So I hate buying vehicles but...

April 21, 2016, 7:33 a.m.

What are you looking to buy? There isn't a lot of margin on the vehicles themselves. The dealer makes money on the finance and insurance contracts and vehicle accessories etc. That stuff is all high dollar.

They make the most money on the used.

However, there are some really big factory incentives from some manufacturers that make new cars really attractive. Buy at the middle of the month or very end. If they are close to their volume incentive, they may be willing to sell for a very competitive price as registering the sale may mean 10's of thousands in factory money.

Also, if you know wholesale on your, which is essentially what it's going for at auction, I wouldn't take less than that.

April 21, 2016, 7:58 a.m.

One does not buy acuras ….they are to be leased.

And you dont just trade in your prized investment…..ypu try to sell it privately, patiently wasting every sunny moment for looky loos to not show up to low ball you on it

Pastor of Muppets

April 21, 2016, 9 a.m.

What are you looking to buy? There isn't a lot of margin on the vehicles themselves. The dealer makes money on the finance and insurance contracts and vehicle accessories etc. That stuff is all high dollar.

They make the most money on the used.

However, there are some really big factory incentives from some manufacturers that make new cars really attractive. Buy at the middle of the month or very end. If they are close to their volume incentive, they may be willing to sell for a very competitive price as registering the sale may mean 10's of thousands in factory money.

Also, if you know wholesale on your, which is essentially what it's going for at auction, I wouldn't take less than that.

Looking at used, not new. I've left out the vehicle I'm interested in on purpose so the thread doesn't turn into a "who likes what" contest.

How would I find out what wholesale value on my truck is? Online resources say one thing, dealers say quite another.

April 21, 2016, 9:02 a.m.

And you dont just trade in your prized investment…..ypu try to sell it privately, patiently wasting every sunny moment for looky loos to not show up to low ball you on it

yes, I'm willing to accept some costs to avoid the hassle of selling privately.

I just want to avoid the prison rape that dealers want to deal out.

April 21, 2016, 9:04 a.m.

And what's with Documentation and Registration Fees. One dealer wanted $399 for each - $798. For filling out some paperwork? Isn't that their job? Did they have to go to law school to fill out these forms?

I had one dealer try to charge me $1,500 freight and PDI on a used car :dizzy:

Anyone who trades in their vehicle to a dealer is bending over for a @ss fvcking.

Yes you are bending over but no you don't have to take it. Personally I've found I can usually end up within about $1,000 total cost after all is said and done vs selling privately. For me I'd rather take that loss and not have to deal with the numerous idiots you have to deal with while trying to sell a car privately. My lazy side taking over I guess.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

April 21, 2016, 9:55 a.m.

Looking at used, not new. I've left out the vehicle I'm interested in on purpose so the thread doesn't turn into a "who likes what" contest.

How would I find out what wholesale value on my truck is? Online resources say one thing, dealers say quite another.

look at kijiji

April 21, 2016, 9:58 a.m.

look at kijiji

kijiji is going to give me an average asking price, same with autotrader, craigslist etc.

Finding an accurate wholesale value is the challenge.

April 21, 2016, 12:54 p.m.

Obviously you want a RAM Silverado F150 with the Tundra trim package. Nice truck.

April 21, 2016, 1:21 p.m.

Yes you are bending over but no you don't have to take it. Personally I've found I can usually end up within about $1,000 total cost after all is said and done vs selling privately.

Totally. Last time I traded in the dealer offered me within $500 of comparables on Craigslist. Wasn't worth me trying to sell it privately at that price.

April 21, 2016, 1:28 p.m.

you got a translation of that for dummies?

Guy selling you a shitty vehicle won't tell you its shitty. But seller is more likely to give you a good deal to take shitty vehicle off seller's hands.

Guy selling good car with no problems expects top dollar. If seller can't get a good price is more likely to take the car off the market and sell it privately, cuz its a good car, man.

Conclusion: Most people who advertise cars to the public are generally selling shitty cars. Sellers of bad cars drive good cars out of the used market, leaving behind mostly lemons.

Its just a model, and assumes things like

• Buyer knows less about the car and its true condition than the seller
  • Seller has no problem lying about the car
  • Seller has no documents to back up car history
  • No warranties given
April 21, 2016, 2:26 p.m.

yes, I'm willing to accept some costs to avoid the hassle of selling privately.

I just want to avoid the prison rape that dealers want to deal out.

Find comparable vehicles on craigslist, identify the best deals, price 10% below that. Youll sell quickly and easily and get a fair chunk more than trading in.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

April 21, 2016, 5:09 p.m.

Dave, I have been through the same trauma as you and have given up. I have accepted the hassle and frustration of selling privately over the need to carry a tube of preparation H to the dealerships.

Does anyone have a rough idea how much dealers mark up used vehicles advertise on autotrader etc., Also, how much mark up is considered reasonable, i.e. they make a reasonable living but you do not get screwed over?

I'm basically trying to figure out how much to discount an advertised price to make a reasonable counter offer that will be taken seriously.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

April 21, 2016, 5:28 p.m.

Dave, I have been through the same trauma as you and have given up. I have accepted the hassle and frustration of selling privately over the need to carry a tube of preparation H to the dealerships.

Does anyone have a rough idea how much dealers mark up used vehicles advertise on autotrader etc., Also, how much mark up is considered reasonable, i.e. they make a reasonable living but you do not get screwed over?

I'm basically trying to figure out how much to discount an advertised price to make a reasonable counter offer that will be taken seriously.

You take preparation H to the dealers because they give you hemorrhoids? They must be taking turns bending you over!:damn:

On a serious note, I've never had a pleasant experience at a car dealership. New or used.

April 21, 2016, 6:01 p.m.

I got $8k off original asking price on my current car. It was 10 months old, CPO, still under factory bumper to bumper warranty with no accidents. Had similar numbers in the past. I'm sure they still made money on it, plus they might get some sucker to pay the inflated asking price for your car once it's been traded in (if they don't wholesale it to another dealer).

The dealer knows what they paid for the car and how much it cost them to clean it up for the showroom. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to make money on it but some (ok, a lot) of them get greedy and hope a person falls in love with the car and lets emotion take over.

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

April 21, 2016, 6:29 p.m.

One dealer I'm talking to now seems to want give me CBB value for my truck, unfortunately they are about $4k high on the market value on their end. They showed me a bill for all the work they had to do to it after they brought it in and even showed me what they said the paid for it to justify the asking price. I asked them why they felt I should have to pay for their mistake of giving the previous owner too much.