Sports & News on TV without Cable

Aug. 27, 2011, 10:12 a.m.

I opened my cable bill this morning and after I finally recovered from the shock and disgust I experience every month at this time I decided that I need to look at alternatives.

I currently use Shaw as my provider and since internet is a critical component for me, I don't see me going away from them completely but I would like to find alternatives for the TV portion. I know there are many alternatives to watch TV shows over the internet but does anybody have any good suggestions on how to watch live sports (especially NHL and CFL) and news without needing cable or sattelite since this is what I watch the most. I have a 42 inch screen plasma TV (with VGA connection amongst others) and am looking for something that will give high enough quality to be able to see the puck.

Can anybody provide some suggestions or point me to a previous discussion on this topic?

Aug. 27, 2011, 10:21 a.m.

When you find out, let me know! Sports are the only thing keeping me tethered to this freakin' cable bill as well.

Aug. 27, 2011, 12:06 p.m.

CBC broadcasts live off their site, at least for Hockey Night in Canada and the playoffs, maybe more I don't know. The quality is ok to good. CTV had amazing live feeds off their website for the Olympics, I wish CBC could borrow their tech! For the Canucks, you could purchase individual games from Rogers Sportsnet off Canucks.com last season, however it was a bit pricey at 2.99/game. Quality was good though. I'm sure there'll be more options this year, as more people are dumping cable, and just using internet.

Aug. 27, 2011, 1:18 p.m.

Spam? but OTA is the answer.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Aug. 27, 2011, 6:18 p.m.

OTA is the answer.

This.

Plus…..

Justin TV for sports like hockey, football, baseball
Veetle for soccer, global sporting events (tour de france, olympics), soccer, tennis, soccer, MMA, some US football, and soccer.

Netflix US (need a proxy server) for movies

Aug. 27, 2011, 6:21 p.m.

isn't OTA doomed at the end of this month?

Aug. 27, 2011, 6:34 p.m.

isn't OTA doomed at the end of this month?

no.. HD OTA is the only option at the end of the month. rabbit ears won't get you anything.

your TV needs an HD tuner and it's all good.

I'm in Port Moody south facing on the north side of the inlet, and get 4 HD channels. CBC, CTV, GLOBAL, OMNI.

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

Aug. 27, 2011, 6:40 p.m.

Anyone tried an NHL network subscription from NHL.com?

I bought the NHL network cable package over cable at $160/yr but have been thinking of giving up cable TV too. Not sure I'm willing to fork over the cash without a trial though to see how the quality is. Even the cable broadcast was often garbled. Unfortunately TSN, CBC etc online broadcasts are not available in US and I'm not savvy enough to rig a proxy server up.

Aug. 27, 2011, 6:45 p.m.

Anyone tried an NHL network subscription from NHL.com?

I bought the NHL network cable package over cable at $160/yr but have been thinking of giving up cable TV too. Not sure I'm willing to fork over the cash without a trial though to see how the quality is. Even the cable broadcast was often garbled. Unfortunately TSN, CBC etc online broadcasts are not available in US and I'm not savvy enough to rig a proxy server up.

how many OTA HD channels can you get down there?

Aug. 27, 2011, 6:50 p.m.

no.. HD OTA is the only option at the end of the month. rabbit ears won't get you anything.

I'm in Port Moody south facing on the north side of the inlet, and get 4 HD channels. CBC, CTV, GLOBAL, OMNI.

Ah. I was wondering what those ads were on about. I used to get the same 4 channels using rabbit ears when I lived in Kits. Haven't tried it since I moved to North Van.

Aug. 27, 2011, 7:26 p.m.

A friend of mine lives in a south facing high rise unit in upper Lonsdale and he's able to get OTA HD channels from Seattle.

Aug. 27, 2011, 7:42 p.m.

I'd love to see the NHL have a channel on apple tv like MLB has. I cancelled cable a few mOnths ago and all I could imagine missing is hockey once in a while. But I fell hard off the band wagon last year and likely won't watch any until spring. Bythen I'll have 1000 bux saved from not paying cable and I can just go to the pub every game

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Sept. 16, 2012, 5:24 p.m.

Any updates to this?

I cancelled cable two months ago and just bout NFL gamepass for football, already had MLB.tv for baseball. Trying out Unblock-US to see what I can get.. So What apps are must haves?

I have a HD tuner in my TV but no idea how OTA works..

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Sept. 16, 2012, 7:37 p.m.

I have a HD tuner in my TV but no idea how OTA works..

OTA is Over The Air. It works the way tv has worked since it was invented: plug in antenna and watch for free!

How to make an antenna: http://members.shaw.ca/hdtvantenna/

Sept. 16, 2012, 8:37 p.m.

Heh … so, how's the news hour in Mandarin working for ya??

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.