Sqaumish to Vancouver commute times

June 23, 2011, 8:34 p.m.

I commute 4 days a week to Strathcona, only a couple of blocks from the bottom end of Commercial. 1hr, sometimes less from my door to my desk. Don't leave Squamish later than 7.30am or you'll have to deal with busy bridges. I'd rather do myself in than live in the city ;)

"Don't talk to me about sophistication. I've been to Leeds" - George Whitebread.

June 23, 2011, 8:52 p.m.

Agreed. However, I own a business that really only works in a large city and have spent to many years getting to a point where I am finally making some cash and the wife works for the Vancouver School board and has to many years of seniority give that up. Golden Handcuffs. Unless a relative that we don't know dies and leaves a large sum of cash, we can't afford to live in the lower mainland if we want a house. It's still cheaper to buy a shit box econo car and commute back and forth from Sqaumish, than buy a house here.

Keep on renting, one day, in the not too distant future Vancouver will get cheaper. It may be 2 years, maybe even 3 or 4, but this city will be once again affordable to the locals.

June 23, 2011, 9:18 p.m.

Keep on renting, one day, in the not too distant future Vancouver will get cheaper. It may be 2 years, maybe even 3 or 4, but this city will be once again affordable to the locals.

Nope, I own my condo, or at least the bank lets me think so. The crazy thing is, what my condo is appraised for I can own a nice house in Sqaumish. As far as the real estate market goes in Van proper, people have been saying for many years the bubble going to blow and yet it keeps going up. It may level off or drop slightly, but I don't see the value going in the toilet anytime soon.

Master of Puppets

June 23, 2011, 9:21 p.m.

McGill exit, left on Renfrew, right on Dundas, left on Nanaimo to 1st…………

win

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 23, 2011, 9:48 p.m.

wow thats a log commute

hahahahahahahhauewhaouhwa post of the decade

June 24, 2011, 6:46 a.m.

Besides the riding what makes it is great place to live? I had a buddy that thinks the weather is too crappy, but I don't care about a little extra rain.

Well, people here are a lot more relaxed. You know your neighbours - half my block has a key to my house (when I lock my doors). The mountains you can walk to - there are many great parks - perfect for kids, dogs, bikes, hikes, you name it. And as for the commute - Rainmaker nailed it when he said the drive is spectacular sometimes - and its not stop and go, bumper to bumper. Yes, its a longer ways but time wise its the same time but the stress is all gone. I moved up here and was working at 6th and 6th in New West. I went from a 35km commute Langley to New West to an 108km drive and it took me the same time - about 1hr 15min. I will never be on the east side of the Port Mann again. Can't wait till that bridge is tolled and the bitching starts.

as for the weather - your friend is full of it. it is windy here a lot more than other areas, its a combination of the winds coming down the callaghan valley from whistler and also the mamquam valley. this is great if you are into kite surfing and wind surfing. those same winds push the clouds often just east of Squamish - you can see its raining down in the city and its just windy here - you watch the storm pass by to the east.

June 24, 2011, 6:55 a.m.

for locals to buy in vancouver you would need prices to drop 50 percent or more, that will not happen in our life time. As long as Vancouver is a place people want to live and is in demand the prices will stay the same and keep going up. For the commute. Me and my wife drive 45min to work on the island to get to work and it is not that bad, We work early and get off early so do not hit traffic. It is worth it so you and your family can have a yard and squamish is a great town to boot. If i ever moved back to the mainland that is where I would move for sure. Good luck in your new home.

Builder of Little Bastard

June 24, 2011, 7:41 a.m.

squamish is definitely on my list as one of the areas to live in. as for vancouver getting cheaper.. good luck with that.

June 24, 2011, 7:44 a.m.

I waited,like a dumbass for 12 years,for prices to correct in the lower mainland before I bought.

They sky isn't falling.

Pastor of Muppets

June 24, 2011, 8:17 a.m.

wow thats a log commute

No, this is a log commute.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.