towards carpooling: the # of days you drive and the total weekly distance could affect your insurance premium: there doesn't seem to be details on ICBC's website (you need to the details from broker), but there are many "sub" rate classes within the commuting rate class based on distance driven [HTML_REMOVED] frequency. If as part of a carpool, you only drove 1x/week, you could fall within the "pleasure" class that allows up to 6 days/month of commuting to work.

:canada: :czech: