Sound Bars

Oct. 24, 2016, 9:59 a.m.

I've found that my soundbar has a very specific listening area. After calibrating with the provided microphone, the listening position at that spot is decent. It actually mimics a real surround, as in it feels like I can hear sounds coming from the sides and even behind me but if I sit on the other couch at the side of the room it's pretty horrible when listening to something recorded in surround.

Oct. 24, 2016, 10:32 a.m.

My wife and I are replacing our TV this year and I was debating whether or not to replace my Yamaha 5.1 surround system. Right now I have a RocketFish Wireless receiver running my rear speakers. It's been an absolute pain in the ass lately, whenever the power fluctuates it shuts down, the surround quality seems to get worse and worse daily, the rear speaker sound shuts off for about a second every four or five minutes. I'm not really interested in running speaker wire as our living room is constantly in flux.

We're probably going to pick up the Vizio SB4051-C0, it's a 40 inch Dolby 5.1 soundbar, it has a bluetooth (obviously needs a power) subwoofer and two rear surround speakers that plug into the sub. For around $400 I think it's going to be a much cleaner setup and fits our lifestyle. Beyond that, moving the stereo receiver out of our TV stand should free up a little room and let my media PC breathe a little better.

https://www.vizio.com/en-ca/sb4051c0.html

Oct. 24, 2016, 10:39 a.m.

I bought a Sony one and it has terrible compatibility with universal remotes and phones with IR blasters in them. Generally, but a sound bar from a known speaker manufacturer. i.e. Yamaha instead of Sony.

Oct. 25, 2016, 2:22 p.m.

Sonus Playbar. Expensive but works great and isn't interrupted by phone notifications like bluetooth.

Oct. 25, 2016, 10:36 p.m.

Does anybody but me find surround sound annoying at home? I find a decent quality stereo setup very good for TV and movies. Maybe all I have heard is too many surround "demos" and haven't done enough real viewing with a surround setup.

Oct. 26, 2016, 3:56 p.m.

Does anybody but me find surround sound annoying at home? I find a decent quality stereo setup very good for TV and movies. Maybe all I have heard is too many surround "demos" and haven't done enough real viewing with a surround setup.

A good calibrated setup kicks ass. Not for TV watching, but for movies and some video games are great.