Squamish to Vancouver, Anyone commute every day?

Oct. 4, 2014, 7:10 a.m.

This voice has to be heard too:

I just moved (a year ago ish) from butfuck nowhere to Calgary. We wound up buying a duplex that allows me to commute in less than 20 minutes in traffic, and about 5 without. When my wife pops, I can go home for lunch with her and the tot, and be home for 2 extra hours every day that I wouldn't have been otherwise.

Mountainbikes are sweet and all, but that time is some I'll never get back and it's a priority right now - I might have to become a lycra wearing roadie for a bit or something, because I miss 2 wheels, but man, I've never had a short commute and I love it.

Oct. 4, 2014, 7:36 a.m.

No wonder people are wanting moar pipelines. 2 hours a day driving to work and back…..

As much as I'd like to live in Squamish, I prefer a 5 minute walk to work and the trails are only 15 minutes away (East Van).

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 4, 2014, 8 a.m.

Lol city folk.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 4, 2014, 8:20 a.m.

I just moved (a year ago ish) from butfuck nowhere to Calgary. We wound up buying a duplex that allows me to commute in less than 20 minutes in traffic, and about 5 without. When my wife pops, I can go home for lunch with her and the tot, and be home for 2 extra hours every day that I wouldn't have been otherwise.

Mountainbikes are sweet and all, but that time is some I'll never get back and it's a priority right now - I might have to become a lycra wearing roadie for a bit or something, because I miss 2 wheels, but man, I've never had a short commute and I love it.

This guy gets it.

If you haven't had a short commute, try it. Totally mind altering, the stress free environment makes life much more enjoyable.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

Oct. 4, 2014, 8:20 a.m.

Lol city folk.

But if you are spending 8+hours at work in the city, and 2hrs or so driving there and back, that ain't very rural ;-)

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 4, 2014, 8:54 a.m.

These city slickers are right - so stay in the smog hell you call home, let us poor poor rural rednecks wonder what the 'big city' looks and smells like from afar. As I drive in, over looking the sunrise on the calm ocean while traveling at 100kph, make sure you enjoy sucking that exhaust from the car stopped in front of you and rejoice that you don't need to be amognst the hicks up north.

Oct. 4, 2014, 9:12 a.m.

These city slickers are right - so stay in the smog hell you call home, let us poor poor rural rednecks wonder what the 'big city' looks and smells like from afar. As I drive in, over looking the sunrise on the calm ocean while traveling at 100kph, make sure you enjoy sucking that exhaust from the car stopped in front of you and rejoice that you don't need to be amognst the hicks up north.

/thread.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 4, 2014, 9:13 a.m.

But if you are spending 8+hours at work in the city, and 2hrs or so driving there and back, that ain't very rural ;-)

It's about 3 minutes to my shop and 4 minutes to the trails.

Don't stop believing.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 4, 2014, 9:16 a.m.

And by driving 2 hours, you are adding to the pollution and destroying our resources. Thanks ;)

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 4, 2014, 9:20 a.m.

And by driving 2 hours, you are adding to the pollution and destroying our resources. Thanks ;)

A little diesel idling in stop and go traffic emits approx 6x NoX as one cruising at operating temperature and fixed throttle speed.

-what else ya got?

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 4, 2014, 9:24 a.m.

A little diesel idling in stop and go traffic emits approx 6x NoX as one cruising at operating temperature and fixed throttle speed.

-what else ya got?

I've got work to do :D Nice walk in though. Did have to wait a few seconds at one light.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 4, 2014, 1:03 p.m.

I've got work to do :D Nice walk in though. Did have to wait a few seconds at one light.

That's nice. It must give you lots of time to work in your garden or play in the yard with your kids on the weekend,if you're not working.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 4, 2014, 1:13 p.m.

On the flipside to this,living out of the lower mainland has little to do with access to trails and more to do with lifestyle. We don't all work in an office and hang out in martini bars at night. Some of us want a little room with fresh air to breath,to have a yard,garden and animals and most importantly,the peace of being able to let our kids ride their bikes and explore in saftey and without constant supervision.

What works for me may not work for you,and that's OK. We don't need to be convinced that one is better than the other (although one is),rather this is a discussion about people's experience of living out of town.

Sure I've poked fun a bit,but if you're thinking about trying it,rent a place for a year and see how it goes.

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 4, 2014, 1:23 p.m.

Ha, I'm not. I'd probably commute to NV, but commuting into the city is insane IMHO. I'd much rather live AND work out of the city to be honest.

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 4, 2014, 1:32 p.m.

This guy gets it.

If you haven't had a short commute, try it. Totally mind altering, the stress free environment makes life much more enjoyable.

It's definitely a lot better. I loved being 5 minutes from work.

But if I had to commute I'd definitely take Zedbra's Squamish drive over going to a suburb. Commuting isn't nearly as bad when you're vehicle is moving.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells