Socio-political flap of the week

March 29, 2021, 9:18 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

The simple truth is that a fiscally conservative / socially centrist party with a pro-business / low deficit stance and a competent leader would do well in Canada but they just can't seem to get their shit together.

Harper spent too much time and effort purging the CPC of exactly that type of person.  He called them "Red Tories", and made it clear that he was using the term as an epithet.

March 29, 2021, 11:52 a.m.

has the time of pandering to the whacko-nutjob-socially-conservative-worship-the-guy-in-the-sky voter come and gone ? Are/were there really enough of them in Canada to take to the bank as in get elected to run Canada ?

In America hell yeah but I don't think the vast majority ( read Ontario/ Quebec )  are interested

the gun registry was just a poorly done piece of political theatre that would have been useless, it was the fallout from the L'ecole polythechnic massacre, the Ruger-14 that Lepin used was still legal up until very recently

at the Time i was working with a Gun nut who had at least 25 guns, he didn't like the fees to register all of them which was 25 $ each as i remember

Buddy shot black powder and that would be flint lock mind you, none of them new fangled percussion cap rifles so to commit a crime with one he would have to get you to hold still while he shot you

Last edited by: XXX_er on March 29, 2021, 12:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 29, 2021, 2:13 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

has the time of pandering to the whacko-nutjob-socially-conservative-worship-the-guy-in-the-sky voter come and gone ? Are/were there really enough of them in Canada to take to the bank as in get elected to run Canada ?

I hope so but it is hard to say.  Harper flirted with that style but could never come out openly as a full fledged socially conservative flag bearer or it would hurt him politically.  I think the vast majority of conservative Canadians are wary of that tactic.  Guns do divide us to some degree as a wedge issue, but nothing like the in US.  I also hope that we continue down the path of NOT worshipping elected leaders or parties.

March 29, 2021, 4:05 p.m.

Harper was smarter than the current crop of idealoges on social issues, a Harper quote on abortion

“As long as I am prime minister, we will not reopen the debate on abortion. I don’t want it opened. I have not wanted it opened. I haven’t opened it as prime minister. I’m not going to open it. The public doesn’t want to open it. This is not the priority of the Canadian public or this government and it will not be.”

dont' forget " the Quiet revolution " in Quebec the secularization of government 22% of Canadians are Francophone so thats almost 1/4 the pop,  not a welcome mat for the nut jobs IMO

not worshipping leaders or parties or god who ever she is ... a complete separation of church and state

Last edited by: XXX_er on March 29, 2021, 4:06 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 1, 2021, 1:29 p.m.

The people that get voted into government into government sometimes...

Kansas Rep. Mark Samsel arrested for battery after physical altercation with student

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article251069219.html

May 3, 2021, 4:56 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

The people that get voted into government into government sometimes...

Kansas Rep. Mark Samsel arrested for battery after physical altercation with student

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article251069219.html

I am pretty sure that there are some people out there who do justify such sickening behavior. If I remember correctly the former POTUS said in a different career that grabbing the private parts of a woman is no big deal, and that "they" would like that.

Last edited by: Mic on May 3, 2021, 11:13 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 3, 2021, 11:05 a.m.

Looks like our Senate actually made itself useful for once by letting Bill C-10 die.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/canadas-bill-c-10-orwellian-senator?fbclid=IwAR1YHxDrgw7M5X__IgXL91c39SJMErGvfqTSC7x3QhI-8GqrB6eAyZVoUuc

July 3, 2021, 5:11 p.m.

Did it die? Won't they just discuss it when they come back. Sure as fuck hope that bill dies.

Oct. 9, 2021, 4:18 p.m.

Seems this judge in Tennessee thinks it's a good idea to be arresting and locking children up in jail based on her discretion and with no legal context. Of course it's a white judge and in this case black girls, one of whom is 8yrs old. Oh and it took this "judge" 9yrs and 5 attempts to pass the bar exam.

https://twitter.com/bykenarmstrong/status/1446505198516535297

https://www.propublica.org/article/black-children-were-jailed-for-a-crime-that-doesnt-exist

Last edited by: syncro on Oct. 9, 2021, 4:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.