Socio-political flap of the week

March 3, 2021, 7:41 p.m.

What say ye? Complete nonsense? Reasonable considering the evidence? Burn all the books? 

Here's a link to the statement from the Dr Seuss book people:
https://www.seussville.com/statement-from-dr-seuss-enterprises/

And here's some of the material in question

https://i.ibb.co/DQw0Fgn/seuss.jpg

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Last edited by: syncro on March 20, 2021, 9:15 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 3, 2021, 7:53 p.m.

I do not like these books I say,

I do not like them any way.

I do not like the words they use,

So I'll tell you which books to choose.

I do not like the content in,

I do not like it, it's a sin.

I do not want those voices heard,

So do not publish Seuss's words.

Last edited by: thaaad on March 3, 2021, 9:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 3, 2021, 8:06 p.m.

Seems like a reasonable solution. Stop producing the inappropriate work, don’t “cancel” but keep on with the good stuff and maybe learn and grow. Same as how I still read Kipling to kids, I just change the n-bombs to words that don’t suck. There’s a good lesson about how even heros like Kipling and Seuss (although if you start digging he may deserve a cancelling. Yikes.) shouldn’t be put on a pedestal, are flawed and creatures of the obsolete thinking of their time.  

I wouldn’t show those drawings to my 3 year old until she’s old enough to understand why they’re not okay, and I’d have a difficult time rewording the “chinamen” language and stereotypes while leaving the story whole and they’re pervasive in those titles, leaving them very difficult for the publisher to alter to remove the bad and leave the good. Not much else to do with em really, unless making money by perpetuating harmful stereotypes is the goal, which most mainstream childrens  publishers try and avoid these days.

March 3, 2021, 8:08 p.m.

Posted by: thaaad

I do not like these books I say,

I do not like them any way.

I do not like the words they use,

So I'll tell you which books to choose.

I do not like the content in,

I do not like it, it's a sin.

I do not want those voices heard,

So do not publish Zeuss's words.

This is cute, I like it. 

I don’t quite agree with all of it but it’s good.

March 3, 2021, 8:38 p.m.

Man, they sure are working hard to make this a cancel culture a thing aren't they?

Today, on Dr. Seuss’s Birthday, Dr. Seuss Enterprises celebrates reading and also our mission of supporting all children and families with messages of hope, inspiration, inclusion, and friendship.

We are committed to action. To that end, Dr. Seuss Enterprises, working with a panel of experts, including educators, reviewed our catalog of titles and made the decision last year to cease publication and licensing of the following titles: And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, If I Ran the Zoo, McElligot’s Pool, On Beyond Zebra!, Scrambled Eggs Super!, and The Cat’s Quizzer. These books portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong.

Ceasing sales of these books is only part of our commitment and our broader plan to ensure Dr. Seuss Enterprises’s catalog represents and supports all communities and families.

March 3, 2021, 9:15 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

This is cute, I like it.

I don’t quite agree with all of it but it’s good.

Oh I don't know if I agree with any of it, I just wrote it in like 2 minutes when I first heard about this this afternoon. I especially don't agree with the part where I misspelled his name :/

Last edited by: thaaad on March 3, 2021, 9:16 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 3, 2021, 9:29 p.m.

Hey man, I thought the misspelling was particularly Seussian; the man liked the letter Z!

March 3, 2021, 9:30 p.m.

Posted by: Schnickelfritz

Man, they sure are working hard to make this a cancel culture a thing aren't they?

This cancel culture has gone too far, people are cancelling themselves now!

March 4, 2021, 1:19 a.m.

PETA wants to ban the novel "To Kill A Mockingbird".

March 4, 2021, 4:04 a.m.

Posted by: switch

PETA wants to ban the novel "To Kill A Mockingbird".

LoL.... 

Afew years ago, I started reading Pippi Longstockings by Swedish writer Astrid Lindgren to my kid and realized that a few expressions would e considered racist today, I changed the word and when he asked me why I had not read that N-word, I explained it to him. Amazing that little children can be more understanding and thoughtful than many grown-ups.

March 4, 2021, 8:17 a.m.

He ain't wrong ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_k5WBwUUjQ&t

March 4, 2021, 8:31 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll8el-AIBbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_EFX4dGmAI

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on March 4, 2021, 8:31 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
March 4, 2021, 8:38 a.m.

So is Mortal Kombat next? Y'all remember Raiden right?

Obviously I think its fucked that cancel culture cancels Seuss but I think its even more fucked  the same side seems to be ok with allowing kids to choose gender's let alone promoting that.

March 4, 2021, 8:40 a.m.

How about we cancel school next? Anyone else in elementary school in the 80s probably got to sing some slaver songs like I did. Remember, Shogun cracks corn and I dont care muh mastas gone away.

March 4, 2021, 8:40 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

So is Mortal Kombat next? Y'all remember Raiden right?

Obviously I think its fucked that cancel culture cancels Seuss but I think its even more fucked  the same side seems to be ok with allowing kids to choose gender's let alone promoting that.

It's not cancel culture if the owner of the material makes a choice to remove the material.