Socio-political flap of the week

March 4, 2021, 8:52 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Obviously I think its fucked that cancel culture cancels Seuss but I think its even more fucked  the same side seems to be ok with allowing kids to choose gender's let alone promoting that.

Dr Seuss Enterprises, the foundation that administers Dr Seuss' legacy, did their own research by discussing with teachers and academics.  They made this decision on their own, without being pressured by other groups.  The six affected books are actually some of the least known Seuss works, I bet most of us have never heard of them.  Not like they're pulling the Cat in the Hat or One Fish Two Fish.

"Cancel Culture" is just a right wing term for "WAAAAH we're not getting our way any more".

And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street 

If I Ran the Zoo

McElligot's Pool

On Beyond Zebra!

Scrambled Eggs Super!

The Cat's Quizzer

March 4, 2021, 8:55 a.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

So is Mortal Kombat next? Y'all remember Raiden right?

Obviously I think its fucked that cancel culture cancels Seuss but I think its even more fucked  the same side seems to be ok with allowing kids to choose gender's let alone promoting that.

It's not cancel culture if the owner of the material makes a choice to remove the material.

Ya just like Dave Chappelle pulling his old show because he thought its innappropriate. Some are just ahead of the game. Since you dont know Raiden, how about Lopan and Big Trouble in Little China?

March 4, 2021, 8:56 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

"Cancel Culture" is just a right wing term for "WAAAAH we're not getting our way any more".

So in your fragile world, everythings been built by the Right wing extremists?

March 4, 2021, 8:58 a.m.

Settle down snowflake.

March 4, 2021, 8:59 a.m.

The Gods Must Be Crazy? Does that movie portray africans accurately? Coming to America is ok though because the brothers made it right?

People where do you draw the line?

March 4, 2021, 9 a.m.

Settle down snowflake.

Since you're unfamiliar with sweet 80s and 90s pop culture:

March 4, 2021, 9:01 a.m.

A whole lot of Straw Men getting built up in here.

March 4, 2021, 9:05 a.m.

The irony is that what they are calling cancel culture is actually the free market at work. I don't recall any real outcry about these books before this move (that is what cancel culture is I thought) and like Ken said, these are not his biggest hits. I am a huge Suess fan and if I Ran a Zoo is the only one I know. I read his books to my daughter almost every night and I loved Green Eggs and Ham as a kid, but things change and this is just a wise business decision on the part of the publisher. They have already added more people of colour when they do animated versions of his books and this is another positive step for them so they can keep entertaining kids for years to come. Basically the opposite of "cancel culture".

Cancel Culture is a thing, but it when public outcry crushes a person or business and typically they are not allowed to make amends. This is anything but that. Same with Potato Head. They want to sell to everyone and it is up to them how they market that. Are you not a capitalist Shogun?

EDIT:  I should also add that Go Dog Go is a new popular animated series on Netflix which will make them a lot more cash than cancelling a few old books nobody was buying.

Last edited by: chupacabra on March 4, 2021, 9:06 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 4, 2021, 9:16 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

The irony is that what they are calling cancel culture is actually the free market at work. I don't recall any real outcry about these books before this move (that is what cancel culture is I thought) and like Ken said, these are not his biggest hits. I am a huge Suess fan and if I Ran a Zoo is the only one I know. I read his books to my daughter almost every night and I loved Green Eggs and Ham as a kid, but things change and this is just a wise business decision on the part of the publisher. They have already added more people of colour when they do animated versions of his books and this is another positive step for them so they can keep entertaining kids for years to come. Basically the opposite of "cancel culture".

Cancel Culture is a thing, but it when public outcry crushes a person or business and typically they are not allowed to make amends. This is anything but that. Same with Potato Head. They want to sell to everyone and it is up to them how they market that. Are you not a capitalist Shogun?

EDIT:  I should also add that Go Dog Go is a new popular animated series on Netflix which will make them a lot more cash than cancelling a few old books nobody was buying.

Out of curiosity, did you play a lot of Mortal Kombat with your toddler?

March 4, 2021, 9:23 a.m.

Not really.  She was dead against the Asian stereotyping although she did enjoy the finishing move where you rip out your enemy's spine.

March 4, 2021, 9:25 a.m.

IT:  I should also add that Go Dog Go is a new popular animated series on Netflix which will make them a lot more cash than cancelling a few old books nobody was buying.

Not really.  She was dead against the Asian stereotyping although she did enjoy the finishing move where you rip out your enemy's spine.

That kind of Woke Toddler culture is ruining the world.

March 4, 2021, 11:14 a.m.

Every new generation has the opportunity to learn from our past and build a better future on top of it, the beautiful thing is that us old dogs can learn from them as well.  It’s amazing to me how much I re-examine the things I “know” when I have to explain them in 3 year old terms.

March 4, 2021, 8:40 p.m.

Pretty sure pulling the spine out was Kano.

March 5, 2021, 12:19 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Every new generation has the opportunity to learn from our past and build a better future on top of it, the beautiful thing is that us old dogs can learn from them as well.  It’s amazing to me how much I re-examine the things I “know” when I have to explain them in 3 year old terms.

This.

March 8, 2021, 9:32 p.m.

If you are mad about “cancel culture” because of this but not when kapernick was “cancelled” or the dixies chicks were “cancelled” or when trumps traitors tried to cancel the election results, you’re a piece of shit