Socio-political flap of the week

March 9, 2021, 6:46 p.m.

wut

March 9, 2021, 9:01 p.m.

I think MAGA-nation is trying to be outraged that WB didn’t make the woman character in a child’s movie sexy again. 

Hot tip for the new parents out there: if you’re looking for pics and videos of the cute characters your kids love, don’t go too far past the first page of results with safe search off.

No one needs to see fan art of Twilight Sparkle twerking. No one.

March 10, 2021, 8:44 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

No one needs to see fan art of Twilight Sparkle twerking. No one.

The Bronies have entered the chat

March 10, 2021, 8:47 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: chupacabra

A lot of these concerns are meaningless anyway. It was bad enough that as a kid in the 80's we had to watch so many sexist cartoons from the 50's, but these days kids would look at Pepe or Yosemite as a historical documentary. Dr Suess is relevant still to young children so it is nice to see them keeping up with the times, but kids today are not interested in cartoons from post war era. It's just something to divide their parents. The free market cancelled those cartoons ages ago.

The Pepe issue came with new version of Space Jam 2 coming out and him being in it - so it is a current issue. His parts have since been cut.

Ahh, ok. I don't have cable and didn't even know there was a Space Jam 2. Commercials are awful, but I have found that they were pretty useful when it comes to knowing what the new movies are. My knowledge of pop culture is abysmal. I have to Google all the guests on talk shows now.

Last edited by: chupacabra on March 10, 2021, 8:48 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 10, 2021, 11:47 p.m.

A lot of these concerns are meaningless anyway. It was bad enough that as a kid in the 80's we had to watch so many sexist cartoons from the 50's, but these days kids would look at Pepe or Yosemite as a historical documentary. Dr Suess is relevant still to young children so it is nice to see them keeping up with the times, but kids today are not interested in cartoons from post war era. It's just something to divide their parents. The free market cancelled those cartoons ages ago.

The Pepe issue came with new version of Space Jam 2 coming out and him being in it - so it is a current issue. His parts have since been cut.

Ahh, ok. I don't have cable and didn't even know there was a Space Jam 2. Commercials are awful, but I have found that they were pretty useful when it comes to knowing what the new movies are. My knowledge of pop culture is abysmal. I have to Google all the guests on talk shows now.

chup' .... maybe you are just getting old?

March 11, 2021, midnight

Posted by: Mic

Getting old? He’s probably at that stage of life where there’s more hair on his ass than on his head.

Last edited by: syncro on March 11, 2021, 12:01 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 11, 2021, 9:19 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

Getting old? He’s probably at that stage of life where there’s more hair on his ass than on his head.

Haha.  I come from a long line of ape men.  Maybe a Yeti or 2 in the lineage.

And yes Mic I am getting old, but I do try to keep it fresh, especially with music.  Nothing worse than that friend that will only listen to songs from the glory days.

March 11, 2021, 1:04 p.m.

“It is time to let classical music die. Western classical music is not about culture. It’s about whiteness. It’s a combination of European traditions which serve the specious belief that whiteness has a culture—one that is superior to all others. Its main purpose is to be a cultural anchor for the myth of white supremacy.”

https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/03/11/goodbye-dr-seuss-lets-erase-the-past-with-revolutionary-zeal/

March 11, 2021, 1:18 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

“It is time to let classical music die. Western classical music is not about culture. It’s about whiteness. It’s a combination of European traditions which serve the specious belief that whiteness has a culture—one that is superior to all others. Its main purpose is to be a cultural anchor for the myth of white supremacy.”

https://www.counterpunch.org/2021/03/11/goodbye-dr-seuss-lets-erase-the-past-with-revolutionary-zeal/

seeing as that's on counterpunch we can probably be sure it's not going to go anywhere.

March 11, 2021, 6:45 p.m.

Is this premise genuine or satire?

March 12, 2021, 12:08 p.m.

What's with all the people calling him Dr. Zeus?  

March 12, 2021, 12:32 p.m.

This forum so badly needs some sort of like/dislike vote button thingy for posts like there is on the main page.

March 12, 2021, 4:42 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Is this premise genuine or satire?

You'll have to read the essay but seriously, really? lol...

March 15, 2021, 7:11 a.m.

Crypto-Art, NFT's, and the blockchain are environmental demons...

So besides being somewhat stupid imo, as represented by a digital image selling for $69 million, these things suck up a ton of energy. Either I'm way old or the world has gone mad.

https://memoakten.medium.com/the-unreasonable-ecological-cost-of-cryptoart-2221d3eb2053

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/11/22325054/beeple-christies-nft-sale-cost-everydays-69-million

Last edited by: syncro on March 15, 2021, 7:15 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 15, 2021, 9:07 a.m.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/nft-analysis-explainer-1.5933536

i supose its worth what people will pay you but for how long is that ?

its all just ones & zero's, get in get out make real money