Squamish to Vancouver, Anyone commute every day?

Feb. 26, 2013, 7:27 p.m.

I've been commuting/carpooling 4days a week for a while now. It's stupid.

I've calculated that 10hrs of commuting a week 46weeks a year @40/hr , distance at $0.50 a km.

Works out to over $20k/yr after tax… That is silly.

If all goes well my new commute will be 3km of paths/trails and be for more money. Win win win. They also have a wake boat at he office, and can ride out my door.

Wife is still closer though. Think she's under a km to her office.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Feb. 26, 2013, 8:20 p.m.

Get a diesel Jetta and enjoy 45mpg…

I thought the mileage was a lot more than that?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 26, 2013, 8:45 p.m.

From where to where?

It's stupid if you don't love where you live and at least somewhat like your job. But then it kinda sucks just getting out of bed.

Feb. 26, 2013, 9:54 p.m.

I've calculated that 10hrs of commuting a week 46weeks a year @40/hr , distance at $0.50 a km.

Works out to over $20k/yr after tax… That is silly.

Ya, going to the office is not the same as work. Considering your off time worth $40 per hour, you better open an office in your house and watch the cash burst open the doors. And $0.50 per km is really expensive, not even close to the national average corporations pay - hell, I make money from what my company pays me for mileage

Depends how you drive. ;) I like big boost, and I cannot lie.

New diesel Jettas give better mileage with the average driver - you bet.

It's stupid if you don't love where you live and at least somewhat like your job.

Typical Squamish attitude - and having to ask to a typical wanna be city slicker that can't make $40 per hour and afford to live in the actual city.

Feb. 26, 2013, 10:29 p.m.

Ya, going to the office is not the same as work. Considering your off time worth $40 per hour, you better open an office in your house and watch the cash burst open the doors. And $0.50 per km is really expensive, not even close to the national average corporations pay - hell, I make money from what my company pays me for mileage

i actually get paid $0.52, but only really have to drive to the airport.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Feb. 26, 2013, 10:50 p.m.

Is this a little dick, I drive a Corvette thing? Good for you.

Feb. 27, 2013, 4:32 a.m.

The drive is a breeze. Most people spend longer in there cars driving shorter distances - and they have that bloody bumper to bumper to deal with. Takes me just over an hour to get to my office in Coquitlam and it takes two people the same amount of time to get here from Pt Moody on an average day. Thing is, I am moving and have the sun rising over the ocean - awesome commute.

Get a diesel Jetta and enjoy 45mpg and laugh at the #1 Hwy parking lot.

Teh sun rises over the ocean now?

My things have changed since I left!

Squamish is a great town with great people. No doubt about that.

Real estate is overvalued but seems to be correcting itself. If any of you are looking to move there, look at Brackendale. Dont fall for the "its 10 minutes further from Vancouver" bs.

10 minutes further away is a good thing.

The only downsides to Squish are that the upsides are also attracting the vancouver douchebags that cant afford kits or Lynn Valley and want to gentrify the whole town (eg. Get rid of the logging trucks ermagerd!!), Sunday afternoon whistler traffic and the rain.

Oh, and city council and the mayor are a bunch of dumbasses…yes, you too Brian.

But you never know, you may see me back there again some day.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 27, 2013, 8:08 a.m.

I don't get paid mileage, so the 20G's a year sounds harsh, but I'm. Looking at saving about 10G's peryear on accomodation rental in first year and getting from NV isn't free either….can't fit or secure 4 bikes and two motos in a Lower Londsdale condo parking facility so we'd be driving from Lynn Valley or Dollarton or something….that must still cost about 50% as much or so as the highway commute from Squamish..right?

Feb. 27, 2013, 10:12 a.m.

The only downsides to Squish are that the upsides are also attracting the vancouver douchebags that cant afford kits or Lynn Valley and want to gentrify the whole town (eg. Get rid of the logging trucks ermagerd!!), Sunday afternoon whistler traffic and the rain.

I already have a road nemesis in a Black X3 that after a mere month and a half has cut me off three times and tailgated me about the same.

Feb. 27, 2013, 11:12 a.m.

If your company is using the Canadian Government rate, it looks like they are 2 years behind. (should be $0.54 for 2013)
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/pyrll/bnfts/tmbl/llwnc/rts-eng.html

Feb. 27, 2013, 1:21 p.m.

I don't get paid mileage, so the 20G's a year sounds harsh, but I'm. Looking at saving about 10G's peryear on accomodation rental in first year and getting from NV isn't free either….can't fit or secure 4 bikes and two motos in a Lower Londsdale condo parking facility so we'd be driving from Lynn Valley or Dollarton or something….that must still cost about 50% as much or so as the highway commute from Squamish..right?

20g's is not realistic. Counting your commute time at $40 per hour is not what the average person does. Trades people, perhaps.

I pay about $400 per month for gas. Add repairs and tires and I'm easily under $6k per year. Either way, you will still have some of these expenses.

Feb. 27, 2013, 2:02 p.m.

most of the claims you see on the internet of ridiculously high mileage turbo diesel VWs are in imperial gallons…

1 US gallon = 3.785L
1 imperial gallon = 4.546L

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Feb. 27, 2013, 2:21 p.m.

I pay about $400 per month for gas. Add repairs and tires and I'm easily under $6k per year. Either way, you will still have some of these expenses.

I work from home and I spend about $150 a month on gas in the winter and about $300 in the summer. My truck is depreciating and my tires are wearing out. So yes, you will have some of these expenses regardless. I also don't get paid for every hour I'm not sitting in my truck, so time behind the wheel is not earnings out of pocket.

Do people say they spend $14600 a year doing the dishes/laundry/showering/shaving? If I can figure out how to get paid browsing an MTB forum, I'd be rich.

If I didn't work from home, and I had to drive an hour instead of half an hour, I'd think of it this way… I'm working an hour of very easy boss free overtime, with my choice of tunes at whatever volume I choose, with no interuptions, driving like I'm in a slow motion rally on one of the coolest roads in the world, so that I can ride more, ski more, have a nicer house, nicer neighbours, spend less time in traffic on my weekends, spend more time with a bunch of like-minded people in a place that makes me feel little to no stress ever. Ask your boss for deal like that and see what you get, after tax.

Feb. 27, 2013, 2:30 p.m.

^ exactly. I get a $500 per month car allowance plus an additional $0.30 per kilometre - so the commute actually makes me money with my TDI. Play some tunes, go with the flow, and enjoy the weekends even more.

Feb. 27, 2013, 2:41 p.m.

Thing is, I am moving and have the sun rising over the ocean - awesome commute.

?Que?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.