Spending money lifting and gearing a 20 year old japanese truck...

March 5, 2011, 3:59 a.m.

83L. 550km will be 70% highway on 33s, using 79-82L.

Stock tire size is 245/65/16, so 33s were a bit of an upgrade.

March 5, 2011, 2:27 p.m.

with regard to some things mentioned:

my cruiser is a BJ60 = 3.4L 4cyl diesel (3B motor)
NA, Toyota claims 84HP @ 2200rpm, others say about 92HP @ 3200rpm, about 115ft.lbs @ 1500rpm

(With 8psi turbo that goes to about 160ft.lbs
There are some cool stories about properly modded 3B's with blowers pushing ~30psi. I am getting a pyro for my birthday next week. I have an appropriate exhaust header and old supra turbo waiting for the cash for a rebuild :D)

Has about 470,000km and it is going so strong!
Gets between 10.2 and 15L/100km
Average is always about 11.5-12L/100km and is the same offroad as onroad which is the tits! Keep in mind the truck is now about 4300lbs unloaded.

With regard to comfort on hwy, I think it is pretty good. Much better than a lot of old trucks I have been in. You just must accept the mindset of driving the speed of a semi.
I have newer prelude seats, and a well broken-in OME suspension. This makes a huge difference. Sway bars would be really nice though.

timing gears = yes! awesome!
mechanical injection = yes, has injectors, but have never heard of them needing to be replaced
probably wouldn't worry about hydrolocking it, but still wouldn't want to!

The master clutch deal was at-cost from a Toyota dealer. I am eternally indebted to the parts manager now!

One issue that has been annoying me is the front axle seals seem to go quite often. I rebuilt the front axle 2.5 years ago, and the seals on one side have gone already. I was expecting them to last at least 5 years. My old man has 2 other cruisers and between the three of them it seems we are rebuilding front ends way too much. It really isn't the biggest deal having gear oil mixing with MP grease, but it just annoys me more than anything having to pull apart the hubs and everything, cleaning up the stinking mess.

Whoever was talking about ploughing through Richmond with the bumper…YES! So much fun!

can't get enough of that sodium benzoate…

March 5, 2011, 2:31 p.m.

Niggz:re axle seals.

Is there a breather on that axle that might be plugged that you're missing?

Are you using synthetic oil? (75w140 or 75w90)

Pastor of Muppets

March 5, 2011, 2:38 p.m.

yeah there is a breather, it is extended to up under the hood. I should check it out though. I doubt I put in synthetic oil; I don't remember though. But this does lead me to thinking that it may have to do with PG winters and not switching to something thinner.

March 5, 2011, 3:09 p.m.

yeah there is a breather, it is extended to up under the hood. I should check it out though. I doubt I put in synthetic oil; I don't remember though. But this does lead me to thinking that it may have to do with PG winters and not switching to something thinner.

Im not suggesting synthetics,its just that some seals dont like it too much.

…going from -30 to 40 celcius or so with a plugged breather may cause you to puke a seal in the axle if the breather is plugged and frozen.Rear axle breathers tend to stay clear as they run hotter more often than the front,thus "breathing" more often.

Hope I helped you find a solution.

Pastor of Muppets

March 5, 2011, 4:29 p.m.

put one of those dinky little K[HTML_REMOVED]N filters on your breathers.

Trucks and Guns.

March 5, 2011, 6:07 p.m.

Niggz welcome to Landcruisers and there Birfield joints. Mine leaked like crazy. I just pumped them full of grease and all was good.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

March 5, 2011, 7:29 p.m.

Is it the Birfield that's leaking or the pinion?

Worn sealing surface?

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

March 5, 2011, 8:41 p.m.

The seal between the axle housing and Birfield. Gear oil gets into the birf, then blows out the gaskets on the steering knuckle as well as the outer axle/wheel bearing seal, then into the hub. It isn't really a big deal as it is all lubricant in my mind. Like jetta-mike says, just keep the birfs full of grease and the diff full of oil and it will even itself out.

I'm sure at least half the cruisers out there have been like this for 15 years. I bet the diffs are full of water too and it doesn't even matter. These trucks will go for 10 years without any maintenance at all if needed.

March 6, 2011, 8:58 a.m.

The seal between the axle housing and Birfield. Gear oil gets into the birf, then blows out the gaskets on the steering knuckle as well as the outer axle/wheel bearing seal, then into the hub. It isn't really a big deal as it is all lubricant in my mind. Like jetta-mike says, just keep the birfs full of grease and the diff full of oil and it will even itself out.

I'm sure at least half the cruisers out there have been like this for 15 years. I bet the diffs are full of water too and it doesn't even matter. These trucks will go for 10 years without any maintenance at all if needed.

My mini truck axle is the same way. Its amazing how far 10 cents of grease will go.

March 6, 2011, 3:08 p.m.

I'm surprised your mini truck axles do that, mine are set up by guess and by golly, shims on trunnions and shit weren't checked, I just took Er apart and put it together again, I bounce the front end 3' in the air and my seals are still good. '82 axles…
Are you guys using cheap bearings? I've heard the Chinese ones suck compared to twice as expensive jap ones.

Trucks and Guns.

March 6, 2011, 3:24 p.m.

I'm surprised your mini truck axles do that, mine are set up by guess and by golly, shims on trunnions and shit weren't checked, I just took Er apart and put it together again, I bounce the front end 3' in the air and my seals are still good. '82 axles…
Are you guys using cheap bearings? I've heard the Chinese ones suck compared to twice as expensive jap ones.

if you buy chinese bearings in general they are crap. You pay for what you get in bearings, the higher the better.

Clunking is for retards.

March 6, 2011, 8:49 p.m.

I am definitely going to look up my receipts and see what I put in. I remember it was a mix of Toyota and after market parts, I seem to remember Japanese on the aftermarket boxes, but maybe it was Chinese. I will look it up and choose accordingly this time.

I really don't mind tearing the Birfields apart all that much. I am getting good and quick at it at least. The only part that drives me nuts is getting the axle C-clips on and off.

On a bearing note: One of my hubs got filled up with water and dirt and crap and chewed up the bearings a bit. After cleaning it up I tried sealing off the hub sections with some silicone based goo where the gaskets are and will see how that holds up.

March 6, 2011, 9:38 p.m.

Threads like this one and the Boobs thread are probably the only reason I click on NBR. Keep up the good work guys!

alright!!!

March 7, 2011, 11:51 a.m.

Check out what just went up for sale!

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?163707-the-hino-6x6-for-sale-again

Hino 6x6 expedition vehicle (no camper mounted) $8000.

alright!!!